I could use some help deciding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could use some help deciding...

Hey guys and gals, I'm in the market for a new smoker since my MES40 decided to stop functioning after a few years or usage. I'm looking at either a new MES40 with Bluetooth that Sam's Club has for $346 (https://www.samsclub.com/sams/master...rod15560335.ip) or a pellet grill that Lowes has for $349 (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Grille...-Grill/4437209) but I can't decide.

I loved my MES and made lots of good food with it but I also had a Weber charcoal grill I could grill on but I no longer have that so I figured I'd be able to do more with the pellet grill while still keeping the ease of the MES. As usual reviews are mixed on both units but a majority say both are good.

A little background, I live in Hawaii and we don't have large selections of this sort of stuff and in fact Lowes was the only place I've ever seen a pellet grill locally.

So I'd like to pose the question to you fine folks, which one do you think I should get and why? Thanks!

Not sure about shipping costs, but a Pit Barrel Cooker might be another to look at. They are pretty much set and forget rigs. I have seen people buy an extra rack(maybe Weber 22.5) and use as a grill also. Haven't grilled on mine but it turns out some good food.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Andy View Post
      Not sure about shipping costs, but a Pit Barrel Cooker might be another to look at. They are pretty much set and forget rigs. I have seen people buy an extra rack(maybe Weber 22.5) and use as a grill also. Haven't grilled on mine but it turns out some good food.
      Shipping is always a problem here, if they don't ship it here someone else charges an arm and a leg. Amazon used to ship just about anything here with Prime but they started cutting that out big time.

Comment

Originally posted by Keoni View Post
        So I'd like to pose the question to you fine folks, which one do you think I should get and why? Thanks!
        If those are your only 2 choices I'd go with the pellet grill.

I'd bet you're going to get better flavor actually burning something even if it's pellets.
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Have you thought aboot fixing your MES? I had one quite a few years ago that quit working. The problem mine had, was the connection wires in the back had fried/melted. I took the back cover off (had to drill oot the rivets) and put new electrical connectors on the wires. Sanded down the connectors, hooked it back up and it worked for a couple more years. I think it has been a fairly typical problem with some of the MES models. You might GOOGLE it or look on YOUTUBE for repair videos, before getting rid of it.

Just a thought, good luck!

Personally, I wood go with another Weber kettle, butt that's just me
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Personally, I wood go with another Weber kettle, butt that's just me
            Oh yeah. Forgot to add that to my post.
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
            X