Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native American Frybread

Native American Frybread

For the Native American tribes of the United States, frybread is a mixed bag. It is a food that is a reflection of their history and culture, and encompasses some of the most basic and fundamental philosophies of the people who made it. Its shape is a circle, the sacred hoop without end, and a metaphor for the double-facted nature of life. It is old, yet new; modern, yet traditional. It is a symbol of defeat, and a symbol of resorcefulness; it is a symbol of poverty, and a symbol of generosity. It is a reminder of lost freedoms, and a reminder of cherished memories; a reminder of conquest, and a reminder of hospitality. It is an example of making what you can with what you have, and transforming adversity into comfort.

Frybread is nothing new; it is found in various forms in many corners of the globe. In the United States, however, it is the history behind frybread, just as much as the ingredients, that make it a traditional food and common experience among the Aboriginal peoples of North America.

Beginning in the mid-1800s, the concept of frybread began to come into focus as a product of contact with Euro-American society. Among many tribes, frying cakes made of corn or other ground seeds in animal suet or tallow had been practiced for some time, using shallow or improvised cookware; however, it was after the Natives were able to obtain deeper, cast-iron pans through trade that deeper frying became more common. Along about the same time, western tribes began to receive other very basic (and often low-quality) staples such as beef, bacon, hardtack, sugar, coffee, flour, salt and lard. These staples were, at first, bestowed by the "generous White Father" upon America's "domestic dependent nations" as gifts during treaty negotiations, and also as resulting annuities once the treaties were concluded. Later, as the tribes were systematically conquered, subjugated, relocated or simply herded onto reservations, frybread emerged as an improvised product of the government-enforced dependency on federal rations and, later, commodities.

By the very early 20th Century, nearly every tribe in the lower 48 had a version of frybread; families served it at every meal, and it became as common in reservation life as the rising sun or the birds in the sky. American Indians are, by and large, a resiliant, communal people, and even in the drudgery of defeat, the twin virtues of hospitality and generosity were able to re-assert themselves into traditional Native culture. Once again, people begain getting together for festive gatherings at any opportunity; naturally, the common, inexpensive frybread, so easy to make for a crowd, was profusely available.

The magical combination of warm, filling food and a crowd of people with something to celebrate is inconquerable. Over the years, frybread, the very symbol of subjugation, defeat and dependency, underwent a transformation into an epitome of family, fellowship, good times and cherished memories. In modern terms, it became a cultural comfort food, a not-quite-old tradition that has permeated every aspect of Native life, and has even been elevated into fodder for "new" Native folklore, as seen here in this clip from the 1998 movie, Smoke Signals, in which Victor's mother, Arlene, prevents a frybread riot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB60S9WVgbs

In its most basic form, frybread is extremely simple: flour and water mixed together into a smooth dough, shaped into a circle and fried in hot fat. In nearly every recipe, baking powder is added for leavening, although sometimes yeast is used. Salt (and sometimes sugar) are added in small quantities for flavour. Another ingredient that is occasionally found is milk (or, more traditionally, powdered milk, since fresh milk was rarely, if ever, available). Although the use of milk or yeast seems to be at least partially regional, it is a safe bet that the more basic (and less complicated) it is, the more traditional and "historical" it is. Though the ingredients are for the most part universal, it is also very individual to regions or tribes, with unique tastes and textures due to slight differences in preparation, such as the way it is kneaded or the fat it is fried in.

Frybread can be served with literally almost anything; common accompaniments range from butter, honey, cinnamon and sugar to chili, cheese, meat and taco or pizza toppings. In my area of north-central Montana, frybread culture is found among the Lakota, Gros Ventres, Assiniboine, Blackfoot, Chippewa/Cree and Métis peoples, as well as the Cheyenne and Crow, farther south. These northern plains tribes tend to use a chokecherry concoction that the Lakota call "wojapi, which is somewhere between a compote and a syrup.

Here's how it went down when I made frybread recently for the family. You don't need much, just this:

And some fat of some kind; lard, shortening, or cooking oil:

I started the oil heating over medium heat while I prepared the frybread dough. You want to have 1.5 to 2 inches of fat in a large pan or deep fat fryer - cast iron is perfect for this.

The beautiful Mrs. Tas descends directly from the Blackfeet Nation, which lived a nomadic life - following the migrations of the buffalo - in the area from the Rocky Mountains of Montana to the North Dakota border; from south of the Missouri River north into southern Alberta and Saskatchewan. This means that frybread is more than a just product of our region, it is a part of my family's heritage, and I used a recipe that is, as far as I can tell, fairly traditional to the Blackfeet culture.

For each "batch" of frybread:

3 cups flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 to 1.25 cups warm water

It's not complicated at all - as mentioned above, this method comes from a time and place where there was no room for elaboration or frivolity. Just combine dry ingredients in a bowl; first, the flour:

Then, the salt and baking powder:

After stirring the dry ingredients around together with a fork, I then mixed in the warm water:

You want to start with just under a cup of water, and then add up to another half cup if necessary in order to make a stiff dough. Knead the dough until it is very elastic (it is very important to knead the dough well); you're looking for a smooth, soft, flexible dough that isn't sticky:

I repeated the above steps, since I was making two batches; then, we began working with the dough. For some reason, I didn't get a picture of the dough circles that I made (although there is one farther down during the cooking process that will give you an idea), but once again we're not talking about anything very complicated. You just need to tear off balls of dough that will flatten into round circles....

But how big should those rounds be, you ask?

Well, that's really up to you; I've seen frybread 4 inches across and I’ve seen it 8 inches across, and everywhere in-between. I am sure that it can also be bigger or smaller, as well. Blackfeet fry bread tends to be smaller when compared to frybread in the Southwestern US - closer to 4 inches across - but since I wanted to use the frybread for multiple purposes, I tried to keep them at about 6 inches across; it really is up to you, as long as it fits in the pan, I guess. As far as thickness goes, you want the rounds to be around 1/4-inch thick. When flattening the balls into rounds, keep in mind that dough shaped by hand will result in more tender (tenderer?) frybread than dough rolled with a rolling pin.

Then comes another question of import: should you punch a hole in the center, or not?

Well, once again, the answer is partly a matter of tradition and partly a matter of preference. In many tribes, a hole was punched through the center in order to help cook the frybread more evenly and decrease the chance of air bubbles; however, in some areas no hole was punched and it seemed to turn out fine. In this preparation, I made some with a hole and some without - and then with some, I cut a slit rather than punched a hole. All seemed to come out about the same, but I think cutting the slit worked best...for me. It allowed even cooking, but also, as the frybread rose and swelled in the hot fat, it closed up the "hole" so that the toppings we planned on using later wouldn't fall through. It worked for me - use whatever method works for you.

In any case, you want to have the dough shaped, flattened and ready before you start to cook, as the cooking process goes pretty fast.

When the time comes to begin cooking, the fat should be quite hot, almost to the point of smoking. As for the cooking, once again, it's easy: simply fry the rounds one at a time, dropping each into the fat to cook for a few seconds (the time will vary according to the temperature of the fat), then flipping it over when it gets golden brown

And cooking the other side for a little longer until it is also golden-brown.

Nothing could be easier, if you ask me, to produce such good results. What you end up with is a wonderful-smelling, warm piece of fry bread that is just crisp on the outside and tender-chewy on the inside.

Here's another one:

As they come out of the fat, you want to drain them on paper towels:

Looking here, you can also get an idea of what the flattened rounds should look like.

Contrary to the picture above, I found that the best results came from the bread when I put a paper towel between each finished round:

When all the rounds are transformed into golden, delicious frybread, you're done and ready to eat! But don't be so eager that you forget to shut off the heat to the oil - that could have some disastrous results.

Frybread can be served as-is, or with a little butter on it to accompany a meal, sopping up broth, gravy or other stuff. This is surely how it was used day-to-day as the native peoples struggled to transition their cultures and lifestyles with all the strikes against them; but as mentioned above, frybread grew into something more as the people persevered and found reasons to celebrate. Eventually, frybread became the basis of so many wonderful things, to be shared with family and friends.

We all have our favourite ways to serve it; for the beautiful Mrs. Tas, it is a mixture of butter, honey, sugar and cinnamon:

While mine is with wojapi and maybe a little butter.

The two examples above show fry bread as a "snack" or a dessert, but that's not all you can do with it. I looked around the refrigerator and pantry to see what we had, and came up with some ingredients for a veritable feast:

One of the most popular modern uses for frybread is for "Indian tacos;" You can find them everywhere in Indian Country, on the street, in cafés and restaurants, at fairs and festivals, and of course at pow-wows. Using "taco meat," refried beans, taco sauce, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, olives and spring onions from our own garden, we transformed some of the frybread into Indian tacos:

Then, using pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, we made a few "Indian pizzas" as well:

Easy as can be, and extremely versatile, frybread can serve as a reminder to us all that good things can come from tragic situations, and that the concept of "peasant cooking" - making the best of what you can from what you have, even in poverty - can take on many delicious forms. The examples above, showing a few various incarnations of frybread, were warm and cozy, truly speaking to the heart of home, friends and family. They are what we did in our home - how about taking up the thread and seeing where it leads, and what you will do with frybread in your home?
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-23-2012, 05:16 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Interesting read, never had frybread but it's probably not bad.
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

I used to make it like that. Now I call it grill dough. Good stuff

Comment

Interesting post. I'm looking forward to more from you on this subject.
        Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
        Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
        SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
        Yoder Wichita
        Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
        Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
        Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Great stuff as always RON.......Thanks for thread and on re-load......

Comment

We have an Indian Festival in town every year...it's a HUGE deal. It's the Tahono O'odham Indian Tribe . It's called "O'odham Tash"

Frybread stands open up on every corner. The lines are 20+ people deep until late in the night.

It truly is one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten. For dinner, you get a red chile popover (Indian Taco is what they're called here), which is a flat popover, w/ large scoops of red, or green chile, then cheese, and lettuce on top.

For dessert you get a popover, w/ drizzled honey over it, then a healthy shaking of powdered sugar on top of that.

If you get the chance to eat the real thing, do it! They're one of those items that I feel like an entire restaurant could be based around. Yet, they seem sparser as I get older which worries me.

Comment

>>>you get a red chile popover (Indian Taco is what they're called here), which is a flat popover, w/ large scoops of red, or green chile, then cheese, and lettuce on top. For dessert you get a popover, w/ drizzled honey over it, then a healthy shaking of powdered sugar on top of that.<<<

yep, same here, except the indian tacos up here also have taco meat and usually beans of some kind.
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                >>>you get a red chile popover (Indian Taco is what they're called here), which is a flat popover, w/ large scoops of red, or green chile, then cheese, and lettuce on top. For dessert you get a popover, w/ drizzled honey over it, then a healthy shaking of powdered sugar on top of that.<<<

yep, same here, except the indian tacos up here also have taco meat and usually beans of some kind.
                Yup. I should've said that's how I order them. A ton of people love a plain bean & cheese popover. Those are great too

Comment

man, i love a good frybread! indian tacos are great but i really like a warm frybread with just honey! great read and thx for posting!
                  sigpic
                  it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
                    If you get the chance to eat the real thing, do it! They're one of those items that I feel like an entire restaurant could be based around. Yet, they seem sparser as I get older which worries me.
                    TD, there is a place called the frybread house on baseline and dobson.....you should try it when yer up this way.........
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                      Interesting read, never had frybread but it's probably not bad.
                      You are missing real culture then.

My wife is of Cherokee and I am of a combo Apache and Comanche, no jokes please. Heard them all and none of them fit at all. We have been married for 31 years come next Tuesday. We eat frybread almost daily just as our ancestors. Because of our own individual heritages, we have learned a lot about each others.

White people here in this land owe their cornbread to the basic principal of fry bread.

Indian Taco's, what a joke and a real derogatory thing. I rarely state public opinions on such matters.

This was a good thread on fry bread. What you all read in the beginning is extremely accurate and important. Don't lose sight on that. The wisdom in the opening read is very important. Fry bread was born and handed down through the centuries. What you eat today at most festivals is far from real fry bread. The intrusion of white people on the native culture accomplished almost all of what they intended. But there are still small vestiges of times and traditions gone by. Our fry bread is not made with yeast. When our forefathers made it, yeast was unheard of, so was baking powder. Our different recipes are never shared outside of the family, we keep it as whole as we can and never change it. We do pour honey on it, that is about all.

I'll watch the video when posted.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the non-PC version is still called Indian Fry Bread... Good stuff no matter what it is called.

I remember going to the Winternationals at Beeline Dragway (no longer in existence), which was on one of the Indian Reservations, as a teenager & walking in the gate & seeing some of the locals prepping their booth. As we passed by early in the morning we saw them scraping off this big old rusty, crusty slab 'o steel. When we passed back by later in the day to get some frybread they were cooking burgers on that rusty, crusty hunk 'o steel. We passed on the frybread.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                        Paul

Comment

g'morning, and thanks for the kind words! i'll have more for y'all, hopefully right after this weekend!
                          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Love fry bread, only ever had it with honey on it though. I might have to try this as a taco base!
                            Mustang electric smoker
                            King Kooker vertical gasser
                            Charbroil silver smoker
                            Earnhardt Jr smoker
                            Brinkman smoke n' grill
                            a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

once you try it, you're going to love it ~ outstanding stuff ~
                              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Working...
                              X