Stromboli!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stromboli!

We start with pizza dough. I got this recipe from Vlap (Jeff Martin)

Ingredients:
    3 1/2 cups flour - 2 1/2 cup unbleached bread, 1 cup whole wheat
    1 cup warm water
    2 teaspoons yeast
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Pour warm water into a bowl. The water should be about 85 to 115° F. Test it with your hand. It should feel very warm, but comfortable. Add the honey and salt. Mix by and hand (or any other method) until well blended. Add the yeast and mix some more. Let this mixture sit for about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of flour and the olive oil and mix until well blended. Add the rest of the flour (and any other additions) and mix well. The dough should turn into a ball. If the dough does not ball up because it's too dry, add water one tablespoon at a time until it does. If your mixture is more like a batter, add flour one tablespoon at a time. Adding water or flour as needed to get the right consistency will assure you always get a perfect dough. Just remember to do it in small amounts.

Once the dough is balled up, place the ball on a floured board and knead for about a minute. This builds the gluten which helps the dough to rise and become fluffy when cooked. Place the dough in a plastic grocery bag or a covered bowl and store in a warm, dry area to rise.

After about 45 minutes the dough should have about doubled in size. Show it who's boss and punch it down. That's right, give it a good smack so it deflates. Let it rise for another hour to an hour and a half. The dough is now ready to be rolled out. You can punch the dough down one more time if you want and wait another hour or two before rolling out. The choice is yours.

While the dough is rising make the filling. This recipe also came from Vlap. I use this sauce as a base and add Italian Sausage (mine), Mozz, fresh grated Pariseamo, rehydrated Shitaki, onion, green pepper, carrot and celery. Basil, thyme, rosemary, red & white pepper, red pepper flakes and fresh garlic. 16 oz. Organic Crushed Tomatoes, Italian Herbs to taste, Salt and pepper to taste. Splash of balsamic vinegar.

Into the pizza Weber @550° for about 25 minutes, till the dough starts to brown. (no pic in the Weber)

Yummmm! I made two, don't have to cook fer a couple days!
    Last edited by Mark R; 02-20-2017, 03:53 PM.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

That is a Calzone in my neck of the woods!!! a "Stromboli" up here is rolled like a jelly roll would be...

Either way that looks killer!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
      That is a Calzone in my neck of the woods!!! a "Stromboli" up here is rolled like a jelly roll would be...

Opps! You might be close to something there...

Hey Rich or Dave, could you make a Lil adjustment in the title....please?
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Here I'd call that a calzone as well. I would also be all over it.

Pete
        Large BGE
        Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Personally I'd call that "Yummmm"!!

Looks Great Mark!!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post

That's kinda like Mexican food, they have a bunch of different names for meat on a tortilla... taco, burrito, flauta, chalupa, tostada, ect. and they're all good!!!

Comment

Looks killer Mark, whatever you call it
              sigpic

Comment

I really need to retire. You're having WAY to much fun.

Oh, and whatever you made looks sensational.

Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Thats a nice one!
                  sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
                  Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
                  Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Yeah I would call it GONE!
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Another well executed project.
                      Ed

Smoke Vault 24
                      Vermont Castings Gas Grill
                      Thermoworks Smoke
                      The "Fastest" Orange Thermapen around!
                      The Neighbor's 36" Blackstone

Comment

Good eats for sure
                        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                          Yeah I would call it GONE!
                          yeah what he said.
                          sigpic

Comment

That's a Stromboli around here, a calzone has all cheese fillings. Looks tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That looks awesome Mark. As far as what to call it... it don't matter. Just get it in me belly...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X