best cuts for burgers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best cuts for burgers?

I'm getting tired of the same old tasteless "ground beef" from the grocery store for making hamburgers and the wife asked about grinding our own. So, in that vein, what cut(s) do you all use for your burgers and why?

I did a quick search on here and didn't turn up much. A search of the internet results in probably 100 years worth of reading, but I'd rather have you guys' opinions as I trust you all more than the general internet.

One blog I found on the internet that actually tested out various blends for both flavor and texture recommended this:

6 oz sirloin
    5 oz brisket (does not specify point or flat, I would assume point)
    10 oz oxtail

And while that sounds good it would be both cost prohibitive, brisket point is generally only available in whole packers around here and quite expensive, as is oxtail which can be found but you need to do some looking for it.

i was thinking maybe sub'ing out the oxtail and replacing it with tritip since that's easy to find and fairly cheap if you get it on sale. But I'm not sure. Seems like that would be a lot less fatty.

Anyway, what is your go-to recipe for ground beef for burgers? thanks in advance!
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

I just go with ground chuck and cook it on a griddle.

Perhaps a little dry rub but I try and keep it simple. Never had a need to change.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Been going with a chuck roll (big suckers...20-25 lbs), which is what a chuck roast comes from. So yup, chuck roast will work fine!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

All read well, hungry now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Darren

Comment

BACON...
          I'm just sayin'...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
          Paul

Comment

I copied these. https://slaters5050.com/ and they were banging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I use ribeye/prime rib trim as well as trim from beef tenderloin, chuck roasts, sirloin steaks, boneless short ribs, brisket, and oh yeah bacon ends. The local commissary had choice briskets for $1.25/lb as a manager's special and a co-worker (Air Force guy) snagged 3 of them. Nothing like a 16# packer brisket for $20. He planned to make one burger.

Comment

Chuck roast is my go to cut.
                But a lean cut like round with pork fat is awesome too.
                Double grind through a medium plate, and I like a 75/25 blend.
                sigpic

Comment

TT for Ox tail would not be a good sub. Beef shank perhaps... or short rib.

Got any of the Just Add Beef? Try a Tbsp or so per pound mixed in the grind. I’ll send ya a couple OZ’s if ya wanna play. :{)
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I usually go 50% beef to a mix of other meatd: pork shoulder, turkey thigh, pigeon breast, venison, bacon - whatever i've got really.
                    cheap bacon is a given :-)
                    and you need to a good spice mix.

As for what cut of beef - just whatever is cheapest. Usually stewing steak.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Like Phil already mentioned, I've used a 25 LB chuck roll and add some cheap bacon for a little added flavor. I have not done it with home-made bacon which would probably even make it better and cheaper.
                      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Our favorite is still:
                        50% Venison (Well trimmed)
                        25% Beef (80/20)
                        25% Pork (Butt)

Mixed real good & add about 2 TBS of "Worcestershire original" per pound.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

thanks everyone, definitely food for thought.
                          Mike
                          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                            I'm getting tired of the same old tasteless "ground beef" from the grocery store for making hamburgers and the wife asked about grinding our own. So, in that vein, what cut(s) do you all use for your burgers and why?

I did a quick search on here and didn't turn up much. A search of the internet results in probably 100 years worth of reading, but I'd rather have you guys' opinions as I trust you all more than the general internet.

One blog I found on the internet that actually tested out various blends for both flavor and texture recommended this:

6 oz sirloin
                            5 oz brisket (does not specify point or flat, I would assume point)
                            10 oz oxtail

And while that sounds good it would be both cost prohibitive, brisket point is generally only available in whole packers around here and quite expensive, as is oxtail which can be found but you need to do some looking for it.

i was thinking maybe sub'ing out the oxtail and replacing it with tritip since that's easy to find and fairly cheap if you get it on sale. But I'm not sure. Seems like that would be a lot less fatty.

Anyway, what is your go-to recipe for ground beef for burgers? thanks in advance!
                            You may want to experiment with different brands of ground beef. I always eat tasty burgers and other forms of beef.

Comment

keep in mind that your most flavorful meat comes from closest to the bone or with the most connective tissue in it. So if using chuck or sirloin toss in some beef shank meat as well and grind together. I try to avoid the connective tissue, trim it out well.
                              Charbroil SFB
                              GOSM
                              MES
                              Dutch Ovens and other CI
                              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X