Fine Tuning Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine Tuning Ribs

Been playing around a bit and adjusting the times for ribs. Started off with 2-2-1 (since they're baby backs) on the drum as a reference point. As expected, they were falling off the bone. Tasted great but I like a little bit of tug. I like to at least be able to cut them into servings.

So on Saturday, I tried 2-1.5-1. I was also watching the appearance and trying to get used to the visual cues. At 2 hours there was a little pull back -- maybe 1/8" so I put them in the foil. After 1.5 hours, I opened the foil and grabbed the tongs for the "bend test". The meat came apart and I had 2 mini racks!! Holy crap, I didn't expect that. Put them back on for an hour and glazed them every 15 minutes with a glaze that I came up with which was the combination of LOTS of other glaze recipes.

Pulled them off and let them set for just a bit and proceeded to (try to) slice them up. As expected, they were a little difficult to slice without the meat falling off. Had a scary sharp knife with a really good point so I was able to do a decent job.

These ribs were rubbed with Rich's rub and with the addition of the glaze tasted phenomonal. My wife said they were the best yet. (I know -- no pics, didn't happen. We ate them too fast!!)

Now comes lots of questions. I'm pretty happy with the taste but need to work on the texture a little bit. So what would be the next modification you folks would recommend. Maybe 2-1-1? Baby backs in 4 hours seems kind of quick but the drum does seem to cook a bit faster than my offset. Also, I've read that some folks shorten the time in the first phase. When would you do that? If you are getting too much pull back before phase two? I've read that some folks shorten the third phase as well. What aspect of the texture would shortening the third phase affect?

Or should I abandon time all together and just go by the look and feel. If so, what is an appropriate interval to check them at? After the first two hours maybe every 30 minutes?

Thanks for your input.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Look and feel is the best way, Dave. Time is a guide to let you know ABOUT when to look. My schedule with BB's is more like 1.5 45 45... when I foil. Don't always foil any more, especially babies.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I agree with Rich. It takes a while to get it figured out, I am still workin on that part. I have started fooling with the first number, making them sit in the pit longer without foil,and then a short foil time.I think I have found my happy place in the Lang at 2.5-1-1 and thats at 240-250.
      Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Thanks, guys. That will give me something to try.

If you check 'em and you're not satisfied that they're ready to move to the next step, how long do you wait to check again -- 15 minutes -- 30 minutes? I wouldn't things would change too quickly cooking at 250°.

Dave
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        -

Comment

With BB's I'd go with the 15. You'd be surprised how fast they can change. Might wanna keep a log too...for reference.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            With BB's I'd go with the 15. You'd be surprised how fast they can change. Might wanna keep a log too...for reference.
            Thanks, Rich.
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            -

Comment

I agree with Dan on this one...add to the first time, shorten the foil time. I personally for baby backs, add 1/2 hour ( so 2 1/2 with smoke on ) then foil for 1 1/2. then the last part depends on how im finishin them. if i just leave em dry rubbed i'll go maybe 1/2 hr to 45mins. if i sauce or glaze i'll go 45mins to 1hr. like rich said 15mins makes a difference

2 Weber Kettles
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
              Brinkman ECB
              Charbroil 940X
              Project UDS
              Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

Working...
              X