Rib Lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib Lunch

Took a vacation day today. Got vacation time a little backlogged at work so I figured I'd take one. Wife is working . . . kids are at school . . . I know . . . I'll smoke something.

Doing a single rack of babybacks. Gonna try a couple things different. Nothing major, but Mrs. DDave always gets funny when I start experimenting so I figure today is a good day to do it. Will be just me for lunch. Hell, I may eat the whole rack!! Or, if they come out really good and the timing is right, I may take 'em to work and share some.

Anyway, here they are after a night in the fridge and a morning dusting with Rich's rub.

And here they are on the drum.

Spritzed after an hour and a half or so with apple juice and Captain Morgans. (had to take the kids to school and stop by the grocery store. Man, I love that the drum can take care of itself for those times. )

And time to foil.

Foiling bone side up this time. Never really thought about doing it that way until it came up in this thread. After it's out of the foil, I'll glaze them with some Sweet Baby Ray's cut with some of the juice from the foil. I'll let the drum creep up at this point to see if I can get the glaze to "set". I haven't had much luck getting the glazes to set in the past.

So we'll see how it goes. The backyard smells awesome right now.

Oh, and if I can sneak away, I might get some pics for the Sportin' Your Gear.!!! thread.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

On Edit: Oops . . . I meant foiling bone side up.
    Last edited by DDave; 09-04-2009, 01:25 PM.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Looking good..... Your plan sounds perfect: Friday afternoon off, smoking some ribs, and whatever else comes along with a Friday afternoon
    sigpic

Comment

You livin' the life now, my man! Bone side down...I predict about an hour to 1.5 in the foil... Whaddia think?
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I've never thought about the bone-up/bone-down thing before, but after reading the thread, I guess it makes sense. I guess I really don't know everything like my kids think I do, or at least I tell them I do..
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          You livin' the life now, my man! Bone side down...I predict about an hour to 1.5 in the foil... Whaddia think?
          You meant bone side down, didn't you Rich? I fixed that in my earler post and I think that's what you said in the other thread.

Anyway, yep, 1.5 hours was just about perfect. It was getting REAL tender but the bones were still holding on.

Glazing them up now.

With them bone side up, a lot of the pepper in the rub must end up in the foil juice. I poured the juice into a pan and added a little Sweet Baby Ray's then stirred it and took a taste test. Went down the wrong pipe and I was coughing my head off for awhile.

Won't be long now..

Boy they are going to be good.

Dave
          Last edited by DDave; 09-04-2009, 01:37 PM.
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

I'm curious to see how this turns out DDave. Never did bone side up on foil yet. looks great so far Bud. Can't wait to see the final product. All the best and for the try. Today we should call you Danger Dave, just for the adventure side of ya...
            Last edited by Zeeker; 09-04-2009, 01:46 PM.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Rich has my vote too.
              GOSM Big Block
              Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
              Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
              Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Comment

Well, it was my contention that bone side down will be longer in the foil than bone side up...due to the meat being more exposed to the cooking juices and higher heat. Had you gone bone up, I'd have said a half to 3/4 hour.
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well, it was my contention that bone side down will be longer in the foil than bone side up...due to the meat being more exposed to the cooking juices and higher heat. Had you gone bone up, I'd have said a half to 3/4 hour.
                  Well, I did go bone side up . . . and you were right . . . 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour would have been better. I went 1.5 hours and it was a little too long. The rack couldn't quite hold together but the bones weren't falling out yet.

No matter, it still looks like lunch to me.

Tried to slice them a bit but the meat was a tad overdone.

Incredibly tender though. Not quite falling off the bone but not much tug to speak of. Still tasty though. I like the Sweet Baby Rays mixed with the foil juices as a glaze. I let the drum go up to 300° for the last hour or so. Made the bone side of the rack a little crispy in spots but set the glaze pretty well.

Not the most nutritious lunch I've had in awhile but it sure was delicious. Now I need a nap. And someone wants a crack at the bones.

All in all pretty darn tasty. I think the only things I would change would be to shorten the time in foil to about 3/4 of an hour and maybe not take the temp quite so high in the third stage.

Thanks for looking.

Dave
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

Looks great. I might have to get a couple slabs and do a side by side experiment next time I am hungry for ribs.
                    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

So the rub was OK too I assume. Sure looked like that last pict...no complaints LOL! Great lunch!

Comment

Looks good DDave. Looks real good.

Tom

Comment

Yeah Man!...that be gooood!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

So the rub was OK too I assume. Sure looked like that last pict...no complaints LOL! Great lunch!
                            The rub was great of course. Or at least as good as I can make it with the ingredients I have available. Looking forward to getting some of the real stuff when it's ready.

Dave
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            -

Comment

Ribs look great. Beats a day at work eh?

2 Weber Kettles
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
                              Brinkman ECB
                              Charbroil 940X
                              Project UDS
                              Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

Working...
                              X