No announcement yet.

Newbie needing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a MES40 and Bearcarver's info is spot on.
    I would suggest pellets instead of chips, a tray from A-maze-n would be ideal.
    Also a Thermoworks "smoke" temp probe system or something similar.
    Electrics lose a lot of heat when you open the door and take 15 minutes or so to get back to temp so that will affect your cooking times.
    Times are a ballpark, cook to temp as others have suggested, there really isn't any other way.

Mad Hunky's salmon brine/cure and an electric smoker makes some awesome fish.
    Welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I tried to remove membrane - got some but MAN that's hard to do!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseL View Post
        Butter knife and dry paper towels. Reminds me of skinning a catfish. Well kinda, catfish have tougher skins.

Look at the Bottom of Bearcraver's posts and you will see his body of work. He sure does know his way around a MES.
        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseL View Post
          You Tube probably has two or three dozen videos that might help ya out
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

I agree with everyone, Bearcarver is without question the expert using a MES.
            Someone mentioned getting an A-MAZE-N smoker, excellent advice. Check out Owen's BBQ who are members here and they'll take care of you.
            I have a MES, and I can tell you that using that chip drawer for smoke is pretty much a joke, so my first step would be to handle that. I think you'll find things will go much easier after that.

And by the way, from New Jersey.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

so, butter knife to avoid stiches when you slip.

slide the butter knife along the most exposed edge of bone on the biggest rib. Stick your finger under the skin and work it off the bone.using a dry paper towel, grab the silver skin and firmly but gently pull up perpendicular to the ribs, keeping your other hand holding the rib rack. Sometimes it will pull off in one piece. sometimes the fuckers tear apart and you have to fight it off. no cutting. it's tearing. like tearing off skin. It will make more sense you actually do it. kind of like a Kansas serial killer. just sayin'....

plenty of videos out their about ribs. only a couple about those Kansas guys...
              sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

ribs are ez in the mes...my Louie does the rib rub after i get the membrane off...pre-heat to max temp...chips in...light smoke...ribs or WIBS for P4 ...cook & go...then do what you want foil or whatever...
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                  so, butter knife to avoid stiches when you slip.

slide the butter knife along the most exposed edge of bone on the biggest rib. Stick your finger under the skin and work it off the bone.using a dry paper towel, grab the silver skin and firmly but gently pull up perpendicular to the ribs, keeping your other hand holding the rib rack. Sometimes it will pull off in one piece. sometimes the fuckers tear apart and you have to fight it off. no cutting. it's tearing. like tearing off skin. It will make more sense you actually do it. kind of like a Kansas serial killer. just sayin'....

plenty of videos out their about ribs. only a couple about those Kansas guys...
                  Dat de cheet! how ya get it done!
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Great to have you join us DeniseL, from North Dakota!
                    You've joined the right place for advise!
                    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Working...
                    X