Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Smokin meat Wu-Tang Style

wutang Is  A Name Known To All
wutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To All
Default Basic Pork Ribs. 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 Method Tutorial

The simplest way to get tender ribs when smoking pork ribs is by using the 3-2-1 method. The 3-2-1 method specifically applies to spare ribs (the same effect can be achieved with babyback ribs using a 2-2-1 method). This means that the ribs are smoked for 3 hours-then wrapped in foil with liquid for 2 hours-then put back in the smoker for 1 more hour. Baby backs follow the same procedure but using 2 hours in the smoker, 2 hours in the foil, then 1 hour back in the smoker. I like to run temps around 230-250 degrees. Some like temps a little lower or a little higher, you will just have to find what works best with the smoker you are using.

Here is the basic procedure from start to finish. Starting with a few slabs of babyback ribs

To prep the ribs for the smoker, I like to rinse them under cold water after removing them from the cryopac. Then remove the membrane from the back side of the ribs. I start by sticking a butterknife between the rack and the membrane.

Then grab a hold of the membrane and lift up.

Then pull the membrane off all the way.

Here is a pic to see the difference. The rack on top has the membrane removed. The rack on bottom does not yet.

Then cover the ribs in your favorite dry rub.

And put them in the smoker.

Now leave them alone for the first 3 hours for spare ribs or the first 2 hours for babyback ribs. After that time, you will see some color change on the outside surface and some meat pulling back from the bone. They are now ready for the next phase. Here is a pic of the pullback you are looking for.

Now wrap them in foil adding a few ounces of liquid. Apple juice is the standard. Some will mix apple juice with other ingredients like whiskey. In this case I am using Woodchuck's Draught Cider. One beer bottle is enough for all 3 racks of ribs. I wrap them with the meat side down because I have had bones poke the foil while taking on/off the smoker causing me to lose the liquid.

Now back onto the smoker all wrapped up

This is the part of the cook where you can determine how "fall off the bone" you want them to be. The longer they spend in the foil, the more tender they will be. After the time in the foil they are ready for the 3rd phase of the cook. You will pull them out of the foil and put them back on the smoker to firm up.

Another pic of them out of the foil

You will now leave them in the smoker for the last hour to firm up because when coming out of the foil they will be VERY tender. But after a little more time in the smoker they will be just right.

Please keep in mind that the "3-2-1" or "2-2-1" times are just a guideline. These times can be adjusted to suit your personal preference. Personally I lilke to do babyback ribs at 2-1.5-.75. Meaning that they are in the smoker for 2 hours, then foiled for 1 1/2 hours then back in the smoker for about another 45 minutes. But it is all up to you and what kind of tenderness/texture you prefer.

Thanks for checking out the pork rib tutorial
KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Last edited by wutang; 09-02-2009 at 12:15 PM.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 08-24-2009, 03:57 PM
My Alter Ego

ShooterRick Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & SmokingShooterRick Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking

Nice looking ribs. I personally prefere St. Louis cut spares and would only add that
3.5-2-.50 works well for them at 225-250 F. Good job!

A camel is a horse that was put together by a czar and a committee!
My Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083
Old 09-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

yeah might be worth adding max & min temps to the tutorial wutang. I know for a fact that my bradley was never hot enough to do ribs.
I'd say never cook ribs at 200 or below, min temp might be higher but that's as high as the bradley ever got.
I now have a totally different rib method (no hot water or oven involved lol) that works for me. But if I ever get a smoker that'll maintain a hot enough temp I'll try 3-2-1 again.

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Smokin meat Wu-Tang Style

wutang Is  A Name Known To All
wutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
yeah might be worth adding max & min temps to the tutorial wutang. I know for a fact that my bradley was never hot enough to do ribs.
I'd say never cook ribs at 200 or below, min temp might be higher but that's as high as the bradley ever got.
I now have a totally different rib method (no hot water or oven involved lol) that works for me. But if I ever get a smoker that'll maintain a hot enough temp I'll try 3-2-1 again.
Thanks CA. I edited my above post to include temps.
KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan
Old 03-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Just Smokin

smokemania Knows How To Mop The Meat

I had done the 3-2 part but I didn't put them back on the smoker and I haven't realy been happy with my ribs hopefully with a different rub and putting them back on for an hour will fix my problem thanks

Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
Great Out doors grill
Brinkman verticle
And one great UDS
Crooked Creek Viszlas
Old 03-20-2010, 02:14 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemania View Post
I had done the 3-2 part but I didn't put them back on the smoker and I haven't realy been happy with my ribs hopefully with a different rub and putting them back on for an hour will fix my problem thanks
Well..what was your problem with them?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Mmm.... Mad Hunky is fabulous on ribs, and, and, and.....
Old 03-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Just Smokin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemania

Well..what was your problem with them?

They were not tender enough and the flavor was not their
The rub I used was
2 c sugar
.25 c paprika
2 tsp chili powder
.5 tsp cayenne
.5 c salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
I think I am going to pick up some mad hunky rub and do the 321. Do you ever mop the ribs if so when would you start that process.

Great Out doors grill
Brinkman verticle
And one great UDS
Crooked Creek Viszlas
Old 03-21-2010, 09:05 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Well, sounds like you either din't foil long enough, or perhaps the pit was too cool?

That rub you posted is kinda outta kilter- waaay too much sugar, and about half the paprika you should use- roughly.

Be happy to supply ya with some MH- you can just send me a PM or order it thru the site in my sig :{)
Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Just Smokin

I am going to order some I was trying to keep the smoker at 175 to 225 which I have learned from this sight the 175 is just not warm enough, probably should stay around the 225 level.
What is a PM order?

Great Out doors grill
Brinkman verticle
And one great UDS
Crooked Creek Viszlas
Old 03-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Fishawn Wannabie

Doug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

OK here I go with another "newb" question (and this could be a dumb one since there are pics) but when foiling the ribs do they go directly back into or onto the smoker so in reality they are in the heat the total time ? Reason I ask is I did some last weekend that when in the foil I just left them on the counter for 2 hrs. then un-foiled poured the juices back over them then back in the smoker for the last hour. Turned out pretty good but I'm doing some more today and want to make sure I'm doing it right
Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe
Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
The Vortex
Old 03-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Fishawn Wannabie

Doug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemania View Post
I am going to order some I was trying to keep the smoker at 175 to 225 which I have learned from this sight the 175 is just not warm enough, probably should stay around the 225 level.
What is a PM order?
Private message thru the site....works great
Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe
Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
The Vortex
Old 03-21-2010, 10:03 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Yes, they go back on the heat. Keep an eye on 'em after an hour or so. Don't want pulled pork ;{)
Old 03-21-2010, 10:07 AM
The Mad Hunky!

225 to 250- Keep it in there. Some folks cook a bit higher even. And when it comes to poultry, keep it above 250, some cook that in the 300 range.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Pit Master

SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All

Depending on what your using as fuel in your smoker and want to conserve it. After you foil you could just place them on a sheet pan in a preheated oven, (Just because heat is heat) and they are done smokin. After that you could set them indirectly on a gas grill or what ever grill you use, or then again back in the oven with a glaze or sauce.

Last edited by SmokinLee; 07-17-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:56 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinLee View Post
Depending on what your using as fuel in your smoker and want to conserve it. After you foil you could just place them on a sheet pan in a preheated oven, (Just because heat is heat)
Shhh, Lee...

That's what I do at home....
Old 06-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Go Faster.... Go Faster

Crewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinLee View Post
Depending on what your using as fuel in your smoker and want to conserve it. After you foil you could just place them on a sheet pan in a preheated oven, (Just because heat is heat) you use, or then .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Shhh, Lee...

That's what I do at home....
Geeezzzz, and I thought I was the only one who doesnt like to waste fuel when meats are foiled.....
Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Meat Mopper

BrewMasterJosh Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & SmokingBrewMasterJosh Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking

Thanks for the info, cant wait to try.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Fire Starter

Fife Is Just Starting Out

Nice how to

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Pork

Tags
2-2-1, 3-2-1, ribs