Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 03-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
Default First run of the dedicated $3 cold smoke generator that's just for cheese :-)

Picked a couple of blocks of cheese up last time at costco.
Had decent weather yesterday and I was here all day watching the last 3 matches in this years 6 nations rugby tournament. Perfect time to test the new 2/$3 dedicated smoke generator for cheese (I'll give it a short catchy nick-name at some point )

Filled it with sawdust, lit with tea candle and placed in the outlaw:

While I was waiting for it to get up to speed (about 10 minutes) I cut the cheese blocks into 8's

After an hour it was going strong. Ideal smoke volume for the outlaw and probably most smokers.

Now ordinarily you can smell the smoke in the house. Not yesterday.
You know you live in the country when at the end of your garden you've got a farmer muck spreading :-)

Now as this is well rotted muck - you can tell by the steam - it's pretty pungent. I don't find it unpleasant, but by god you know it's there !

Back to the cheese.
At the 2 hour mark.

Looking good. Nice colour on the cheese.

I figure the smoke generator ran for just over the 3 hour mark. There was still smoke coming out of the outlaw at 3 hours. But when i went to get the cheese at half time, about 15 minutes later, it had just stopped, few embers still glowing at the end of the mini-smokevark (told you I'd give it a name lol).

All done, the cheese has a great colour and even this fresh, tastes fantastic.
I clingfilmed it and it's in the fridge for a week befoe vacpacking :-)

So all in all a complete success !

Now the point of this device was 2 fold.
1) to have a smoke generator that run for exactly the right amount of time to cold smoke cheese. So that if I get detained towards the end of the smoke - the cheese will not get over smoked and ruined. Proper set & Forget.

2) To demonstrate that for about $3 and an hour of your time, anyone can make an effective, long lasting cold smoke generator.

I'd say job done

Anyone who wants to try smoking their cheese.
Go here Build you own mini-smokevark, get some sawdust and have at it !
No excuses :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2hourmark_800x600.jpg (111.7 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg 3hours&done_800x600.jpg (135.2 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg after1hour_800x600.jpg (147.2 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg clingfilmed_800x553.jpg (117.8 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg filled&lit_800x384.jpg (87.5 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg installed in the outlaw_800x600.jpg (126.2 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg inthesmoker_800x600.jpg (116.2 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg thecheese_800x459.jpg (53.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg youknowyouliveinthecountry_800x600.jpg (157.1 KB, 334 views)

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-20-2011 at 12:16 PM.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 03-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Pit Master

Whisky Fish Is  A Name Known To All
Whisky Fish Is  A Name Known To AllWhisky Fish Is  A Name Known To AllWhisky Fish Is  A Name Known To AllWhisky Fish Is  A Name Known To All

Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Pit Master

SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Fish View Post

@SmokinJim52 on Twitter
Old 03-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Lovin the Hog

T-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

great job CA I like the " sexy legs " on that thar unit

homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )
Old 03-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Sous Vide Free Zone

IrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To All
IrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To All

Looks like it worked as designed. You best get a "patent applied for" stamp on it, before somebody steals it and makes a bunch of cash off your hard work.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

lol you mean like the pro-q smoker ?
Now if that had only generated enough smoke I'd probably never have bothered making my own :-)

I guess I could sell people a 'build your own cheese smoker' kit - just add a cardboard box.

Now there's a thought.

Hmm, would need better legs.

Well maybe when i've finally got a unit and proper food business I'll think about it.

All I can envisage at the moment is the fluury of law suits from 'people' who have just stuck them selves with a bit of lethally fine steel wire.

Nope I'm happy to share this particular design with the world in general. I've got copyright simply by posting it. That'll do :-)

Old 03-20-2011, 10:05 PM
miss ya gary....

chefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To All
chefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To All

nice to see the "mini-smokevark" worked well...........

it's all good my friend..........
Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Padre

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

CA that is a great idea as a matter of fact i think i have some to use
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
Chargriller SnP well modified
one ugly ass drum smoker
New Braunfels Bandera in dry dock for a service life extension overhaul

and

saving for a trailer mounted 60" reverse flow for my christmas present
Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Will Hunt For Food

Critterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To All
Critterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To All

Glad it worked as planned CA.

Certified Sausage Head
Old 06-02-2012, 06:10 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

Just been reading through these cold smoke threads. And have just come up with a great idea for the legs.

Get some wood screws and just thread through the bottom of the mesh, so the head is on the inside of the mesh at the bottom of the 'basket'. Stick a couple either side by the wire 'ribs' so it's that bit stronger. Should only take a couple of minutes, look better, be quicker and be easier than farting around with bendy wire :-)

Old 06-02-2012, 07:07 AM

1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All
1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All1Cavman Is  A Name Known To All

First time I've seen this.
Very cool CA.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Hunt it, Fish it, EAT IT!

WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All
WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All

Very nice....especially the detain proof, timed smoke off part!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Pit Master

tadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To All
tadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To All

Nice job CA! for hand crafted cold smoker!

Humphrey's Pint
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
Anova One Sous Vide
AMPS
Purple Thermapen
Maverick ET-733
DigIQ DX2
Misfit #1674

Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Nicely Done Alex
Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

It's that time of year to bump the cold smoke generator threads :-)

Old 12-18-2012, 10:12 AM
ADK Guy

Smoke'n Dave Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSmoke'n Dave Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSmoke'n Dave Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSmoke'n Dave Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSmoke'n Dave Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSmoke'n Dave Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSmoke'n Dave Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSmoke'n Dave Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSmoke'n Dave Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

You English have such great cheese, just not fair . Nice job.

The New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker
Assorted other meat burners/smokers
Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Fire Starter

z7xshooter Knows How To Mop The Meatz7xshooter Knows How To Mop The Meat

how long do you smoke it for ? im going to try it soon but never done it before. thanks guys.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Fired up!

BBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To All
BBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To All

Nice job! Ughhh gotta get on that cheese gig!!!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by z7xshooter View Post
how long do you smoke it for ? im going to try it soon but never done it before. thanks guys.
read the thread :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Cheese