Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 02-26-2016, 01:52 PM
SMF/OTBS Refugee

TasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To All
TasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To All
Default Some ribs that I think I will try....

It's looking like a good time to take the GroundHog's advice and act like it's Spring. This weekend is expected to be in the mid-50s, and quite windy, but no worries - I've got my MES and I always barbecue on the leeward side of the house!

I found an "interesting" recipe for them on the Interwebs - I can't remember where; maybe Taste of Home, or Cook's Illustrated or something like that. I call them "interesting" because the sauce is a little different than anything I've tried; I'm not sure if it will be great, but I am quite sure that it won't be bad at all, so why not?

Anyway, here it is:

Rub:

2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Sauce:

1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce

Note that there is no mop; I'm not sure if one is necessary, but I've noticed that a lot of times simply a brushing of the rendered fat and drippings all over the ribs makes a very decent makeshift mop.

Also, the cayenne will obviously be eliminated in favour of a little extra paprika or chili powder, for the sake of The Beautiful Mrs. Tas. As for the "hot pepper sauce," Frank's Original is the way to go, in my opinion!

We'll see how they turn out, assuming that they get made - more to come....

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 02-26-2016 at 05:23 PM.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 02-26-2016, 04:13 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Hmmmm---Looks Good to me!!

And Frank's is always good---Not Bitter like Tobasco. IMO

Bear
Old 02-26-2016, 04:20 PM
Learning from the Best

DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All
DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
I'm not sure if it will be great, but I am quite sure that it won't be bad at all, so why not?
That's the spirit.

Dave
One Weber Kettle, One Knockoff Kettle
Blue Thermapen
Auber Smoker Controller
Proud Smoked -Meat Member #88

-

"All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010
Old 02-26-2016, 05:23 PM
SMF/OTBS Refugee

TasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To All
TasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To All

Thanks, guys ~ I'll report on results, of course.

I'm thinking that a little bit of Turbinado sugar in the rub might be a good idea, if no mop is being used. Do you guys have any suggestions for a MINIMUM amount to add?

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Old 02-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Pit Master

jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All
jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All

Very interesting. Kind of a rib take on buffalo wings.

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...
Old 02-26-2016, 05:41 PM
<-----BITE ME!

DanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To All
DanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To All

Sounds good, looking forward to what you think of them.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Rub Mixer

zeroghd Is  A Name Known To All
zeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Frank's Original is the way to go, in my opinion!
Heck Yeah! I put that shit on everything.

YS 640
Primo Oval XL
Lone Star Grillz 24x48
Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
Weber Copper Top
Old Smokey
Orion
Gasser
2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
24" Disco with custom burner
Red Thermapen
2-Maverick ET-733

Old 02-27-2016, 08:57 AM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
And Frank's is always good---Not Bitter like Tobasco. IMO
Bear
Louisiana Hot Sauce here, the original! Tobasco is a no go, like the Bear say bitter or burnt taste.

Quote:
Thanks, guys ~ I'll report on results, of course.

I'm thinking that a little bit of Turbinado sugar in the rub might be a good idea, if no mop is being used. Do you guys have any suggestions for a MINIMUM amount to add?
Prolly 2 Tablespoons if you wanting to make a coating out of it.

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 02-27-2016, 11:11 AM
SMF/OTBS Refugee

Sounds great, Mark - Thanks!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Old 02-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Pit Master

jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All
jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All

I like Melinda's Original Habanero hot sauce. Just enough heat and flavor without too much vinegar.

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...
Old 02-27-2016, 08:41 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbtulsa View Post
I like Melinda's Original Habanero hot sauce. Just enough heat and flavor without too much vinegar.
i'm the same with Melinda's...

Old 02-28-2016, 06:47 AM
Pit Master

zombini Is  A Name Known To All
zombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To All

I like the sounds of the recipe as is, especially since it has no sugar.

Over the years Franks has turned into our favorite, but I still like Crystal too.

z
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Silver
Smokin Tex
MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
Maverick ET 732
Brown and lime green ThermaPens
2 orange ThermoPops
A-Maze-N Tube 18"
A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
Vortex
Old 02-28-2016, 08:29 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

The recipe sounds interesting, especially the mayo/mustard combo. And my fav hot sauce is Secret Aardvark. Try it.

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 02-28-2016, 02:00 PM
SMF/OTBS Refugee

I did try these last night - they turned out very well in the flavour department, and I believe they are worth making.

The weather went bad, windy and wet, so I made them in a Dutch oven after brushing on a little liquid smoke. I applied the rub, then cooked them until the fat was rendered pretty well, then laid them on a baking sheet and brushed the sauce on, bumping the heat up enough to cook it onto the rubs - then turning and brushing more sauce on to cook and serve. I used a little over 4 pounds of CSRs, and only needed 1/2 of the rub and 1/2 of the sauce for them, so that is something to keep in mind.

The flavours really worked well together - couldn't have asked for anything better with a "brand new recipe," and I'd give these a solid 7 or 8 out of 10. The only problem was in my execution - I should have kept the led off the Dutch oven, but had it on for about half the cooking time (about 3 hours total, at 240). A drier environment would have been better, but these were otherwise very good.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Pork