Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 02-16-2016, 09:38 PM
Fire Starter

HUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke Guru
Default whole hog question

My cousins boy is getting married in september and they want me to cook a whole hog in a ground pit. I have no idea where to start other than digging a hole. Any info from experienced folks would be greatly appreciated. I know i have some time to prep and get everything ready, i want this to be done right and for it to be good. Where do i start and what do i need to do, i need help from start to finish,thanks in advance.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 02-16-2016, 09:56 PM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

Are you in a dry county?

I have no idea but a few suggestions.

1. Get beer
2. Get a few friends to dig hole
3. Invite me to sample beer and pig....
Old 02-16-2016, 10:03 PM
Wrap it in bacon

Blue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To All
Blue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To All

Skip the hole get a bunch of 8 inch blocks enough to build a 6x6x4 pit add a grate and some tin for a lid. Build a big fire and shovel coals from the fire into the pit and cook away. That's how we did it when I was a kid.

Weber 22.5 kettle
Smokin in the Smokies
Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
Jerry
Old 02-16-2016, 10:22 PM
Rub Mixer

Courser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To All
Courser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermanlawncare View Post
Skip the hole get a bunch of 8 inch blocks enough to build a 6x6x4 pit add a grate and some tin for a lid. Build a big fire and shovel coals from the fire into the pit and cook away. That's how we did it when I was a kid.
x2 on that one. Cowgirl has a great post in her blog about exactly that. http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...ck-pit_19.html
speaking of Cowgirl....I haven't seen her around lately...hmmmm

16" Original Oklahoma Joe offset
GMG Daniel Boone
Husker Red UDS V.2014
22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
Old 02-16-2016, 10:40 PM
Padre

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

Here is a couple of threads to read thru

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6087

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19209

Good Luck
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
Chargriller SnP well modified
one ugly ass drum smoker
New Braunfels Bandera in dry dock for a service life extension overhaul

and

saving for a trailer mounted 60" reverse flow for my christmas present
Old 02-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Pit Master

sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All
sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelmore View Post
Are you in a dry county?

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
Weber Smokey Joe
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
Pink Thermapen
Purple Thermapen
Old 02-19-2016, 11:19 PM
Pit Master

Cajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

I agree,,,ground one can be tricky, too much to chance. Build one out of blocks..or some places will rent you a hog roaster. I remember we had a guy from Texas do a ground pit, many people waiting and was not done when he pulled it out. At least we had beer.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:50 AM
Go Faster.... Go Faster

Crewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To AllCrewdawg52 Is  A Name Known To All

Be a lot faster and much easier to build a cement block "oven" to cook the pig in.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Padre

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewdawg52 View Post
Be a lot faster and much easier to build a cement block "oven" to cook the pig in.

Good lookin pig
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
Chargriller SnP well modified
one ugly ass drum smoker
New Braunfels Bandera in dry dock for a service life extension overhaul

and

saving for a trailer mounted 60" reverse flow for my christmas present
Old 02-22-2016, 03:03 PM
Fire Starter

HUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke GuruHUNTINGMAN Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

After looking at this we have decided to do the block style pit to cook in. We have lots of time to get things ready so maybe we can get it done right, thanks for the help and anymore recomendatjons will be appreciated.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

I Too would get after the Block Pit posting by "Cowgirl" on her Country Blog!!

See Post #4 above.

Bear
Old 02-22-2016, 05:38 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

I have done a couple... but they fit in my cooker. If ya don’t have that the cinder block pit is the way to go. Keep the heat at the front and rear. The middle will be fine.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:09 PM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

Most of the ones I have seen had a separate fire to make coals and just keep adding coals (or charcoal) stoked instead of building a fire in the pit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Pork