Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Vortex Wings
Last Post: Fishawn
Posted On: 09-23-2017
Replies: 6
Views: 52
0 When Your Vegan Son Comes Home From College.... Vortex!
Last Post: Kicken Asphalt
Replies: 13
Views: 154
0 Another Photobucket Workaround
Last Post: DDave
Replies: 28
Views: 271
0 No Meat Calls For Sweet Heat
Last Post: Richtee
Replies: 7
Views: 83
0 Yet Another Pulled Pork Thread...
Last Post: HawgHeaven
Replies: 43
Views: 725
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,344 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,590 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 638,556 Polls 36
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 09-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Shoot it, Cook it, Eat it

RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All
RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All
Default Mad Hunky Steak Sauce

A short while ago, I posted the Ramen burger. Topped it with an onion sauce. Commented it might make a good steak sauce. Well.....I had to find out. It's a work in progress.

Started out with the intent to make a version of A1. That's where the raisins come in. You could skip those, but I think it adds to the sauce. Then I did a complete 360 and decided to make something different. Also didn't want it to turn out like bbq sauce. It didn't. It's really good as it is.

But it's still missing something. There's plenty of spice from the rub, but missing a zing that maybe only I am looking for. After scouring many recipes on the internet, some call for apple cider or white vinegar. There's some in the ketchup and vinegary is not what I'm looking for. Some call for orange or lemon juice. Not sure if that would be right or which one. Some call for prepared or ground mustard. My brain is saying this is it, but which one?

Rather than ruin it, I left it as it is. For now. Each time I use it, I'll add a little something to it, until I figure it out. Throwing it out there for you to mess with.

2 large Vadalia Onions
1/2 Stick Butter
1 heaping Tblsp. Raisins
3 cups Water
1 Tblsp. Worcestershire
4 Tblsp. Ketchup
1 1/2 Tblsp. Mad Hunky GP

Thinly slice the onions. Saute them in the butter. Good and caramelized. Put the raisins, onions and as much of the butter as you can get into a small sauce pan. Add the water and bring to a boil. When the raisins are plump and about 1/3 of the water is gone, blend it with a stick blender. Food processor or blender works too. Bring it back to a simmer. Add the worcestershire, ketchup and Mad Hunky GP. Cook to desired consistency.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1934.jpg (25.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1935.jpg (90.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1936.jpg (34.5 KB, 43 views)
S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
New Braunfels Bandera
UniFlame Gas Grill
Lil Chief

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 09-09-2013, 10:18 PM
<----Culinary Genius

gmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To All
gmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To All

Looks good. Send me one of those jars and I'll help you taste test it.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Nice work RR!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Fired up!

BBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To All
BBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To All

My son would love that Ramen burger his 2 favorite things LOL
Old 09-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Lake & BBQ Baby!!

barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All
barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All

Sounds good. Keep us up to date on your experiments with it!!

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
Yoder YS640
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber Performer
Misfit # 1899

Old 09-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Wursthersteller

Snarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To All
Snarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To All

I'm thinking vinegar is exactly what you need. That acid bite is what I enjoy about A1. Possibly lemon juice, but then you bring in the lemon flavor, so I'm thinking white vinegar. Try a small amount in one jar.
Bad Girls

If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' 'til you do suck seed. -- Curly Howard

Do not cry havoc when you should but hunt with modest warrant. -- William Shakespear

NRA Endowment Member
Certified Glock Armorer
Old 09-10-2013, 10:24 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarlingiron View Post
I'm thinking vinegar is exactly what you need. That acid bite is what I enjoy about A1. Possibly lemon juice, but then you bring in the lemon flavor, so I'm thinking white vinegar. Try a small amount in one jar.
Mmm nice sauce... and yes...vinegar. Altho the Worshy, and yes..even the K..bring some. Try a cider..and maybe a rice...Heck..for beef...maybe even a red wine vinegar?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 AM
I like meat

Squirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To All
Squirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To All

Awesome Ray! Tamarind may be what you are missing. I would also go with orange instead of lemon. Preserved orange would even be better. You can preserve your own as it is very simple to do. You would have to adjust your salt in the overall recipe if you did this. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

Nice doins Ray! I think Cheryl is on to something with the tamarind, I think a spot if lime juice too.

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Looks Great, Ray!!!

Worcestershire is a must for Beef, as Vinegar is a must for Pork.

I'm wondering if adding some sauteed Mushrooms in the blender late in the game???

I never blended mushrooms, but now I'm thinking about it, just for the added flavor.

Bear
Old 09-10-2013, 08:17 PM

RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All
RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All

Thanks everyone for the comments. Knew you folks would give me some good ideas. I was kind of driving myself crazy with it. Had so many different ingredients on the table. Had to take a step back, walk away from it, before I ruined the whole thing.

Snarlingiron and Rich: I had the red wine vinegar in my hand, ready to pour. Vinegar is still an option. I shied away from the ACV for fear of tasting like a bbq sauce. In the future, I could cut back or even eliminate the ketchup and use a tomato paste, maybe. That would give me a tomato flavor and allow me to play with vinegars.

Squirrel: Interesting suggestions. Will look into the Tamarind. Have some frozen orange juice concentrate in the freezer. That was my first choice for a citrus component. Never heard of preserved oranges. I need to watch my salt, and was hoping to use items that most people would have on hand, or could get easily. Not ruling it out, though.

Mark: Lime juice was on the table, as well as lemon. It would certainly give it a zing, but wasn't sure how those flavors would work with the others. Plus, I don't want to overpower the great taste of those sautéed onions. As it is now, you can still taste them.

Bear: You must read minds. Who doesn't like sautéed mushrooms and onions on a steak, right? Mushrooms were a serious consideration. Didn't have any fresh ones, only a canned. Wouldn't taste the same. Had a couple beers in me, so going to the store was not an option. They might wind up in the sauce yet.

Interesting no one even mentioned any type of mustard. That's ok. I don't want it to be another knockoff of A1. Was looking for something new and based around the sautéed onions. And MHGP.

Any and all suggestions welcome. (Criticism too)
S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
New Braunfels Bandera
UniFlame Gas Grill
Lil Chief
Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Hmmm... Ray..I have some powdered Porcini mushrooms in my possession... wanna play?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Hmmm... Ray..I have some powdered Porcini mushrooms in my possession... wanna play?
Hehe, tempting. Fresh would still be best to keep it easy for others to make. Could dehydrate some too. Tone's sells dried mushrooms. Bought some from Sam's a couple years ago. Used them all. The last time I was there, they didn't carry it any more. They would be easy to powder. Let me see if I can find someone carrying them first.

http://www.tones.com/product?id=54
S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
New Braunfels Bandera
UniFlame Gas Grill
Lil Chief
Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 PM

Well, I got to try out some variations on the sauce. Grilled up a nice Ribeye. Opened one of the jars and added a few things. Here's my take on it.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...threadid=30426

Orange juice concentrate: It wasn't bad by itself. Not my favorite on the steak.

Lemon juice: Really good, by itself. Wasn't sure on the steak.

Balsamic vinegar: This was my favorite by itself. Thought for sure this was THE missing ingredient.

Nope. Kept going back to the lemon juice. Still think vinegar is what's missing. Just not sure which one.

Thought I had some red wine vinegar. Guess not. Have white wine vinegar and red cooking wine. May try those and maybe some lime juice with the leftovers tonight.
S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
New Braunfels Bandera
UniFlame Gas Grill
Lil Chief
Old 09-30-2013, 10:26 PM

Tried the white wine vinegar and the red cooking wine tonight. Meh. Really want to try the red wine vinegar. Haven't even tried any mustards. This might take a while. Definitely a work in progress.

Oh, darn. I have to cook another steak? Willing to make the sacrifice.
S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
New Braunfels Bandera
UniFlame Gas Grill
Lil Chief
Old 09-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Sous Vide Free Zone

IrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To All
IrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To All

Try malt vinegar. Got some tang, and some beefyness to it as well. Also agree with the tamarind. Horseradish? Might think aboot some dry mustard powder or mustard oil....
Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Pit Master

erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All
erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRay View Post
Tried the white wine vinegar and the red cooking wine tonight. Meh. Really want to try the red wine vinegar. Haven't even tried any mustards. This might take a while. Definitely a work in progress.

Oh, darn. I have to cook another steak? Willing to make the sacrifice.

If you got any maters, go back and see if you can find Alx's post on his home made ketchup. Have been making it since he posted it. Been using it as a base for sauces for all kinds of stuff from BBQ to sloppie joes. I betcha it take care of your missing ling with its added zing from vinegar and add a little more to the flavor body just because it has so much going for itself than store bought ketchup. And it is especially better if you age it for about 6 months...
Dutch Ovens and other CI
Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Sauces & Rubs