Smoking a Brisket on the Pellet Smoker 9/23 to 9/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking a Brisket on the Pellet Smoker 9/23 to 9/24

Got the brisket into the pellet grill this morning at about 10:00 AM Central Time. I opted out of cooking this on the Wood Smoker because I could do a lot more sitting than walking back and forth tending to the smoker every 45 minutes to an hour. For me the wood smoker is more fun, but right now sitting and resting my leg is the better part of valor. This is another dish that is going to be sliced and vacuum sealed into small serving sizes so that there will be food available at my wife's discretion to easily warm up and serve.

This is an 11 lb. full packer. I marinaded this for 3 days and then just put it into the smoker. I used an aluminum foil drip pan and placed a water pan in there as well. I was going to use the A-MAZN Smoker but I did not have enough room to place it into the unit. However, all is well.

Right now the internal temperature of the meat is 82 degrees and the Yoder is set at 225. Foiling will occur at 150 degrees.

I have a made a video of the process which will be provided when all is completed.

Until then, we will just relax and take it easy. 8)

Well, I did not get much sleep last night, as this brisket hovered between 180 and 192 for a long time. I kept thinking that it would just get there and I would be asleep. I did doze off now and then and wake up in a start to look at the Maverick to see what happened. My wife gets up at 5:00 AM every morning to make coffee and then go to Planet Fitness for her exercise program. When I heard her, I woke up and saw that the temperature was 199. I went outside and pulled the brisket out of the Pellet Smoker and placed it on the counter still wrapped in tin foil and then covered it in towels. I am going to wait a couple of hours, nap, and then cut it up to place it in vacuum sealed bags.

This brisket was in the smoker for 19 hours. Wow! I am glad that I used the pellet smoker as the wood smoker would have totally worn me out not that I am real lively right now.

Hello folks,

This took me longer than I thought. I started this brisket at 10:00 AM in the morning on Monday 9/23/13 and it finished 19 hours later on Tuesday, 9/24/13. I thought that it may be completed earlier like 10:00 PM last night, but it just went slow.

I have made my own brisket before, and I have tasted brisket in Lockhart, Texas, and for my taste buds, this was the best brisket that I have ever had. It was so moist and juicy, unbelievable. My wife was up at 5:00 AM to get ready to go her fitness center and when I started slicing, she started tasting. She knocked off a nice tasty slice before she left the house and she does not eat anything in the morning especially that earlier. When she keeps nibbling, then you know that it is good.

So, I made a little video here for your viewing pleasure. I hope that you enjoy this video and thanks for watching.

Ed

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TMd7GcWLGqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Yoder YS480
    Yoder Cheyenne
    Weber Kettle w/ Rotissieri
    Kettlepizza

Ohh soo wonderfully yummy. Looks great!

What was the cut? Curious. Choice+? Looks sooo juicy.

Ever hear of a left handed brisket? Folks look at you odd when you ask for one for sure. Dunno if it makes any diff.

"Tom Hoefer from Allen, Texas, posted this tall tale about a barbecue contest on the net in 2001. It is reprinted here, slightly edited, with his permission. Fact or fiction? Serious or joke? You decide...

A few year back at the Texas State Finals, several of us arrived on Thursday to get in line for the best sites. Thursday night was devoted to serious drinking.

One of the better cooks, Ole Connie Baker of the team "Li'l Pit Of Heaven", was throwing back quite a few of those Mexican beers with a chunk of lime stuck in the neck. Connie had so many of them limeade beers that he was starting to smile with a pucker.

One of us asked him how come his brisket was so tender and always placed in the top three. I thought to myself, boy oh boy, if loose lips sink ships then Ole Connie is going down tonight. All got quiet as he stuffed another lime in a longneck and he said that he "only cooks left-handed briskets".

He explained that most, but not all, steers rest on their left side, which means when they get up they have to push harder with their right legs. At this point about half the bunch mumbled something to the effect of "bull hockey" and went back to different conversations.

A few of us noticed that Ole Connie wasn't smirking. Two or three of us moved closer and I told him "You can't stop there. What does pushing up with their right legs have to do with the left brisket?"

Ole Connie stuffed another lime and told us that when they push up with the right legs it flexes the right brisket muscle more than the left. Therefore the right-handed brisket will be tougher and less marbled than the left. Not always but usually. I asked him "how the heck do you tell a left-handed brisket from the right?"

He stuffed another lime and told me that, with the fat side down, on a left-handed brisket, with the narrow part closest to you, the point will curve to the right.

Saturday awards time rolled around and Connie took First Brisket and Grand Champion over 180 of the best cooks in Texas. I think that I came in 19th with my right-handed brisket.

I just could not get this off my mind. I phoned the kin folk in LaGrange, Texas, and asked if they would check out their herd. Yep, you guessed it. Only three out of 37 consistently rested on their right side. Dangnation, Ole Connie has got it going big time!

I went to five different grocery stores and flexed briskets to see which sides were more limber and more marbled. There are some right-handed briskets that are more limber and marbled than the lefties, but for the most part, the majority of the best are left handed!

Welp, there it is folks. Take it or leave it. As Joe Friday on the 1950s TV show, Dragnet, used to say, "Only the facts ma'am.""

From http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

Comment

Nicely done Ed! I'll bet you are glad that you did that on the pellet smoker... 19 hours of managing a stick burner would have killed me! Sure looks like it turned out nice and juicy and a nice smoke ring to boot! An 11 pound packer is quite large... it made that YS480 look small. Did you make any burnt ends with the point?
      Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
      Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
      A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
      A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
      Frogmats
      Maverick ET 732
      Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Actually, this was a "select" brisket purchased from H E B supermarkets in New Braunfels, Texas where I live for $1.77 per lb. My method of selecting brisket is very simple: I pick up the packer and I try to bend the packer until both ends touch each other. If they do, then that is the packer that I purchase. And, I won't purchase any until, I can find one that will do this.

I guess these must be the left hand side packers because they have been the most tender for me.

Ed
        Yoder YS480
        Yoder Cheyenne
        Kettlepizza

Comment

Originally posted by veryolddog View Post
          My method of selecting brisket is very simple: I pick up the packer and I try to bend the packer until both ends touch each other. If they do, then that is the packer that I purchase. And, I won't purchase any until, I can find one that will do this.

I guess these must be the left hand side packers because they have been the most tender for me.

Ed
          Nice method Ed! A method I have used in the past
          Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
          Frogmats
          Maverick ET 732

Deano

sigpic

Comment

This is probably going to be my last cook for a long time. I am going into the hospital on Thursday morning and I am having a total hip replacement to my left hip.

So, I will read a lot, and try to walk a lot which I have not been able to for a while.

Ed
            Yoder YS480
            Yoder Cheyenne
            Kettlepizza

Comment

This is probably going to be my last cook for a long time. I am going into the hospital on Thursday morning and I am having a total hip replacement to my left hip.

So, I will read a lot, and try to walk a lot which I have not been able to for a while.

Ed
              Good luck and let us know how it goes
              Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
              Weber 22.5" WSM
              Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
              Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
              Weber Smokey Joe
              GMG Daniel Boone
              Pit Barrel Cooker
              Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
              6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
              Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
              The Vortex

Comment

Ed
                Glad to hear that you are getting that hip fixed. Let us know how it goes. Positive vibe sent your way!
                Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                Frogmats
                Maverick ET 732

Deano

sigpic

Comment

great cook there VOD! hope all goes well with the hip! you know your fellow smokers will be cheering for ya!
                  Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                  Yoder YS640
                  Weber Genesis
                  Weber 18.5" Kettle
                  Weber Performer
                  Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Smoked flowers with a dust of Mad Hunky will be delivered to your recovery room.

Best of luck, always ask everyone who touches you and your stuff if their hands are properly washed. Every time.

Comment

Great looking Briskit and nice video. I'll remember your briskit selection method, sure looks like it works great!
                      Best of luck with the hip replacement.
                      Mike
                      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                      POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                      Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Good luck with the surgery!
                        Good One Heritage Oven
                        Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

Nice looking brisket and great video, Ed! Good luck with your surgery! Hoping for a quick recovery for you!
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Sir, that is one fine looking brisket.. I wish you only the best in your hip replacement. I will keep you in my prayers.

Comment

Nice Ed!!!! Speedy recovery!!
                              Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you only have today!

Comment

Working...
                              X