Chuck "Roll"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck "Roll"?

The local market has advertised "Whole Beef Chuck Roll" For $1.99 lb. Is this the same as a "Clod" or what is it? Is this what a Chuck Roast comes off of? They've also got whole Ribeye for $4.99 lb and Pork loin for $1.69 right now. I know for sure I am getting a whole Ribeye and probably another Loin since I just made my last one into CB.

Let me know what you all think about the Chuck Roll. the sale starts tomorrow and I am planning on gettin all up on it.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

My intention

To be clear. What I would like to do with a mess of fatty beef would be to make up a batch of hot Texas style sausage links or something of the like. I'm thinking there are some good folks here who can tell me what is up. I also have a almost huge quantity of pork trim that I can use if it is necessary to add but want to focus on a beef sausage this time.

Thanks again.

Dave

Comment

I dont know what a chuck roll is really but when I saw the pic...I said that aint chuck...That looks like pork...
      Oh...I get it...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Hey Dave , the chuck roll is the larger 1/2 of the shoulder ( top 1/2 ) before it is boned out would be known as shoulder blade ... together with the clod ( lower 1/2 ) of the shoulder before boning make up most of the shoulder on the animal ... the chuck roll is very well marbled and does really well in the smoker for making shredded beef ... it will also be excellent for making beef sausages as you intend on doing ... and at $ 1.99/lb it's a decent price too .

here's a cool link

http://vodpod.com/watch/3214535-chuck-roll
        Last edited by T-bone Tim; 08-17-2010, 08:04 PM.
        sigpic
        homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Who cares what part of the cow it is. At that price, buy it and smoke it! I envy some of you folks. I'd swear that cow is made of part gold.

Went to the store yesterday for a few things. Thought I'd wander through the meat dept. Top sirloin tip roasts......on sale........3.99/Lbs. That's a sale?
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Who has them on sale?? Super Saver had them cheap a couple weeks ago... I still have some pulled beef in the freezer from one. But I didn't even think of beef sausage! I might have to grab another.
            KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
              Who has them on sale?? Super Saver had them cheap a couple weeks ago... I still have some pulled beef in the freezer from one. But I didn't even think of beef sausage! I might have to grab another.
              The sale is at Stubie's Thriftway in Plattsmouth. Starts today. They regularly have great meat sales. This week: Chuck Roll $1.99, Whole Ribeye $4.99, Pork Loin $1.69, Boston Butt $1.39, 80% ground beef $1.79, Boneless skinless Chicken Breast $1.97.

I'm going this a.m. after I finish my coffee.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by T-bone Tim View Post
                Hey Dave , the chuck roll is the larger 1/2 of the shoulder ( top 1/2 ) before it is boned out would be known as shoulder blade ... together with the clod ( lower 1/2 ) of the shoulder before boning make up most of the shoulder on the animal ... the chuck roll is very well marbled and does really well in the smoker for making shredded beef ... it will also be excellent for making beef sausages as you intend on doing ... and at $ 1.99/lb it's a decent price too .

here's a cool link

http://vodpod.com/watch/3214535-chuck-roll
                Whoa. Digital Beef! Cool link though.
                Thanks!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X