Popeye’s Cajun Sparkle Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popeye’s Cajun Sparkle Recipe

While looking for Popeye’s mashed potato and gravy recipes, I stumbled upon this one and tried it. This stuff is GOOD!! The only thing I've tried it on is fried chicken and sprinkled some on mashed potatoes to see what it would do but this is some tasty stuff and could be used for lots of things.

Popeye’s Cajun Sparkle Recipe

• 1 tablespoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
    • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
    • 1/4 teaspoon msg
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
    2. Makes 2 tablespoons.

May try it! Al Copeland is rollin over in his grave if this get's out! Dude alway's came to Destin stylin & profilin. RIP Al!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Sounds like a nice mix.

Never eaten at Popeye's.

There's only one in Mpls and let's just say that a person of my physical description should never be in that neighborhood at night.

I'll try it.
      Thanks
      Vman

Comment

Yeah Man.....I understand.
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Eating Popeye's right now. Red Beans and Rice, Dirty Rice, man good stuff. They are everywhere down here....Think they outnumber McDonald's
          Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Originally posted by supervman View Post
            Sounds like a nice mix.

Never eaten at Popeye's.

There's only one in Mpls and let's just say that a person of my physical description should never be in that neighborhood at night.

I'll try it.
            Thanks
            Vman
            In an effort to remain politically correct, I wont say there's probably lots of them in neighborhoods you wouldn't want to go to at night. I go about dinner time so there's still lots of light.

They have pretty good chicken and offer a hot (so they call it) batter which has a bit of a bite but I wouldn't call hot. I don't think they beat KFC's extra crispy but their mashed potatoes and gravy are kick butt; I would cut my left arm off for the recipe.

Comment

Best service around also...Wait all day at KFC here, Popeye's is fast, in every neighborhood around here. Would love the recipe too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajunsmoke13 View Post
                Best service around also...Wait all day at KFC here, Popeye's is fast, in every neighborhood around here. Would love the recipe too.
                At my local KFC if you want a bucket of extra crispy you have to go inside for it so you can watch and make sure they put all extra crispy in the bucket. I swear they even out their inventory with drive thorough orders and if they're a little light on EC (which they usually are) they throw some regular in and you wont know till you get home. Pisses me off.

Comment

Right there with you. Thanks for that recipe. Going to give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin Bill View Post
                    In an effort to remain politically correct, I wont say there's probably lots of them in neighborhoods you wouldn't want to go to at night. I go about dinner time so there's still lots of light.

They have pretty good chicken and offer a hot (so they call it) batter which has a bit of a bite but I wouldn't call hot. I don't think they beat KFC's extra crispy but their mashed potatoes and gravy are kick butt; I would cut my left arm off for the recipe.
                    Bill, would you be sending your arm to me, or are you going to cut it off and keep it?

Popeye's Cajun Gravy

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
                    1 chicken gizzard
                    2 tablespoons minced green bell pepper
                    1/4 cup ground beef
                    1/4 cup ground pork
                    2 cups water
                    1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
                    2 tablespoons cornstarch
                    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
                    2 teaspoons milk
                    2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
                    1 teaspoon granulated sugar
                    1 teaspoon salt
                    1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
                    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
                    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
                    1/8 teaspoon onion powder
                    Dash dried parsley flakes
                    Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté chicken
                    gizzard in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes until cooked. Remove gizzard
                    from the pan and let cool. Finely mince the gizzard after it has cooled.

Combine ground beef and ground pork. Mix with your hands until well mixed.

Add bell pepper to the saucepan and sauté it for 1 minute. Add ground
                    beef and pork to the pan and cook brown. Mash meat into tiny pieces as
                    it browns.

Add water and beef broth to the saucepan, then immediately whisk in
                    cornstarch and flour.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer
                    gravy until thick - about 30 to 35 minutes.

Tom

Comment

Sounds like a nice mix.

Never eaten at Popeye's.

I'll try it.
                      Thanks
                      Vman
                      It does sound great, and with the gravey too... I am gonna try it too!
                      I am going with Vman here, there is one part of L.A., this would be where Reginold Denny was pulled out of his truck and beaten within an inch of his life for being the wrong color during the Rodney King fiasco, this used to be the only route to the Great Western Forum, where The G man played with the Kings, drove that route hundreds of times to and from hockey games back in the day and you could find a popeyes on every corner... never brave enough to stop and try it though.. Stopping at a red light was scary enough...

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        Bill, would you be sending your arm to me, or are you going to cut it off and keep it?

Popeye's Cajun Gravy

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
                        1 chicken gizzard
                        2 tablespoons minced green bell pepper
                        1/4 cup ground beef
                        1/4 cup ground pork
                        2 cups water
                        1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
                        2 tablespoons cornstarch
                        1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
                        2 teaspoons milk
                        2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
                        1 teaspoon granulated sugar
                        1 teaspoon salt
                        1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
                        1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
                        1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
                        1/8 teaspoon onion powder
                        Dash dried parsley flakes
                        Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté chicken
                        gizzard in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes until cooked. Remove gizzard
                        from the pan and let cool. Finely mince the gizzard after it has cooled.

Combine ground beef and ground pork. Mix with your hands until well mixed.

Add bell pepper to the saucepan and sauté it for 1 minute. Add ground
                        beef and pork to the pan and cook brown. Mash meat into tiny pieces as
                        it browns.

Add water and beef broth to the saucepan, then immediately whisk in
                        cornstarch and flour.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer
                        gravy until thick - about 30 to 35 minutes.
                        Geezzzzz all that for gravy? It better be a good match.

I'll probably keep it, the arm that is.

Comment

Sounds like a nice mix.

Never eaten at Popeye's.

I'll try it.
                          Thanks
                          Vman
                          lol. try rollin' up to the mpls greydog station in a dodge stealth around 9pm-
                          i made sure i was locked & loaded.

right now i'd kill for some popeyes red beans & rice. the copycat recipe just didn't get it.
                          brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                          18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                          cast iron Hibachi
                          22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                          & rotisserator
                          12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                          stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                          Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                          http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                          my music recordings-
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                            It does sound great, and with the gravey too... I am gonna try it too!
                            I am going with Vman here, there is one part of L.A., this would be where Reginold Denny was pulled out of his truck and beaten within an inch of his life for being the wrong color during the Rodney King fiasco, this used to be the only route to the Great Western Forum, where The G man played with the Kings, drove that route hundreds of times to and from hockey games back in the day and you could find a popeyes on every corner... never brave enough to stop and try it though.. Stopping at a red light was scary enough...
                            Hehehe ... Remember those days ... lived about a mile from where "ol Rodney" took his lickin' ... now I live where the keys stay in the ignition & the truck stays where I park it for days on end ... What a life ...

The gravy sounds great also ... gonna give it a try ...
                            Last edited by cajun_1; 08-01-2009, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin Bill View Post
                              Geezzzzz all that for gravy? It better be a good match.

I'll probably keep it, the arm that is.
                              It's not a copy, it's the real McCoy. And you're welcome.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X