Kippered Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kippered Beef

does anybody know is this consider jerky or is it considered a beef stick...and does anyone have a reciepe or a know how to make....i know its thick and not real hard to chew like jerky ....kinda of soft.....i would like to make some....any ideas...thanks
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

I do remember eating this in the states and I think (prepared to be corrected lol) that it's simply a ground jerky.

I make my ground jerky in the dehydrator and yeah - it's a lot softer and moister than solid meat jerky.

The only ground beef jerky I've made was with chocolate and that's a secret recipe (really it is lol)
    But I've made a few with ground pork that are excellent.

the oracle of all things - wkipedia says:
    As a verb, "to kipper" means to preserve by rubbing with salt or other spices before drying in the open air or in smoke. So beef or other meat preserved in the same fashion can reasonably be called "kippered."
    But that's just normal jerky, so who knows what they mean by 'kippered' over there. You have such odd names for cuts of meat that I see no reason why the tradition shouldn't extend to the processed side of things as well :-)
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
      does anybody know is this consider jerky or is it considered a beef stick...and does anyone have a reciepe or a know how to make....i know its thick and not real hard to chew like jerky ....kinda of soft.....i would like to make some....any ideas...thanks

sorry Doc no clue...just did not want to ignore the post..
      sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
      nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
        I do remember eating this in the states and I think (prepared to be corrected lol) that it's simply a ground jerky.

I make my ground jerky in the dehydrator and yeah - it's a lot softer and moister than solid meat jerky.

The only ground beef jerky I've made was with chocolate and that's a secret recipe (really it is lol)
        But I've made a few with ground pork that are excellent.

the oracle of all things - wkipedia says:
        But that's just normal jerky, so who knows what they mean by 'kippered' over there. You have such odd names for cuts of meat that I see no reason why the tradition shouldn't extend to the processed side of things as well :-)
        I have wondered about this myself many times. And the only conclusion I have come to is this, and I'm sure I'm probably wrong but here goes;
        American jerky as CA has said many times is cooked. And for the most part, as evidenced by most all the jerky posts in forums, is true.
        Kippered seems to be anything salt cured and dried. Preserved, but not cooked.

Tom

Comment

yeah but the kippered jerky I remember was pretty soft and chewy. if it had just been salted/cured and dried a bit it would have been similiar to biltong - which it wasn't.
          It was definitely a ground processed jerky of some kind.
          I'll go have another look online ;-)
          Kippered beef jerky means moisturized beef jerky. More moisture results in a more tender beef jerky and more taste!
          Hmm could be using a chemical additive that helps water retention and an enzyme that softens the meat.
          Given the incredible lack of information on this process I'm going with: chemically modified protein structures and chemically added moisture retention.
          But you can definitely get a similiar and more natural product at home with ground jerky.
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

You do have a point, Anteater dude.
            I'm going with this as a definition.
            Kippered, kipper, or kippering-A mythical process known only to Greek gods.

Tom

Comment

I've eaten kippered beef sticks and have to agree with doc, they are softer and similar to jerky, the not-ground type, but seemed to be a little more salty and had an almost sour taste to it......much like a snack stick with citric in it. Would a brine with citric acid in it be used then semi-dried be the process??

Comment

Originally posted by Jimr View Post
                Would a brine with citric acid in it be used then semi-dried be the process??
                Nope.

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                Kippered, kipper, or kippering-A mythical process known only to Greek gods.
                This is the only explanation.
                Actually, maybe you're on to something. Never considered brine.

Tom

Comment

hmm citric acid is a preservative - but would also break down muscle fibres.
                  The brine would add the moisture - particularly if it was injected (which, this being a commercial process it definitely would be).

Could be you're onto something there :-)
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

this was a very interesting article on the subject, i think i needed a couple additional science classes to get it all

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_55412222/

This site talks about cold smoking the beef as part of the process

http://www.texascooking.com/Askdocjohn062006.htm

did some more research looking at this from a different view, kinda reverse engineered it. if kippered herring is herring that is split, brined and cold smoked, would not the same be true of kippered beef?

would that allow you a higher moisture content?

just brainstorming

good luck
                    Last edited by crusty ol salt; 06-11-2009, 10:05 PM. Reason: additional thoughts from a burnt brain
                    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Well, I SURE like my kipper snacks but those fishies ain't beef! :)

Comment

not trying to steal this thread here is a thread i started on kippers

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...5362#post35362
                        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

After reading ol salt's link on beef snacks I noticed there was encapsulated citric in some of the products made. There would be a start to "conjuring" up a recipe......

Comment

cool very interesting article crusty - cheers for link :-)

So the best way to try and make ypur own kippered beef would be with an injected flavoured cure and a very slow drying process - probably in the fridge or a salami drying cabinet (if ya got one lol). And finish off with a few hours of cold smoke

You could probably do something similiar with a modified biltong process as well.
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I was brainstormin to, then all a sudden this great white flash an it was all over with!

The plant I toured made some kippered stuff, was injected with I beleive the citric acid an some spices heavy on salt cause ya could smell an taste the salt in the air, oh an the dreaded liquid smoke! Stuff was cold smoked, read that as stored in a cooler, then processed. Don't know ifin that how everbody does it, but theres wasn't bad, wasn't great, but wasn't bad. Sure somebody round here can make us some far better!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X