Celery Juice for a cure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celery Juice for a cure?

I just finished watching an Alton Brown episode, which was on breakfast.. Now I have used cures many many times, mostly Morton Tender Quick. But there was a time, and a long time ago some of my first jerky attempts were made using saltpeter, the recipe from a book that belonged to my grandfather. I remember being embarrassed buying the saltpeter from the drug store. I use cures, I believe in the importance of cures, but I also understand the health risks involved ingesting cures, especially when it comes to my little grand kids who really love jerky. I don't have a problem with eating these products myself but do feel guilty about letting the kids eating it. Now back to the show............... There was just salted/smoked bacon and then a magnified look at chemically cured bacon plus one using all natural celery juice cured bacon (they looked the same to me). I also know there are nitrates in alot of food we consume, "BUT" is a natural form of nitrates much more safer to ingest than say Morton tender quick? I really hope bbally can elaborate on this along with his uses of papain.

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
    I also know there are nitrates in alot of food we consume, "BUT" is a natural form of nitrates much more safer to ingest than say Morton tender quick? I really hope bbally can elaborate on this along with his uses of papain.
    Well... I'm pretty sure Bob would say a nitrate molecule is a nitrate molecule, and they cure the same. And depending on the temp your jerkey is brought to, there in fact is probably very little left in it.

I'll wait for him to explain the papain. I DO know it's an enzyme that facilitates flavors and such to penetrate into the meat. Can also give you a pile of mush if you don't use it right.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Can also give you a pile of mush if you don't use it right.
      Yeah been there done that.
      I also used it on a tri tip once, in an injection, with great results. Couldn't believe what it did to that hunk of meat.
      I'd also be curious to hear what others know and have done with it.

JT
      JT

Comment

yep celery does contain a bunch of nitrates.
        One of my febuary projects will be using low temp dried and powdered celery to see if it will cure.
        It all works the same way, but if you can work out nitrate concentrations fairly accurately then you can claim 'organic' curing.
        It's not, there really is bugger all difference - but you can claim it is.

However - working out concentrations is a bit problematic. I'd say stick with a prague 1 equivalent cure salt and be sure of what you're using.
        Me I just like experimenting :-)

Most seasalt also contains sufficient nitrate to cure if left long enough (tried it, it worked). But we're talking months instead of weeks. Again nice to know but not worth using practically.
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I just use a cure....there are many cures out there.....Insta cure 1 and
          buck board bacon cure...
          Morton Tender quick cure....
          Know what is in your cure....they are not interchangeable.
          Why try to invent a new cure...
          Organic? nitrates are nitrates right? know the amount in your cures and please be careful. my two cents..I make organic bacon
          sigpic

Comment

Several all natural cured bacons sold in the grocery store are cured using Celery juice. Big thing in FSIS right now as they were advertising nitrite free, but it was not since the celery juice is loaded with nitrites.

It will work, but as many have already mentioned, you need to know what is in your cure. With Celery you don't.

Remember if Alton Brown did it while pooping on other methods, the other methods is probably correct and Alton's method will probably kill someone at some point. This is a guy who still has salt peter on his ingredients list.

Good TV, maybe, good curing practice, not a chance.
            Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

[QUOTE=Okie joe;88878]IjustuseacuretherearemanycuresoutthereInstacure1
              buckboardbaconcure...
              MortonTenderquickcure....
              Knowwhatisinyourcure....theyarenotinterchangeable.
              Whytrytoinventanewcure...
              Organic?nitratesarenitratesright?knowtheamountinyo urcuresandpleasebe careful.mytwocents..Imakeorganicbacon
              QUOTE]

Like I said, I have used cures many times. Here I go reapeating myself again. I am not trying to change any of the cures I have used, I am just looking for a safer alternative ya dig.
              Last edited by SmokinLee; 01-25-2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bob, I was hoping you would chime in> I know your feelings on Alton and understand. He did not cure this bacon it was a magnified view of some store bought cured bacons showing texture and such. I just enjoy his humer and entertainmet plus find intrest in the shows. Thanks for setting us straight.

Originally posted by bbally View Post
                Several all natural cured bacons sold in the grocery store are cured using Celery juice. Big thing in FSIS right now as they were advertising nitrite free, but it was not since the celery juice is loaded with nitrites.

It will work, but as many have already mentioned, you need to know what is in your cure. With Celery you don't.

Remember if Alton Brown did it while pooping on other methods, the other methods is probably correct and Alton's method will probably kill someone at some point. This is a guy who still has salt peter on his ingredients list.

Good TV, maybe, good curing practice, not a chance.

Comment

Did not mean that you don't know cures Lee.
                  Have read many posts of yours.
                  If you cure the right amount the cure will be safe....I was trying to make a point of that all cures are not the same...
                  I can't measure how much nitrates are in celery juice...
                  as you know the nitrate breaks down and disipates...We are on the same page I want all to be safe in what I feed my Grand Kid...and what we eat also....If you know of a safer cure let me know.

I still stand by Know what Cure you are using and the amount.
                  Sorry If I wasn't clear. Wasnt lookin for a hissing contest.
                  sigpic

Comment

Sorry for hisssin Joe, I guess I was just in a hissy mood yesterday. It's all good. Take care and thanks.

Comment

I have seen this question brought up several times and in several places but for me especially since I am not a expert by any means i stay with known cures. I would imagine not all celery is created equal and as you said knowing the chemistry is problematic.
                      sigpic

My Facebook page
                      http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Comment

Working...
                      X