Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunky Taters

Morn'en!

Every year I smoke up a pile'o pork and taters for camping stockage. Last couple of years I have wrapped the spuds individually, baked, then ran through the shredder to have hash browns. Way too much work!!!

This year I tried something different, and good enought that I'm passing forward.

In a large foil pan, I added 10#'s of washed potatoes. Drizzled with EVO, then gave them a good shake of MH and garlic salt. Tossed them on the top shelf of the smoker, covered with foil, for about 4 hours. When they had cooled, I rolled them all around the bottom of the pan to coat them with the EVO and seasonings, then simply hand sliced them by cutting them first length ways, then in 1/4 to 1/2" slices. The coating of oil, MH, and garlic was AWESOME!!! Ended up with 7 packages of 3 taters each..

Out of the smoker

give this one a whirl - it's speedy quick when you're on the road or in the woods.

Some shoulders and onion sourdough buns to go with.

Injected the shoulders with OJ and MH, rubbed with MH, and spritzed the shoulders and the chef with a mixture of OJ and Buttershots -

Buns are straight up BM#1, then dropped down onto a plate of diced onions. I've finally figured out that for a good sized bun, a standard water glass is perfect for cutting them out. Roll to about 3/8", cut, drop onto onions, let proof. Cut dough size should be roughly 1/3 the size you want for the finished bun.

Thanks for checking out my summer larder....give the taters a whirl - they are excellent...and EASY!!

Tracey

Oh yeah very nice... I cook taters on the smoker all the time... love the ease of that!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Looks great, Tracey. Love the onion buns! So...you freeze the potatoes after baking and slicing?

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
      ... I cook taters on the smoker all the time... love the ease of that!!
      Ditto. I usually put extra on so I can dice and fry them the next morning.
      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
      Pink Thermapen
      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Yep - package individually, then grab out as we need them.

Comment

Nice Looking taters there Tracey. They look great and I am sure the MH goes great with them, have not found a use for it yet where it did not.
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI
          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Great idea for the taters... it's definitely on the list.
            Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
            Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
            A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
            A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
            Frogmats
            Maverick ET 732
            Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

nice
              Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Working...
              X