Cincinnatti Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cincinnatti Chili

As long as we're talking chili....here is my favorite recipe to put on a chili dog.
    Didn't want to hijack the other thread.

To the uninitiated, Cincinnati Chili looks nothing like what you've had before, But once you get a taste of this local Ohio specialty, you just might get hooked. Here is my personal favorite recipe for Cincinnati style chili.

If you happen to be near Cincinnati and want to try this delight, here is how you order:
    One way: A bowl of plain chili....this is unheard of...nobody orders a one way.
    Two way: A plate of spaghetti covered with chili.
    Three way: Spaghetti, chili and onion.
    Four way: Spaghetti. chil, onion and cheese.
    Five way: Spaghetti, beans, chili, onions and cheese.

Ingredients

Chili
    2 teaspoons salt or more to taste
    1.5 pounds ground beef chuck
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 medium onions , chopped fine (about 2 cups)
    2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    2 teaspoons cocoa
    1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 cups water
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
    2 cups tomato sauce

Hot pepper sauce (I prefer Frank's original)
    Accompaniments
    1 pound spaghetti , cooked, drained, and tossed with 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
    12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
    1 can red kidney beans (15-ounce), drained, rinsed, and warmed
    medium onion, chopped
    FOR THE CHILI: Bring 2 quarts of water and 1 teaspoon of the salt to
    a boil in a large saucepan. Add the ground chuck, stirring vigorously
    to separate the meat into individual strands. As soon as the foam from
    the meat rises to the top (this takes about 30 seconds) and before the
    water returns to a boil, drain the meat into a strainer and set it
    aside.

Rinse and dry the empty saucepan. Set the pan over medium heat and
    add the oil. When the oil is warm, add the onions and cook, stirring
    frequently, until the onions are soft and browned around the edges, about
    8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir
    in the chili powder, oregano, cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne, allspice, black
    pepper, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring constantly,
    until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth,
    water, vinegar, sugar, and tomato sauce, scraping the pan bottom to remove
    any browned bits.

Add the blanched ground beef and increase the heat to high. As soon as the liquid boils, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chili is deep red and has thickened slightly, about 1 hour. Adjust the seasonings, adding salt and hot pepper sauce to taste. (The chili can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat before serving.)

TO SERVE: Divide the buttered spaghetti among individual bowls.
    Spoon the chili over the spaghetti and top with the cheese, beans, and
    onion. Serve immediately.
    sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Love Cincy chili and Coney Dogs with mustard and onions. Good looking recipe. Gold Star or Skyline? I like Gold Star!
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Well I'm a Texas boy through and through. Born and raised in Waco. Lived there until I was 35. At that time I went to work for an outfit called Mosler Safe Company. They moved me to Fort Worth, where I have been ever since. Now I was raised on chili. Been eatin' it ever since I can remember. My Dad owned a barber shop that was next door to a butcher shop. They made what we call around here "brick chili", in that it was frozen into bricks. When I got married (at the tender age of 19) I went on a quest for the perfect chili. I started out with Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili kit and spent about the next 20 years perfecting my recipe. Funny thing is as I went along it got longer on technique and shorter on ingredients.

Well to continue on to the point. Mosler was big on training and their headquarters was in Hamilton, Oh. Right next door to Cincinnati. The first time I went up to Hamilton, a couple of co-workers were going too, but arriving a bit later in the day. So, while waiting for them one of the instructors invited me for a beer at his local neighborhood pub. Along the way we stopped at this joint called Skyline Chili. He 'splained to me about 2 ways, and 3 ways and 4 ways, etc. I'm sure glad, cause before the explanation I thought we were going to a party where lots of folks took off their clothes. Well, this Cincinnati Chili stuff was strange stuff indeed to me. I thought then and I still do that is is sort of a weird spaghetti sauce. Not that I don't like it, it just doesn't taste to my palate what chili ought to taste like.

Ya see, in my quest, it comes down to kind of a purist view point. Chili is meat and chilis and precious little else. A bit of onion, a good hit of fresh garlic and a bowl and spoon. Pintos on the side. But hey, that's just me, and that's what makes this country and this forum really great. There's all kinds of ways to skin a cat and that Cincinnati chili is actually pretty good (I favor a 4 way)... I just can't make me head think its chili.

**BTW, if you would like to try your hand at making Texas style chili, get one of the Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm kits and just follow the instructions. It will make a pretty good bowl of red.
      Last edited by Snarlingiron; 06-18-2013, 10:28 AM.
      A few of my favorite things:
      Good Whiskey
      Good Food
      Bad Girls
      sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
      Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Cincinnati Chili has been on my todo list for a while now.
        Weber Performer, 26" Weber grill, 18" WSM, UDS, Santa Maria Grill

Comment

Nice recipe Hoser and thanks for posting!

Funny how chili for dogs or topping is one thing but chili for chili itself is quite another. Two very different animals, both good but definitely different - at least for my taste anyway.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
            Love Cincy chili and Coney Dogs with mustard and onions. Good looking recipe. Gold Star or Skyline? I like Gold Star!
            Not sure Becky It's an old recipe that I believe I got from Cooks Illustrated.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah I like to keep the freezer stocked up with Cinci chili myself. They have seasoning packets here that are for skyline or gold star the two main joints in town along with a few others but I stick with them and turns out great every time and hits the spot... freezes great in little containers and we are good to go... pop in the micro and boom chili dogs

It is best if you use a block of cheddar and put though the thin shredder and makes for fluffy cheese... just like the the restro..
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

i cant wait to try that one
                Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I like Chili in many forms. I don't have a "go to" recipe at all. Too quote the cook from the movie "City Slickers" as long as its "Brown, hot, and plenty of it" I am good.

Comment

That Cincy Chili sounds great. The next time that I make good ole Texas Chili, I may just serve it on top of spaghetti with the cheese, and onions. I think that I have to drop the cinnamon add cumin and some other southwestern spices along with some really good jalapeno peppers.

I really do like the idea of spaghetti or penne noodles or maybe shells.

Ed
                    Yoder YS480
                    Yoder Cheyenne
                    Weber Kettle w/ Rotissieri
                    Kettlepizza

Comment

Well, I pride myself in some of the chili I've made, have a few things written down somewhere. But in looking at this recipe for Cincinnati chili, I indeed have to try it as it sounds great! Appreciate the post and will bookmark it for a rainy day.
                      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I've been making Cincinnati Chili for 30 years. Everybody looks at me like I've lost it. Noodles? they all say... But they come around sooner than later

Thanks for the reminder.
                        sigpic
                        Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                        -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                        -AMNPS
                        -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                        gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

I sure am glad that this recipe stimulated some discussion, and hopefully gets a few folks to try this style chili.
                          I was very leery when I first saw it in that it called for boiling the ground chuck....hmmmmmm I don't boil beef. Right?!

Well, for this recipe it's very important, and helps you break down the ground beef into lovely little pieces that just flow across the top of that hot dog.

Enjoy folks, and have fun trying it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                            I was very leery when I first saw it in that it called for boiling the ground chuck....hmmmmmm I don't boil beef. Right?!

Well, for this recipe it's very important, and helps you break down the ground beef into lovely little pieces that just flow across the top of that hot dog.
                            Yes boiling the meat is very against the thoughts of many of us, but for this recipe it is a MUST! I find the quicker that you can get that beef broken up int he water the smaller the little pieces are just like they serve at the restaurant. Hope many of you can try this one!
                            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                            Yoder YS640
                            Weber Genesis
                            Weber 18.5" Kettle
                            Weber Performer
                            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X