X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillbilly Cheese Crackers

Inspired by the Kentucky Firecrackers of Smoked-Meat Legend, I got to
    wondering, which got me to experimenting. LOL

Well, I've collected me some of those whey powder drink mix plastic containers the Gym Rats seem always have laying around. They are smaller 6 pound (or 96 oz) size containers and just perfect for using 2 sleeves of a Saltine box. (you could buy those big plastic containers
    at WalMart for storing your breakfast cereal or plastic 1 gallon size Iced Pitchers would do the same.

So I mixed up this formula from my home spun "Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing" knock off recipe. (see it in the Kentucky Firecrackers thread,
    the post with the picture of the "powdered buttermilk")

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...t=Firecrackers

Here is what I call the "Hillbilly Cheese Crackers"

1/2 Cup Canola Oil

1 TB Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix (or the copy cat recipe for the same)

2 1/2 TB Southeastern Mills "Cheddar Cheese Sauce Powder Mix"

1/2 tsp Garlic Salt

1/2 tsp Onion Powder

1/8 tsp Black Pepper

1/8 tsp Turmeric

1/8 tsp Ground Cayenne Red Pepper (or just a dash)

Mix er all up in a bowl with a pouring spout using a wire whisk and let it set a few minutes and then do it again a second time. It'll flavor up that
    oil real good.

Next

1) Open and pour a sleeve of crackers into the plastic jug, and whisk the
    oil mix up real good and pour about half of it all over the crackers trying to
    spread it around good. Then put the lid on er and turn it all around to mix em up.

2) Put the second sleeve in there and do it again.

I made the mistake of eating a couple of them just as I got the mixing done. Wooh...them crackers circled around on my tongue spreading all that good Cheddar Cheese goodness and now my taste buds are blooming
    like the fruit trees outside. And my mouth is watering for more.

Find ya a bag of this stuff and try it out yourself.

A bag of this stuff here sells for about $1.38. I use it in Broccoli, Rice, & Cheese casseroles and mix it up in the mushroom soup & milk before adding the cooked Rice and Steamed fresh Broccoli. Lots of uses for the stuff. Made this casserole last night and it's gone all ready. Oink !

Hope ya like em. I know my Beer drinking friends will be on these like flies and begging for more. My mouth is still watering....I think the Turmeric, Garlic Salt and the Cayenne are what gets these off the ground.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Never saw that mix, but then again really never looked for it. The crackers sound good though..
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

very nice!! will have to look for and pick tomorrow... what isle of the grocery is it in for you?? with the mac and cheese or the powder gravy mix?
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Re:

It would likely be with the gravy mixes and such.

Believe it or not, the only two places I can find it around here are the
        "Day Old" Bakery Outlets where they sell the bread that went out of date
        from the super markets.

Those places are amazing in having all of these various cooking goods.
        I don't know why it is they have stuff you can't find anywhere else.

What I'm looking for now is powdered sour cream. I'm finding it in
        Amazon. But it is in one pound bags for about $10 to $15+ shipping.
        Of course.....If you are buying $25 bucks worth from "Amazon" (and not any of their "market place sellers" who are like secondary sellers selling through Amazon), then you can get free shipping.

Time was I could find envelopes of powered sour cream with the mixes & gravies etc.

I'm trying to get stuff together to cold smoke some of these cheese crackers and firecrackers for a test batch.

Comment

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
          It would likely be with the gravy mixes and such.

Believe it or not, the only two places I can find it around here are the
          "Day Old" Bakery Outlets where they sell the bread that went out of date
          from the super markets.

Those places are amazing in having all of these various cooking goods.
          I don't know why it is they have stuff you can't find anywhere else.

What I'm looking for now is powdered sour cream. I'm finding it in
          Amazon. But it is in one pound bags for about $10 to $15+ shipping.
          Of course.....If you are buying $25 bucks worth from "Amazon" (and not any of their "market place sellers" who are like secondary sellers selling through Amazon), then you can get free shipping.

Time was I could find envelopes of powered sour cream with the mixes & gravies etc.

I'm trying to get stuff together to cold smoke some of these cheese crackers and firecrackers for a test batch.

Yeah, I love that stuff. But the only place I could get it is now gone. "Hostess"
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Re:

Hey, if you shop Amazon com they have it.

http://www.amazon.com/Southeastern-M...eese+sauce+mix

I was talkin with erain not long ago about sauerkraut mandolins for slicing up the cabbage and looking in the hillbilly flea markets around here or on
            eBay to find them. Damn if Amazon doesn't have brand new ones cheaper than I can find em used. And the used ones would only be good for hanging on the wall as a display.

One of the Bakery Outlet stores here is a "Hostess" affiliate.

Comment

Nice recipe. Damn that Amazon...they sell everything!
              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...