This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My CharGriller Mods

Editor's note: Please start another thread with any more tips or questions- the tips can be added to this post if neccessary!

I put together a document on how I did the mods to my CharGriller Smokin' Pros, for those that might be interested. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! Since I put this together, I started playing around with a new charcoal basket idea that is still in the testing stage, so stay tuned...

It is in pdf format:

http://www.hhsbbq.com/CharGrillerMods.pdf
    If this file will not work, it is attached at the end of the article.

Editor's note:
    Fireguy has some additional tips and photos to add-

Originally posted by Fireguy
    Here are the Mods I have done to my CGSP. Some these mods are done by most smokers and some I just thought might help the efficiency of my smoker.

The 1st and most common is the stack extension. You can use a piece of aluminum flex pipe, or what ever you can think up.

Another is the charcoal basket. If your having a hard time hitting higher temps, try this one for sure. It will allow the coals to pull in o2 from underneath and burn more hot. Also, it will allow the ash to drop away from the coals and eliminate them from smothering out. I used a 24x24in piece of expanded metal and a little creativity for mine. You can also buy some pre made basket that will work.

If you live in a cold and windy climate... sometimes it is hard to keep the temps up with this smoker. A fellow smoker gave the idea of having a lip to seal the lid that is often not square anyways to the bottom of the smoke chamber. I have seen many ways of doing this. I have used angle iron and high heat rtv silicone and oven rope gasket to seal mine.

After sealing it up, I experienced an air flow issue. I added a 2nd intake directly above the stock one. After a few smokes I finally got it all figured out and it is smoking great.

Editor's note- A question on the baffle/tuning plates

Originally posted by Fireguy
    Looks great!! What gauge steel did you use for the baffle and tunning plates? and with the cuts you have shown, where you able to get it tuned fairy close across the cook grate? this is my next smove, so any help would be great.
    I just used some sheet metal I had laying around the garage... not sure what guage it is. I would recommend as heavy as you can handle (i.e. cutting to length). I don't have any other way to cut sheet metal except for hand held shears, so thickness can become an issue.

I am able to get the temps anywhere from even to 15 degrees end to end. You just have to play around until you get what you want. Sometimes I leave them out altogether if I need a hotter chamber for anything that doesn't require low-n-slow.

Editor's note: DDave has some additional tips and nice pix to share:

Originally posted by DDave
    Although it is good to have the analog dial thermos it is an even better idea to use digital oven thermos. You can push the probes through a potato hunk or block of wood and place them on the grate.

Most of the entry level models have the chimney hole cut in the top of the smoker and the chimney does not protrude into the smoke chamber at all.. Heat and smoke rise so what happens is the heat from the firebox rises, runs along the top of the lid on the way to the chimney, and exits the smoker without doing much at grate level. Since the meat is on the grates, we would like to encourage the heat and smoke to travel across the meat on their way to the chimney. This helps to even out the temperature across the grate and makes the smoker more efficient. To accommodate this, it is a good idea to extend the chimney down to close to grate level. There are several different ways to do this. One is to use dryer vent ducting. Another is to roll up some aluminum flashing, place it inside the chimney, let it unroll and let friction hold it there. I chose to use exhaust tubing.

I took my lid out to the local muffler shop and had the guy cut a piece to fit and he “swedged” it so that it would stay in place when pushed up inside the chimney.

As you can see, it is pretty close to the level of the grate when the lid is closed.

Attached Files
    Last edited by DDave; 09-17-2017, 11:22 AM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~
Working...
X