Basic Smokes Instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Smokes Instructions

I was approached Sunday at my nephew's birthday party by my brother-in-law's neighbor, (whom I have never met), whio asked me for advice on smoking a brisket on his Treager. (Holy Crap!! Am I getting a reputation?? That's scary. Oh well, I guess in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. )

So we compare notes and I tell him what I have learned (from most of the folks here) and give him some suggestions, and I think about how nice it was to have the Basic Brisket Smoke and Basic Pulled Pork Smoke stickies from that "other forum". Naturally, I'm not going to send him over there, so I was wondering if there are any plans to add that here. I checked the Beef and Pork forums and I didn't see anything like this. I am certainly glad to compile (doing my best not to "plagerize") the information and place it here for you all to critique but being so new to the game, I didn't want to throw something out there like I was some kind of expert.

So . . . if there are already write ups in the works, I will just wait. If not I would be glad to put something together.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

I dont know if they are working on it or not, but I think it is a great idea.
    Stay thirsty my friends!!

Comment

Maybe a handful of stickies in the "helpful information" forum so each individual forum isn't cluttered with too many.
      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

I have a doc submitted to Ken on just this subject. I guess he has not reviewed the latest draft...there have been SEVERAL... but I'll bring this to his attention...

Thanks for thinking of S-M!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I think something "similar" is probably a good thing. I would just say that as fond as some are of smf, there are some (like myself) who really like the the difference that this site has compaired to smf. Even though alot of us are here from there and many go back and forth( which is perfectly fine), I would hope that we could do something a "step up" from whole pages of stickies in each seperate forum. It is my humble opinion that we could do a seperate forum for newbies to refer to for instruction.
          With the "smoked Meat logo" being a smokeshack, we could call that forum

the sticky shack. It could contain only sticky's and no replies.

I also think we should do them for ourselves, in other words, not use any of the pics or wording from any other website, we have so much talent and expertise here,let's use it.
          If you are gonna do "basic smoke" sticky, then do a complete one from excellent pictures and great tutorials, from the meat in a package and all the important steps to take it to sliced or pulled on a plate or in a dish/pan.

Thats just my opinion on it,and D Dave thanks for bringing it up.
          Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            I have a doc submitted to Ken on just this subject. I guess he has not reviewed the latest draft...there have been SEVERAL... but I'll bring this to his attention...

Thanks for thinking of S-M!

This one

Rule #1.

If you can smell smoke, you're smoking. One of the mistakes most often made by beginning smokers is using too much wood. Of course I speak of charcoal, gas and electric fired units mainly, but a stickburner can do this too. The appearance of the smoke issuing from the stack/vent should be "thin and blue", not "white and billowing". Often you may see a bit of white smoke after adding a chunk/chips, but is should settle down quickly to a barely visible thread of sweet smelling smoke.

Airflow and dampering can also cause the smoke to be non-ideal. This is a matter of experience with your pit, and must be played with on an individual basis. DON'T buy a new pit before Thanksgiving and expect to pull off an awesome smoked dinner. It COULD happen... but any experienced pitmaster would NEVER do such a crazy thing. One has to KNOW how the pit responds and it's characteristics before expecting to knock out great BBQ.

Rule #2

Don't rush it. BBQ is done by temps, not time <with few exceptions>. Internal temps of meat determine when it' "done". This is not an area of culinary practice for the "nervous nelly"! If you have a deadline, start early and wrap and cooler your meat, which allows easily 2 hours leeway to serve. Be aware of the phenomena known as the "plateau". Usually experienced in the larger cuts, it happens while the collegens in the meat are breaking down into gelatin, and can cause the temp of the cut to actually DROP. Resist the temptation to increase heat during this sometimes several hour period. It won't help, and you risk scorching the meat.

Rule #3

You have 4 hours to bring your cut from 40° to 140°F internal temp. per USDA regs. I will not say there is some leeway... perhaps an hour depending...as the USDA does not approve it. I WILL say it's more important with ground meats and poultry than solid cuts like a butt or brisket. Always place poultry BELOW any other meats/things on the smoker. This will avoid cross-contamination issues.

Every smoker, even among same models- can have some variances. It's up to you to play with your pit- get a feel for it's temperature maintenance, it's smoke quality/production, it's fuel requirements...etc. It's a tool..and like any tool, one must be familiar with it to exact the best performance from it.

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

And

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              This one
              Some additions I have made since that version. The doc is still under construction, and I will need some input from you wattburner pros for some basic info there. But this is a rough draft of the sticky we'd like to have.

________

A new smoker should be seasoned before use with meats. As the unit can have dirt, machining oils, packing residue- it needs this step to ensure a quality first smoke. This is a good time to play with it...keep track of temps and quality of smoke and such. Rinse out interior and wash the grates. Spray or wipe down interior with Pam or a light coat of veggie oil and heat it up. Add some wood, and find that "Thin Blue" while monitoring temps and noting damper settings. All this will help you to become proficient with your new smoker.

Every smoker, even among same models- can have some variances. It's up to you to play with your pit- get a feel for its temperature maintenance, its smoke quality/production, its fuel requirements...etc. It's a tool..and like any tool, one must be familiar with it to exact the best performance from it. And the time to do this is NOT the day before a dinner party featuring your smoked meats!

The Basics:

Most smaller smokers are designed to use a heat source that is not logs of wood. Be they electric, gas or charcoal fired, they are characterized by a small fire box/heat area.

Neglecting electrics for a moment, heat sources require air. Stuff does not burn without it. It also burns too well with too much of it. Airflow is the key to all smokers' temperature control. Sure less fuel/flame can be used, but the dampers are an indispensable item, especially with charcoal fired smokers. With the gas units, airflow is more related to smoke quality alone, as opposed to heat and smoke in a coal unit.

The idea of the damper is to allow enough air to maintain heat and yet keep things from becoming an inferno. Also, realize air has to LEAVE as well, so units that have a "stack" or "exit damper" need to have those adjusted as well.

For charcoal type units, lump style charcoal is the best to use, offering more heat and less ash production then the formed "briquette" types. "Bricks" CAN be used, but are not the preferred type.

The idea is to get a good bed of hot coals going, and add wood sparingly to produce the ideal "thin blue smoke" that is going to flavor the meat without overpowering it, or depositing creosote and other nasties on it.

Another thing that really helps is a "coal basket". This is usually just a welded or bolted together expanded metal type holder for your charcoal. It allows much better airflow and therefor better burning characteristics for these units, and also helps keep ash from choking off the coals.

Larger units- stickburners- use the same principle. Some use "weedburners" to get them going, some use a "burn barrel" to create hot coals for the firebox. Lump charcoal can also be used as the bed and wood placed on top. I will caution some of the mid-sized side firebox folks... you probaby don't have a "stickburner". You would be better off with the lump charcoal for heat and wood chunks. With enough experience you may get good results with wood only, but it will take some playing around to get it right.

Now, electric units- "Wattburners" and a bit different. Chips or sawdust is usually placed in a pan on or very near the heating elements to create the smoke. Small amounts of them at that. I admit I'm not well up on them, and will ask that this section be added to by those more experienced.
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That's what I do enjoy about this place, the absolute wealth of information that's available. Rich - you've always provided clear and concise explanations when sharing your knowledge and it's a huge bonus to have your expertise around.

I agree with the purpose of this thread, very helpful information indeed!

Lang 48 Patio | Brinkmann gourmet charcoal water smoker
                Yellow Thermapen | Maverick ET-73 | Maverick ET-72
                sigpic

Comment

It is my humble opinion that we could do a seperate forum for newbies to refer to for instruction.
                  Seconded :-)
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Kinda WAS the intent of the General Forum, and the Info forum. But perhaps that might be the best way to handle it. With a BIG SIGN and BRIGHT FLASHING LIGHTS ;{)

Comment

Not to many newbies around here yet. I imagine they will be coming along as the site develops.
                      Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                        It is my humble opinion that we could do a seperate forum for newbies to refer to for instruction.
                        I think that's a great idea, Dan. One place to go for all the basics rather than having to hop through all the sub categories.

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                        If you are gonna do "basic smoke" sticky, then do a complete one from excellent pictures and great tutorials, from the meat in a package and all the important steps to take it to sliced or pulled on a plate or in a dish/pan.
                        Another great idea. I know from a newbie perspective, the pictures are definitely helpful -- even of the meat in the packages with the label. Last spring I wondered around Safeway on several occasions looking for a package labelled "Boston Butt" before I finally posted a question and found out that it was a pork shoulder roast.

Also, when I started smoking, if I had tripped over a brisket in the store, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what it was -- much less the difference between the flat and the point and how (or why) to separate them. Pictures are definitely helpful.

Dave
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

If any of you guys want to put a basic tutorial together please send me a PM.

Thanks
                          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Thanks Tex,

Thats great advice.

Herb
                            Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                            Ducane 4100 propane grill
                            Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

I think Dave hit on a great idea!! I to like the idea of having pictures to go along with the written instructions. Hey, maybe even a short video to assist with the learning experience.
                              www.nopigleftbehind.com
                              -----------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X