No announcement yet.

First attempt at curing a ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry the cook time was the time spent in the smoker you suggest around 12hrs witch I like.
    In Ryteks book it says something like, put it in the smoker for 12hrs then add smoke for 8hrs. then raise the temp. to X for X more hrs. Just sounds like I might be up drinking all weekend and my work on Mon. might get in the way

Anyway just trying to lean on you guys for some Ideas. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Checkered Past View Post
      Sorry the cook time was the time spent in the smoker you suggest around 12hrs witch I like.
      In Ryteks book it says something like, put it in the smoker for 12hrs then add smoke for 8hrs. then raise the temp. to X for X more hrs. Just sounds like I might be up drinking all weekend and my work on Mon. might get in the way

Anyway just trying to lean on you guys for some Ideas. Thanks
      I've heard and read radically different times on thse smokes, literally from 6 hours to three days. Alot of it depends on how smoky you like your ham. I've had store bought ham that's made me want to give up cigarettes they were so smokey. Smoke it for your tastes or who ever your audience is. Remeber you can soak the salt out, but the smoke, , ,not so much.
      JT

Comment

Well, basically, get as much smoke on it as you have time for. Heck, you could cook it all the way to done and eat it in 8-12 hours or so if ya wanted. Whatever ya want- yer not gonna hurt it ;{)
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Will be doing the fry test Fri. nite and in the smoker on Sat morning. Time to get'r done.

Pictures will follow as soon as the wife gets the new camera download stuff done. I will also post pics. of the summer sausage last weekend.

Thanks fer the inputs

Comment

Well I will try to post some pics of the smoked ham...let's see if this works

This is the ham going onto the smoker Sat. morn'n

This is the ham be'n removed Sun. morn'n The dark streaks are from the smoker stack dripd ing

the grate side I then wrapped in plastic wrap and will let sit till new years eve.

I did a slice and fry test Fri. nite and as I was expecting from reading Meat hunters post it was very salty so I soaked it o/nite in water to try to remove some salt.
            One other thing I noticed was some mold groth that I washed off with hot water and a stiff brush prior to the soak

Comment

This IS the ham gon'n in...Sorry

Comment

Working...
              X