Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spit Roasting awhole Lamb

Hi folks

I have been asked to spit roast a whole lamb about 35 to 40 pounds , I have never cook lamb, so any ideas /spicing would be a great help

thanks

Qman

p.s
    I'm not sure but it might be a Canadian thing Eh

cheers

Hey Qman..I moved your thread to the Lamb section.

Wish I could help... I have to admit ignorance here. Hey.. it COULD happen, eh! LOL!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I don't know either, but I would like to pics.
      Last time I saw something like that it was a goat and they wrapped it in chicken wire, I'd guess to keep it from falling apart.

Tom

Comment

I have only done whole hogs on a spit, Not huge ones, maybe 100 pounds. And do wrap chicken wire around them, plus stuff the body cavity with a nice sausage like knockwurst and sew it up tight. As far as lamb, I have only done two whole legs on the grill indirectly and lamb seems to pare real well with rosemary and garlic. The sausage in the hog belly is great, so I have an idea on your lamb. Make up a batch of pork sausage links using rosemary, marjoram and garlic and stuff the little bugger and sew it up. Season the outside of the lamb with rosemary and garlic. Lamb is usually pretty greasy but may just need a basting of some infused olive oil with what else but rosemary. Just an Idea. And I don't know why but, Alot of recipes serve mint jelly on the side. Never tried it, it may be good ????????????
        Last edited by SmokinLee; 04-10-2009, 08:33 PM.

Comment

about what he said but a lil' yogurt & cucumber too- just google greek lamb w/ yogurt & cuke(sorry got a wee tot on my shoulder @ the moment)
          brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
          18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
          cast iron Hibachi
          22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
          & rotisserator
          12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
          stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
          Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
          http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
          my music recordings-
          http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Good call Blue. I did make a bovine tounge once for a wild game dinner. I know it's not wild game. But with my luck that year I had nothing to offer for the pot luck dinner, so I just had to make something different. I had found a recipe for a cucumber sauce to serve with the tounge and it was either yogurt or sour cream and it went very well with the meat. The tounge is really pretty good, sorta like a pot roast. Once you get past all the nasties cleaning it and all ya got it licked.

Comment

The thing about Lamb,Its done alot more rare than pork, so don't overcook it.
              I would worry about meats in the cavity, I would suggest vegetables or fruits. Most times I have had lamb, 140-150 internal was done, You wouldn't want to have sausages(unless they were smoked first) IMO deep in a cavity unless you could get them to the 160-165 temp in there.

I too , would be very interested in the pics and report on how this works out.

I am sure some internet searches could get some results.
              Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

I guess that makes sense using lamb, not so with pork. "But" What if one were to precook the sasage to 140*/145* And if you make your own make it a touch on the fatty side. Hell I just got up and am starving now.

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                The thing about Lamb,Its done alot more rare than pork, so don't overcook it.
                I would worry about meats in the cavity, I would suggest vegetables or fruits. Most times I have had lamb, 140-150 internal was done, You wouldn't want to have sausages(unless they were smoked first) IMO deep in a cavity unless you could get them to the 160-165 temp in there.

I too , would be very interested in the pics and report on how this works out.

I am sure some internet searches could get some results.
                Last edited by SmokinLee; 04-12-2009, 07:05 AM.

Comment

or use smoked sausages.

I know, its makin me hungry for lamb too!
                  Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

i bet cowgirl could answer this question...........

wow........someone can afford lamb..........d88de is jealous.......

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

lamb is cooked pink primarily for fashion purposes.
                      Flavour and texture wise it's much better cooked long and slow till well done (and yes we eat a fair amount of lamb :-)

For a whole lamb spit roast, I'd treat it just like a small pig.

Like the idea of stuffing it with sausages - and yeah I'd go for pre-cooked as well.
                      Although I'd cook it till the centre cavity hit at least 160, but the centre cavity on a spit roast will be at the dodgy temp for quite some time - so either use cured sausages or pre cooked.

Mint goes great with lamb also redcurrant jelly - a mint sauce/redcurrant jelly mix would be a great mop/basting mix.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                      X