No announcement yet.

Cold Smokin' some ribs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I posted earlier I am going to try it with cure #1. I have a half rack of ribs I need to trim and into cure they go! Today!
    Don't give up on it, just do it safely!

I have decided to "French" my "bacon on a bone" so I have something to hold on to.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
      There are only really three rules to follow when curing food.

1) always buy premixed curing salts - never try and mix your own.
      2) always follow the maximum usage amounts written on the packet.
      3) For short curing - a week or less, use cure #1 which is nitrite only
      For long curing - over a week use cure #2 - contains both nitrite & nitrate.

You can use less curing salt than recommended (i frequently do in marinades), but never more.

That's pretty much it.
      This right here needs to be pinned somewhere for easy reference for newbies...
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        As I posted earlier I am going to try it with cure #1. I have a half rack of ribs I need to trim and into cure they go! Today!
        Don't give up on it, just do it safely!

I have decided to "French" my "bacon on a bone" so I have something to hold on to.
        i cant wait, this is going to be good
        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dragos28 View Post
          Talked to my dad about my plan and this is what he suggested.

Cure with salt for about 2 weeks, wash off all the salt, put the ribs in boiling pot & let them cook about half way, then smoke....

Let me know how this sounds.. i'll be trying it out pretty soon...
          Boiling Ribs?
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by dba1954 View Post
            I've done this with a pork chop roast with the bone. A 10 lb er will brine in 5-7 days (ie pink all the way through). this is not cooked ! I use canning salt and a small amount of #2 pink salt (#2 Prague). Usually put some juniper berries in the brine. When it is done I soak in plain water for a few hours. At that point you can slice and fry it or hot smoke them. You could do it with ribs but pork chops or a pork loin roast would be much better in my viewpoint. Pork loin roast is like Canadian bacon ...
            Why #2?? Cure #2 is used in Long time hanging / drying as the 1% of Nitrate it contains (plus the 6.25% Nitrite as the same with #1 cure) breaks down the Nitrite at a much slower pace allowing for a long cure time, what you are doing only requires #1
            The True form of Canadian bacon is a boneless center cut loin, pumped with seasoning brine containing Cure #1, (or drenching if pumping is not available) then rolled in corn meal and NOT smoked. It is sliced and fried like bacon (cheaper form of crap bacon from grocery stores that is only cured and not smoked) a smoked boneless pork loin is exactly that, "smoked bnls pork loin"
            www.facebook.com/butchcolquhoun _____________________________________________

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by butcher View Post
              The True form of Canadian bacon is a boneless center cut loin, pumped with seasoning brine containing Cure #1, (or drenching if pumping is not available) then rolled in corn meal and NOT smoked. It is sliced and fried like bacon (cheaper form of crap bacon from grocery stores that is only cured and not smoked) a smoked boneless pork loin is exactly that, "smoked bnls pork loin"
              Spoken from a true Canadian......

Comment

Why #2?? Cure #2 is used in Long time hanging / drying as the 1% of Nitrate it contains (plus the 6.25% Nitrite as the same with #1 cure) breaks down the Nitrite at a much slower pace allowing for a long cure time, what you are doing only requires #1
                Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                Spoken from a true Canadian......
                Yea butt that's not true American Canadian Bacon....... a little smoke here.
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                  Yea butt that's not true American Canadian Bacon....... a little smoke here.
                  what do canadians know about canadian bacon? only americans KNOW how to do canadian bacon the right way! that's why i smoke mine and leave off that crusty corn stuff......
                  sigpic
                  it's all good my friend..........

Comment

ifin' someone dont knock out sum cold smoke ribs soon, i will have buy sum ribs on my thursday meat run
                    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I agree.

Then I like to cut it thicker----Around here we call those thick slices, "Cured & Smoked Boneless Pork Chops".

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                      X