Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$1.48 for Pork Loin for Canadian Bacon, EH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1.48 for Pork Loin for Canadian Bacon, EH?

Local store here is having Pork Loins on sale tommorow for $1.48 #.....

Sounds like the price is pretty good & have been jonesing to make some Canadian Bacon. I have seen a few of the posts in the past & wanna give it a go. Before I go and spend a bunch of time reading Would anyone like to give some input to the thread? So I only have to read this one . Maybe what they liked, or did not like aboot (Canadian) Bacon....

I think I would like something pretty mild, maybe kinda sweet for pizza & sandwich kinda stuff. I see Erain did a trial of Shooter Ricks, Travcoman's & Wutangs & sounds like they all were great. Just looking to get some input before I start. Sorry if this is a repeating question.
    sigpic

I used tenderquick to cure mine and in hindsight probably would have soaked a little longer than I did. It was just a little saltier than I would have liked. Not overly salty..just a little more than I was shooting for. Other than that, go for it! Anything else you do with seasonings is up for grabs.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Sounds like ya already read what ya need, man- and ya know what yer after ;{)

We got yer back...
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I've done the tenderquick/brown sugar cure on a few batches and liked that well enough. This last batch I added about a tablespoon each of garlic powder, onion powder and lemon pepper, along with a couple teaspoons of coriander.

WOW!! Is the best description of this batch!

Smoked it as slow as I could in the ecb (around 190* was as low as I could keep it stable) with equal parts pecan/apple/cherry woods to an internal of 145*. Rest in some towels then overnight in the fridge....

L8r,
        Eric

Comment

What Eric said. I made mine almost the same way. Used regular sugar. Next batch brown sugar. Sprinkle some CBP on one before smoking if you like. Good stuff. Don't get much easier than that.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Well I use a wet cure, usin tender quick I find that 3/4 Tbl per pound works out real well. I just use some garlic powder, onion powder, a touch of jalepeno powder an brown sugar. I also been addin in some maple powder latley, momma really likes it, so it ain't spicy! Great fer breakfest an makes a nice sammie to!

Just jump inta the project, we all give ya help when ya need it! The good thing bout these experiments, ya get to eat em!
            sigpic

Comment

best advice i can tell you is get a loin and chop in a few sections, the thicker end(rear) will need a bit longer to cure due to thickness and also will have a little different texture than the fore end and from what i have seen will end up a little lighter in color. try out a few of the recipies from the site. decide which you like best and go from there. like tip said his recipie will yield a mild flavored bacon. perfect for the non chili heads and indeed great sammie material. and then you have shooters which is a bit more playful with the taste buds, and wutangs falls in between. you cant go wrong choosing any of them. any rate pic some methods and go for it, next time blaze your own trail if you wish!!! you will have an idea as to what you like and choose ingreds to fit.
              Last edited by erain; 09-18-2009, 11:17 AM.
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X