X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Meat Probes (check)
    225° digital Traeger controller (check)
    Mad Hunky (check)

I'm taking Friday off and plan to whip some babybacks, fatties, and ABT's into shape.

I. Cannot. Wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Keelaboosa View Post
      Dual Meat Probes (check)
      225° digital Traeger controller (check)
      Mad Hunky (check)

I'm taking Friday off and plan to whip some babybacks, fatties, and ABT's into shape.

I. Cannot. Wait.
      Sounds like a plan. Should be good to go. I'll wish you luck. Leaving Friday for hunting, but will check it out when I get back.
      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
      New Braunfels Bandera
      UniFlame Gas Grill
      Lil Chief

Comment

Sounds like all ya need is some fire
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Yeah...it can cause ADHD. How I handle it is toss on a pork butt. Give ya at least 8 hours free time
          whats ADH..ooh birdy...lol

i gave up on the foil long ago cause that stuff is expensive. the bend test is good, so is the(spares) pullback check(1/2"-1"),tug test.. etc etc.
          brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
          18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
          cast iron Hibachi
          22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
          & rotisserator
          12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
          stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
          Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
          http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
          my music recordings-
          http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            I guess I should qualify this- when foiling, many DO place the ribs meat down, in a concoction of brown sugar, Parkay, honey, apple juice- any number of things. When unfoiled they are placed back bone down to re-develop "barq" and firm back up.
            Love 'em that way. Also enjoy the no-foil. Like was said before, experiment. Find your perfect rib.
            Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
            Modified Chargriller RF
            250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Foil No Foil . I agree with everyone else, it is more of a preference. I like no foil I need a little tug .
              sigpic

Char-Griller Outlaw w-SFB & (mods)
              30" Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse

Comment

I trim my ribs , wrap them in a circle with twine , rub them and smoke them til the bone starts coming out kinda like a pork butt skrinking . Never had a bad rack yet and NEVER used any foil ever . The rub is the key . Don't make it harder than it really is . It is still redneck cooking !

mu .02 cents for what it is worth

Comment

Originally posted by tripleBQ View Post
                  The rub is the key .
                  That is written in granite somewhere
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

All I can add to what has already been said is make sure you rinse those Costco ribs well... they are packed in a "solution" that alters the flavor. I'm sure you've read about removing the membrane on the boneside. There are actually what appears as two membranes, one holding the bones together, and one on top of that. Remove just the outer layer.

I have converted to no foiling. I too, use the bend test to check for doneness. I also squirt them every 45 to 60 minutes with a mix of apple juice and worchy sauce. I normally cook my ribs in the vertical part of my Klose, and have a water pan at the firebox end... helps keep the meat moist.

Sounds like you are ready to rock and roll! Good luck, and don't forget the pix!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Cooking for me = no foil.
                      Cooking for comp = foil, 321.
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

great thread folks. this is so helpful to all.
                        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I'd planned on the following. Please chime in if I'm gonna shoot myself in the foot.

Thursday night
                          • Peel ribs
                          • Coat with Mad Hunky
                          • Cover with orange slices
                          • Wrap in plastic & fridge overnight

Friday morning
                          • 10:00 Let come to room temp
                          • 11:30 Coat with yellow mustard & add more rub
                          • 12:00 Put on grill at 225°
                          • 12:30 Spritz with 3/4 apple juice, 1/4 bourbon
                          • 13:30 Spritz
                          • 14:30 Spritz
                          • 15:00 Foil one (two?) racks with apple juice, bourbon & brown sugar
                          • 15:30 Spritz no-foil rack
                          • 16:30 Spritz no-foil rack
                          • 17:00 Remove from foil, put on bbq sauce, turn up temp to 300°
                          • 18:00 Remove, cover for 30 minutes
                          • 18:30 Eat!

Comment

Don't rub the ribs till a short time before smoking. Rubbing way ahead can result in "hammies". Not that that's bad... but it's different.

Also, the citric acid can break down meat to a mushy stage...

Comment

Just me, I would skip some of the "Spritzen". If there is no reason to open the smoker and loose temp, why do it. Good seasoning (rub), marination and consistent Temp's render's good ribs far more predictably. I don't "spritz" anything but myself.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                                All I can add to what has already been said is make sure you rinse those Costco ribs well... they are packed in a "solution" that alters the flavor.

---SNIP---
                                Hmm - stopped by Costco last night to see if they had plain wrapped ribs instead of the cryovac packs, but they didn't. So, hopefully just rinsing the ribs will get rid of whatever evil concoction they're in.

Maybe I'll see what the local butcher's got on tap!

Oh, got the digital control installed on the Traeger last night and was happy to see it holds temperatures pretty good. It overshot 225° and went to about 250°, but came back down and hovered within ±10° of 225°.

Well, why let all that heat and smoke go to waste? Why not try out my new dual probe thermometers? Why indeed?

So, I threw on a couple of..

er..

Hebrew National Hotdogs ('sall I had handy).

Sorry, no pron.

Comment

Working...
                                X