Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the quickest anyone has done pulled pork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
    Fat cap off also
    Always do take it off im a barklover not a believer that it makes it juicier to leave the fat on an already fatty piece of pork

Comment

I'm a little late to the party but . . .

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
      six hours would be great or even 8, let us know how they pull too
      The ones I get from Safeway are usually in the 5 pound range. I imagine they just whack a 10 poundish one in half. One or two, it doesn't seem to matter, on the drum at 250ish and they're done in around 9 hourish. If the temp creeps up to 270°, I don't even blink. And they turn out great.

Originally posted by Mr Tony's BBQ View Post
      also, no real smoke gets in past 4 hourst
      That doesn't make any sense. Think about it . . . the outside of the meat is going to change differently at different temps. It's not like the meat has a timer that goes off at 4 hours and slams the pores shut.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      OK...NOW I have an issue.

Post a topic in general info with that statement...
      I haven't checked for another thread but will post this link anyway.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298

Originally posted by ALX View Post
      Smoke is a flavor not a temperature....I just showed an extreme example when i showed 350 degree butt smoke....
      350° is a mild oven temp, is it not?? Why is it sacrelige to cook pork at 350°??

Like Rich said, we explore the boundaries here, document it, and enjoy discussing and sharing the results. No worries and no judgement for the most part.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post

350° is a mild oven temp, is it not?? Why is it sacrelige to cook pork at 350°??

Like Rich said, we explore the boundaries here, document it, and enjoy discussing and sharing the results. No worries and no judgement for the most part.

Dave
        Thanks DAVE....Pandy asked and since i have been playing with fire/smoke all me life i posted an example.....

Hot Damn Brother....I wouldnt be here if we dint play around with different techniques etc....Man...growing all the stuff i have over years it would get boring if i had to do same thing and SOMEBODY decided this or that is best....

Comment

Aight den... BBQGODDESS and myself, just this past weekend, smoked a 6 lb. butt , 8 lb butt and a 7 lb brisky point. 6hrs total. Internal temps 200° to 205°.
          Pulled, with out a doubt, absolutely perfect. Cooked over wood at 300° to 350°.
          I have done this more than once and would do it again. Not my usual method, but it works.
          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
            Cooked over wood at 300° to 350°.
            Say it ain't so.

Just kidding.

Allow me to quote from the sig line of one of my favorite mentors in the smoking world -- Capt Dan.

Takes alot of work and an open mind to make good BBQ.
            Emphasis added.

And I saw this on another forum but can't remember it precisely, so I'll paraphrase again.

Good BBQ is not as much about method as it is about results.
            Whatever gets your meat cooked the way you want it is the way to go IMHO. Be it at 225° or 450°.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              As this thread's already a mess...
              My favorite story to muddy up the waters a little more;

Christmas dinner, Mom serves the ham, it looks beautiful but the daughter says, "mom, why do we always cut the end off the Christmas ham before we cook it? Mom says "I don't know", she turns to Grandma and asks the same thing.
              Grandma says "I don't know but Mom did it that way too. It's about time to call Great Grandma at the home anyways, let's ask her why, cause that's what she always did".
              The answer, , ,
              "So it would fit in the only roasting pan we had"
              Guess you can all figger out my point.
              JT

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
                Aight den... BBQGODDESS and myself, just this past weekend, smoked a 6 lb. butt , 8 lb butt and a 7 lb brisky point. 6hrs total. Internal temps 200° to 205°.
                Pulled, with out a doubt, absolutely perfect. Cooked over wood at 300° to 350°.
                I have done this more than once and would do it again. Not my usual method, but it works.
                This is what i was looking for Thanks!! wasnt so hard

Comment

This is & has been a great thread & I hope it continues.... And it has made for some great debate & comments..... Can we all agree that there is no "Correct" way to BBQ/Smoke meat (Food Safety Aside) but there are lots of different techniques, that all will produce great tasting Q..... For example, there are a few (Myself Included) that always have & like to smoke pork low & slow @ 225*..... because that's the way I learned it, it turns out great & everybody is happy.... And then, there are those who suggest that 225* is nonesense, or a waste of time or whatever....... -VS- the crowd that say 275*+ is not really smoking it low-n-slow like it should be or "whatever" once again..... My point is.... I was belittled 2 different times in the past week for my method of smoking Pork @ 225* by 2 different members.... ... Hey, I can take it..... No big deal.... As long as food safety is not jeopardized.

I think a little more "thought" should be applied to some of our posts, in respect to someones smoking/cooking methods, not that I can't take it, really.... But IMO, some tend to sound like an Arrogant Ass when they make such statements as their method of cooking as being "THE ONLY WAY" or "Superior To Yours"

Personally..... I do take "suggestions" well.... I am here to learn & help others learn as well......

Bill Herzog: " No one of us knows more than all of us"
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Tony's BBQ View Post
                    Maybe I am missing something here...I thought this was a forum about "smoking" meat, not "getting it over with" ..... heck, maybe try a 800° pizza oven - "get it over with" in less than an hour....maybe use a 140,000 btu blow torch while spinning the meat on a lazy susan... it'l create bark, just not eatable bark...
                    THE reason I "smoke" whole hogs and other large cuts IS for the flavor slow smoking creates! There are all kinds of guys "roasting" pigs over charcoal and / or LP gas in 4-5 hours in my parts....- I can achieve that flavor in my G.E. electric oven with some kingsford in a tin pan.......
                    Personally, I would add gas assist to my Lang before "rushing" my butt.
                    Like I said, I must be missing something here.
                    Bless you sir,
                    I was thinking just shove it in the microwave for 30 minutes. and if you have it at room temp before shovin it in, it will be faster.
                    now if I can only get my gun smith to make me a custom mauser in 5x57 AI with a mesquite stock in two days.
                    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

it would be pretty boring if we all had the same answers to everything, right? but when someone does come on asking a serious question, it would be nonsense to hold back on providing an answer that would work, simply out of fear of offending someone. i tend to look at advice across the entire spectrum, and then form an idea and a plan based on an amalgam of that information, leaving the fringes to the side and settling on something closer to the middle. for this particular debate, i think that 250-275 is "somewhere in the middle," but pandy can make his own decisions.
                      Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 11-18-2010, 11:33 AM. Reason: apologies to fish - it's been a long week!
                      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

275-325 or even 350 here. if it's for a catering to be served a day later or whatever i'll even pour the smoke to it for a couple hours then oven finish @ 375 for the remainder. saves on the bottom line charcoal cost wise.
                        brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                        18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                        cast iron Hibachi
                        22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                        & rotisserator
                        12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                        stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                        Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                        http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                        my music recordings-
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                          fish - since you used my phrasology, i will respond.

no one was belittling anything, or taking on a superior attitude that one way was the "only way" and that if you do it ant other way you're going to end up with a 6-lb pile of dung. you say three or four times that you can "take it;" well, i don't think that there was anything for you to take individually as you were not personally insulted or belittled. at worst, a couple-three people made an opinion about a cooking method/temperature - that's not being an arrogant ass, it is having an opinion on a discussion board. it is bad to see feathers get ruffled over differences of OPINION; by your logic, folks who get bent out of shape over it some folks come off sounding like thin-skinned, passive-aggressive obama voters, and we don't want that, do we?

for the last time, pandy was asking how to shave some time off his smokes. i suggested something from my experience: along with two other suggestions, i suggested that being hell-bent on 225 degrees at all costs for the entire smoke is not necessary, and the exact same results can be achieved at 250 and even 275, which will dramatically shorten the total cooking time from half a day down to maybe a shift at work. i even put forth my OPINION that i would rather cook at a range closer to 250.

no one cooks a roast in the oven at 225, do they? correct me if i am wrong, but i think the usda actually recommends against such a thing because such a low temperature runs the risk of meat spending a lot of time in the so-called danger zone. if food safety is a concern, you might look into this.

it would be pretty boring if we all had the same answers to everything, right? but when someone does come on asking a serious question, it would be nonsense to hold back on providing an answer that would work, simply out of fear of offending someone. i tend to look at advice across the entire spectrum, and then form an idea and a plan based on an amalgam of that information, leaving the fringes to the side and settling on something closer to the middle. for this particular debate, i think that 25-275 is "somewhere in the middle, but pandy can make his own decisions.

anywy, it's all good - i am pretty sure pandy has enough information to make his decisions, and we will hear about results.
                          Fair enough T..... Looks like there is a good number on each side, making for an interesting topic.
                          sigpic

Comment

You werent kidding Fish, people get passionate about their way of smoking!! As TasunkaWitko said all I am looking for is a way to shorten my cook time every now and again or forever if i like the results, you know what i cant even make this statement now without someone saying otherwise lol LOW AND SLOW IS THE BEST WAY!! I got great answers and I will do my next one at a higher temp and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
                              You werent kidding Fish, people get passionate about their way of smoking!! As TasunkaWitko said all I am looking for is a way to shorten my cook time every now and again or forever if i like the results, you know what i cant even make this statement now without someone saying otherwise lol LOW AND SLOW IS THE BEST WAY!! I got great answers and I will do my next one at a higher temp and see what happens.
                              ..... You will be fine, as long as you do it MY WAY !!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                                ..... You will be fine, as long as you do it MY WAY !!!!
                                HAHA no shit!!

Comment

Working...
                                X