"Mod" Hunky Ribs, Power Smoke Grilled With Pecan On The Weber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mod" Hunky Ribs, Power Smoke Grilled With Pecan On The Weber

Testing out a Mad Hunky "Mod" Hunky on some ribs..... I could see, smell & finger taste a difference from the normal Mad Hunky, but was unsure of the taste difference when the cook was finished. I could definately tell the difference between Rich's "Mod" Hunky & the mods that I made to the original Mad Hunky with Montreal, garlic, onion & sugar which tasted more salty to me, which i did not like as much on the ribs as the "Mod" Hunky.....

Power kettle smoke cooked these & could not get the temps down where I wanted them today, running mostly in the 280's area, but did get 250* for about 1/2 hour. It was about 85* here & I used about 1.5 funnel, so next time 1 funnel might help keep them down..... Got some end areas that crisped up a bit, but overall they turned out pretty good for a kettle smoke-cook..... I will try to go back & fill in some pics, but the video is it for a bit.

Last edited by Fishawn; 07-04-2011, 12:56 PM. Reason: pics added
    sigpic

interesting....I have never done it st.louis style.....Maybe using a whole spare kept them moister etc...that ways rib sorta basted/boiled... hehee... in own juices and beer...

Neat experiment though..Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Looks great as always Scott...
      Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
      Weber 22.5" WSM
      Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
      Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
      Weber Smokey Joe
      GMG Daniel Boone
      Pit Barrel Cooker
      Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
      6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
      Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
      The Vortex

Comment

Dang Scott, no bite test... those fall off the bone or no... just kinda curious. i guess i will get over it though, mebe with time, and a little counseling... i will be able to watch another rib video...lol!

nice expierimentation, whatcha do with the rib tips trims etc? mebe savin for some beans or cooks snack material... thks for sharing bud!!!
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
          Dang Scott, no bite test... those fall off the bone or no... just kinda curious. i guess i will get over it though, mebe with time, and a little counseling... i will be able to watch another rib video...lol!

nice expierimentation, whatcha do with the rib tips trims etc? mebe savin for some beans or cooks snack material... thks for sharing bud!!!
          I either use them for makin bacon or sausage or (with bones call them knuckles and Q them up with sauce.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

They were not fall off the bone, just bite through was what I was aiming for. I like the toothpick test that ALX pointed out to me, seemed to be dead on as far as feel from the toothpick sliding in and out and the resistance, and where they ended up finished. I did not have a "Redneck Thermapen" handy like Mike uses, so did not get to test em that way..... The tips I like to strip all the meat off, vacuum pack and freeze. From there, they come in handy when you just gotta have smoked pork, or tossed in beans, nachos, etc..... I just love messing around with the kettle, just couldn't get temps down this time. I should probably learn more on the WSM... Next time, just experimenting on the quicker smoke-grills, for situations where I don't have as much time. ALX has a couple other tricks up his sleave for kettle ribs that I wanna try though.... Beer #2 down..... Happy 4th to all...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
              They were not fall off the bone, just bite through was what I was aiming for. I like the toothpick test that ALX pointed out to me, seemed to be dead on as far as feel from the toothpick sliding in and out and the resistance, and where they ended up finished. I did not have a "Redneck Thermapen" handy like Mike uses, so did not get to test em that way..... The tips I like to strip all the meat off, vacuum pack and freeze. From there, they come in handy when you just gotta have smoked pork, or tossed in beans, nachos, etc..... I just love messing around with the kettle, just couldn't get temps down this time. I should probably learn more on the WSM... Next time, just experimenting on the quicker smoke-grills, for situations where I don't have as much time. ALX has a couple other tricks up his sleave for kettle ribs that I wanna try though.... Beer #2 down..... Happy 4th to all...

Did you get much smoke flavor scottie...We prolly cook 75-100 st.louis for comps every year and thats time and temp traditional way....I do find toothpick test valuable in foil stage when grilling...you can easily emulsify them at high temps....I just always grilled em whole spares and reverse st.louis them after cooked...thinkin all that extra gristle/fat on trimming side might help braise em more in foil...

Beer 4 and first rum......happy 4th

Comment

Smoke taste was pretty good, 2 hours with Pecan.... I think you right with whole spares and fat in tip/trim area.... Next test, be a bit different, will PM you for info... Beer #4, Alaskan summer Kolsch style ale (Alaska Brewery)...
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X