No announcement yet.

First crack at pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You wouldn't start to lose a lot of liquid until the fat begins to render so no need to take it out and put in a pan, you will have plenty of liquid in the foil once it's done resting anyway.
    If you're using a smoker that has a water pan (using a weber I think you said?) then you should have had the water pan in from the beginning for some moisture and to regulate heat a lot better but not a super big deal that you forgot at the beginning, everything still should be fine.

Guessing by now you are around 140-145 with it so another hour or so and you should hit 160 I'm figuring, then once it's wrapped another 2-3 hours and you will probably be at or close to 200.

After resting you can always even shred the meat, cool it and stick in the fridge either in a foil pan or vac seal in bags top reheat if that's easier (pulled pork is one of those wonderful meats that is just as good, if not better, when reheated) and get some sleep.

If you ever need to reheat PP in a pan, covered and into the oven at 225-250 for about 90 minutes or in vac sealed bags dropped into simmering water for about 20 minutes, just make sure the water isn't too hot cause that can cause the bottom seal to come apart and you will be working with pulled pork soup instead. I know
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
      G, d I've screwed it up "crying" I added a few more coals as it wasn't upto temp and had the vent open a bit more to encourage the old coals to get hotter and forgot while I was talking here, temp spiked to 320.
      I'm guessing that's an epic fail ?
      Meats at 147 and I'm 307 on the Q temp and fighting like hulk hogan in hot pants to rain it back in
      Not a big deal, just close the vents a little and let the temps come down some and keep her going...the temp fluctuation is a nitpicking deal, I still get temp spikes a lot higher at times and it's fine as long as you get them back down eventually and don't run them 250 for an hour then 350 for an hour then back down to 250 for an hour type of deal, so you're still good to go

sigpic

Comment

Whew, your a scholar and a gentleman fire,
        Pleasure to make your acquaintance
        ( in my best prince William accent)
        sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Whew, your a scholar and a gentleman fire,
          Pleasure to make your acquaintance
          ( in my best prince William accent)
          Thanks, always happy to help. And good impression...thought I was talking to the Prince himself just then

Gonna hit the hay now, hope all turns out well with the pork and looking forward to the finished results (and pictures if possible) once she's all done

sigpic

Comment

No wueries, if it dosnt look shithouse they will be here, thanks again bro
            sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341390296.300002.jpg

Ugh next time I might try the snake
              Still within the parameters but a bit frustrating.
              What do they say.. A watched weber never holds temp... Or somethingImageUploadedByTapatalk1341390494.540521.jpg

Bottle of red. Chair. Messy garage. Weber. Ahhhhhhhhh this is the life. Did I mention rain?
              sigpic

Comment

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341391907.990556.jpg

Woohoo just fooled and temps in the range
                sigpic

Comment

ok while you were sleeping.... small disaster, fire kept dieting and i couldn't save it, got to 191 and the q temp kept dieting, so I've thrown it in the oven at the same temp, I'm not probing it bit it was a cold oven, so ill give it an hour i guess, wow what a performance
                  lol
                  promiss to take pics, good , bad , or ugly
                  im starvin!
                  sigpic

Comment

i ment dieing , mac osx lion thinks it knows what i mean better than myself
                    sigpic

Comment

i ment dieing , mac osx lion thinks it knows what i mean better than myself
                      Heh... I have that feature turned off...

Bet the meat will be fine... :{)
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

gonna try it soon bro, m staving
                        lol, to much time off work and to much red wine, family gave up and went to bed, but I'm eating it!
                        lol
                        sigpic

Comment

gonna try it soon bro, m staving
                          lol, to much time off work and to much red wine, family gave up and went to bed, but I'm eating it!
                          lol
                          You go D...

Didja make that finishing sauce as well? Really dresses the flavors up nice... without killing them. I add the "Liquid Gold" into that recipe as well...
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

ok while you were sleeping.... small disaster, fire kept dieting and i couldn't save it, got to 191 and the q temp kept dieting, so I've thrown it in the oven at the same temp, I'm not probing it bit it was a cold oven, so ill give it an hour i guess, wow what a performance
                            lol
                            promiss to take pics, good , bad , or ugly
                            im starvin!
                            one thing aboot a butt is they are very forgiving. so if you had some temp spike issues and even if you got into 300 deg range for a bit you still gonna be ok. same with the rub, many times i put the rub on and throw it on the smoker and to tell the truth really dont see much of a difference.

only thing i would add to what FIU and others helped you out with is after you foil it and save the juices etc is to remove from foil and what i call "Reclaim the bark". what i exactly do id take butt up to 160 deg, foil with a bit of liquid of choice, take to aboot 195, unfoil and back on smoker til 200... then foil and rest for an hour or so in a thermo before pulling.

for a finishing sauce i use the juices defatted, a GOOD balsamic viniger, and some apple juice. i dont have any measurements just best guess and taste. i have also added some SBR's thinned out with apple cider vineger to the finishing sauce for a more saucy pulled pork.

serve on a good bun with a dollop of homemade coleslaw on top... i just so happen to have some PP and slaw in frige right now and i am going to have a sammy for breakfast now...
                            Charbroil SFB
                            GOSM
                            MES
                            Dutch Ovens and other CI
                            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

you just made me hungery, I've ben catching up with old euchre friends trying to tell myself i want dieting go starvation, had a few reds to stave it off, i like the sound of the finishing sause a lot. but i think its gonna be all cave man when i get it, its midnight here bro
                              lol
                              sigpic

Comment

it looked a bit shit when i foiled it, as in no real colour on the bark, idk, i cooke that basted for hours
                                ill take some pics before i i nhail most of it in my redwine induced stuper
                                lol
                                i havnt really eaten all day coz i was so looking forward to it, but my wine stash has seriously deminished

happy 4th kids
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X