• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smells Wsum looks ugly a
    MImageUploadedByTapatalk1341417491.422014.jpg

Hang on I'll open it up
    sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

That is NOT ugly... that is BARQ!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Flavours ok .......the cats liked it
        It's dryer than a camels vagina
        Pretty disappointed I prolly overlooked it in the oven .....ps the nrs hates
        Be
        Lok
        sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
          Flavours ok .......the cats liked it
          It's dryer than a camels vagina
          Pretty disappointed I prolly overlooked it in the oven .....ps the nrs hates
          Be
          Lok
          If it's too dry, you'll get it next time. No need to fret, at least you've done your first pulled pork.
          Last edited by tadowdaddy; 07-04-2012, 11:28 AM.
          Don

Humphrey's Pint
          Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
          Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
          Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
          Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
          Anova One Sous Vide
          AMPS
          Purple Thermapen
          Maverick ET-733
          DigIQ DX2
          Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

dunno how dry a camel V is, mebe ya gotta work it some to get dem juices flowing...

jk, seriously i am surprised it got that dry on you...
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I need sleep
              , i.m im off my guts
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                dunno how dry a camel V is, mebe ya gotta work it some to get dem juices flowing...

jk, seriously i am surprised it got that dry on you...
                Heh... well, it was a shoulder, and it COULD happen... with a butt cutt it'a harder to do that....

There's always the finishing sauce, and BBQ sauce if it has to be....
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Ok in the clear ligh of day I re examined it and pulled it apart.
                  It's actually pretty moist in general and had an awsum smoke ring.
                  I made some sauce and mixed it with some pork and nuked it for 40 secs and slapped it in a bun with some slaw, awsum!
                  Kids like it too
                  sigpic

Comment

Is there a priest in the house?
                    i dont know about priests but there are several preachers and i believe that prayer works.

shoulder/butt are pretty forgiving and it sounds like you will be able to eat this one - nuke bun slaw awesome sounds like you scored.

for hangin in there and asking questions
                    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

By the way the sauce I used was based on advice from here but I changed it a tad.
                      I used cider vinegar, sugar, maple syrup, Cajun spice and a bit of sweet baby rays sweet n spicey
                      sigpic

Comment

It's actually pretty moist in general and had an awsum smoke ring.
                        I made some sauce and mixed it with some pork and nuked it for 40 secs and slapped it in a bun with some slaw, awsum!
                        Kids like it too
                        well then it sounds like it was a success eh... post some pics next time a the finished product. we like that here... for what seems like a smoke turned good!!!
                        Charbroil SFB
                        GOSM
                        MES
                        Dutch Ovens and other CI
                        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341473190.842942.jpg
                          That's it today, been in the fridge tho. There's a pic a few posts back of it too
                          sigpic

Comment

[ATTACH]12087[/ATTACH]
                            That's it today, been in the fridge tho. There's a pic a few posts back of it too

That looks OK to me... Add a bit of finishing sauce and your good to go...

Points for doing your fist PP and on a Weber even!
                            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Cheers tex, I've been grazing on it all night, the finishing sauce realy made it
                              sigpic

Comment

Just threw some pork shoulder in the weber, used some melle honey infused mustard and a fiddes Payne tex mex rub..
                                Don't expect it to be perfect as I rushed the rub n stuff a bit ( got rained off work and got the pork today) so it wasn't rested overnight or anything.
                                Temp on the Maverick is sitting about 217 stable.
                                It's only around 4 pound I'd say,
                                Any tips?
                                cook at a higher temp: 250-300. doesn't dry out, cooks a little quicker, not so stressful for you

G, d I've screwed it up "crying" I added a few more coals as it wasn't upto temp and had the vent open a bit more to encourage the old coals to get hotter and forgot while I was talking here, temp spiked to 320.
                                I'm guessing that's an epic fail ?
                                Meats at 147 and I'm 307 on the Q temp and fighting like hulk hogan in hot pants to rain it back in
                                Love the analogy - but see post above as far as higher temps go

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                                You wouldn't start to lose a lot of liquid until the fat begins to render so no need to take it out and put in a pan, you will have plenty of liquid in the foil once it's done resting anyway.
                                If you're using a smoker that has a water pan (using a weber I think you said?) then you should have had the water pan in from the beginning for some moisture and to regulate heat a lot better but not a super big deal that you forgot at the beginning, everything still should be fine.

Guessing by now you are around 140-145 with it so another hour or so and you should hit 160 I'm figuring, then once it's wrapped another 2-3 hours and you will probably be at or close to 200.

After resting you can always even shred the meat, cool it and stick in the fridge either in a foil pan or vac seal in bags top reheat if that's easier (pulled pork is one of those wonderful meats that is just as good, if not better, when reheated) and get some sleep.

If you ever need to reheat PP in a pan, covered and into the oven at 225-250 for about 90 minutes or in vac sealed bags dropped into simmering water for about 20 minutes, just make sure the water isn't too hot cause that can cause the bottom seal to come apart and you will be working with pulled pork soup instead. I know
                                That's one way to do it.
                                Personally I don't like losing ANY of the liquid. So I always cook my pulled pork in a large foil tray. Add apple juice when I foil and that liquid (once you seperate the fat) is reduced down, usually with some redcurrant jelly added, and then mixed back into pork while the pork is still warm. The meat will reabsorb most of the liquid, the rest will set and when you reheat the pork give a little juice and keep it super moist (like a more slutty camel that's spotted a well hung donkey )

By the way the sauce I used was based on advice from here but I changed it a tad.
                                I used cider vinegar, sugar, maple syrup, Cajun spice and a bit of sweet baby rays sweet n spicey
                                That's one way to go. But if you save and use just the porks own juice and apple juice - it still tastes like pork. I think sometimes by the time you've added rub, fancy liquid at the foiling stage and finishing sauce - you're producing more of a competition product (all has to be the same) and it lacks your individual stamp.
                                Just my opinion :-)

So my salient points would be:

1) cook at higher temp - 250-300.
                                2) cook in foil pan to retain juices
                                3) use the juices themselves with some minor additions for your finishing sauce
                                4) keep drinking the red wine - the gradual descent into drunkenness as the day's posts developed has been genuinely hilarious

for first pp and for the whole thread in general

Bonza job, mate
                                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                                X