Cold Smokin' some ribs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One does not cure with salt??
    not following u buddy.... but salt is what has always been used to cure meat....

Comment

Originally posted by dragos28 View Post
      not following u buddy.... but salt is what has always been used to cure meat....
      Curing salts(sodium nitrite or sodium nitrate) differ from table salt(sodium chloride)......
      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Plain salt is not accepted as a 100% safe cure here. Maybe not even a cure at all. There is much debate over this. Anyways you should use nitrites to be on the safe side, like i mentioned b4
        sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
        Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
        Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

You could use regular table salt, and then hot smoke, but I think you will find that your finished product will be extremely salty....like a country ham....

Comment

Another HOT topic. Lets cool the grill down for a few days see it develop.

You guys need to not rush so much. Smoking meat is a slow process, let the 'Internets' be slow too. Lke at a bar. What would you say to a new smoker. You'd be a lot more friendly for sure.

Give it time, don't get a bad batch of hot smoke over a post.................

See what the OP has to say.

Let's not get into the last rush OMG new sauce fiasco. Welcome the new guy please.

Comment

Originally posted by Conumdrum View Post
              Another HOT topic. Lets cool the grill down for a few days see it develop.

You guys need to not rush so much. Smoking meat is a slow process, let the 'Internets' be slow too. Lke at a bar. What would you say to a new smoker. You'd be a lot more friendly for sure.

Give it time, don't get a bad batch of hot smoke over a post.................

See what the OP has to say.

Let's not get into the last rush OMG new sauce fiasco. Welcome the new guy please.
              One of the biggest things on this forum is adherence to food safety and sanitation. For 2 reasons:

1) The safety of the OP and their friends and family.

2) The safety of anybody else that happens to read a thread, and decide after seeing somebody else do something unsafe, they can do it that way too... Its a public forum and the world is a big place.....

I really don't see where anybody was making this into anything but informative.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                One of the biggest things on this forum is adherence to food safety and sanitation. For 2 reasons:

2) The safety of anybody else that happens to read a thread, and decide after seeing somebody else do something unsafe, they can do it that way too... Its a public forum and the world is a big place.....

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

sigpic

Comment

IMNSHO.......personally the best ribs are done in a smoker @ 225-275 deg dependng on the preference of the pit master......there are even comps that give out big prizes for the best. i have never heard of anyone winning a comp with "curred ribs" but if you wish to try it and you want to ask for advice and discuss it on this public forum and you do not wish to use approved curring methods and ingredients, don't get bent when those of us who have spent many years of research and countless hours of trial and error don't embrace your reasoning of "but salt is what has always been used to cure meat...." that just ain't gonna fly in MY book (i will not speak for others).

now, if you want to cold smoke uncurred ribs like some euro-dude in LA, get a cooler like a reach-in or a walk-in and figure out a way to pump smoke in there, otherwise you will need to cure them with a nitrate of some sort.......but plain salt ain't the way unless you have a controlled environment and lot's of time. before you waste a good rack of ribs try a small run with CSR's to see if this is what you are really after.

Conumdrum.......the misfits don't need a lecture on P&Q's..........
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by dragos28 View Post
                      A hundred years ago and more...salt was used for curing. But that salt was impure due to archaic harvesting/purifying processes. And guess what a major impurity was? Yup...nitrate/ites.

Today's salt has none, and is not a safe way to prevent bad things happening in meats processed in the "danger zone".

Take a look at this: http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27

Now..if you truly COLD smoked the ribs...below 40°F- then you'd be safe.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Indeed... we strive for the best information available to be presented, and in a timely fashion, as alot of times someone has already started a process, or perhaps a "fly-by" has read something that is not up to snuff.

Thanks to all who help out and do research here BTW!
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Been years since I did any like that. I would use TQ per label instructions, with a bit of added sugar and some salt free rub. Wrap tight or vac pac for 4-6 days, depending on thickness, rinse, pat dry and have at it with the smoke....like bacon on the bone.....
                          Bacon on the bone.....hmmmmmm, I'm warming up to this. St Louis I assume?
                          Might have to try this.
                          For the record I will (maybe, thinkin bout);
                          Brine in MH Pork Brine with the appropriate amount of "Cure 1" for three days. ( Might be some peppers and Agave sneakin in there)!
                          Cold smoke for 12 hours prolly with oak.
                          Then hot smoke to 165° internal cause I can. Butt you could finish them in the oven.
                          Ahhh man, now I gotta think bout the sauce. Thinkin NC style, thinner and vinegary?
                          Scuse my while I slip into.....the freezer, look see.

on edit; Check off the oak for the cold smoke, I have a bunch of "Pitmaster Blend" pellets from Todd, I like a lot!
                          I'll start a new thread, I already side railed this one enough...but it is on topic!
                          Last edited by Mark R; 10-13-2013, 06:28 AM.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

The place I buy my pork bellies has "smoked baby backs" in the deli case.

Lots of folks were buying them so I decided to try them to see if I could learn something.

I learned there are a lot of folks that are clueless. They were dry, salty, tough, almost uneatable. Not as bad as chocolate covered bacon, but close.

Comment

If there isn't smoke or a fire burnin somewhere, don't go with the "Q".
                              Mark
                              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Didnt mean to come off as cocky, just didnt know that there was more than one type of salt available. I will do my research.

Comment

Working...
                                X