Cold Smokin' some ribs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragos28 View Post
    Didnt mean to come off as cocky, just didnt know that there was more than one type of salt available. I will do my research.
    There a a lot of different salts.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Didnt mean to come off as cocky, just didnt know that there was more than one type of salt available. I will do my research.
      No worries, I don't think anybody thought that. We're all just trying to help. Morton makes a really good product called "TenderQuick" that has a ton of utility when it comes to curing, as it contains both Sodium Nitrate and Sodium Nitrite.

And, if you choose to only use table salt, just make sure you get the internal temp of your ribs above 140* within 4 hours of starting your smoke...
      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

So what are the health risks associated with using sodium nitrate and sodium nitrites while curing? I make an extra effort to avoid buying foods that have nitrates and nitrites in their ingredients.... just as i avoid purchasing any foods that have MSG or any food colorants added....

Comment

No more than if you eat store bought bacon or ham. That is how they are cured.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

So what are the health risks associated with using sodium nitrate and sodium nitrites while curing? I make an extra effort to avoid buying foods that have nitrates and nitrites in their ingredients.... just as i avoid purchasing any foods that have MSG or any food colorants added....
            Well, I won't preach, there have been studies that have shown the use of Nitrates, etc have demonstrated an increased risk of all sorts of things. Studies have also shown an increased risk of this and that from consuming smoked and grilled meats. Studies have also shown an increased risk of this and that from drinking coffee, red wine, and just about everything else that you can consume..... Similar studies have also shown that foodbourne illness such as botulism can be fatal. I guess it leaves one up to using their own judgement.

The biggest question I have to ask you, is: why do you want to try cold smoked ribs? Is there an advantage or benefit you know of that makes it desirable, or just something you want to try?

Comment

Just want to try it.. it might be the best thing ever.. or might taste like sh!t & i'll never do it again :D
              just curious..

done some reading and the health risks associated with sodium nitrate and nitrites, also with petersalt and other curing and pickling salts are much higher than with common table salt... but i'm not one to preach, if you are using these and you find them to be acceptable, then so be it.. i will stick to sodium chloride...
              i also might look into a hot smoker.
              I'll give it a go with some cold smoked ribs... let u guys know how they turn out... hopefully i can report back with good news.

Comment

I do as well. Brine them. Either in Mad Hunky or your own. Then hot smoke them. As long as the internal temp is above 140 in 4 hours.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Just want to try it.. it might be the best thing ever.. or might taste like sh!t & i'll never do it again :D
                  just curious..

done some reading and the health risks associated with sodium nitrate and nitrites, also with petersalt and other curing and pickling salts are much higher than with common table salt... but i'm not one to preach, if you are using these and you find them to be acceptable, then so be it.. i will stick to sodium chloride...
                  i also might look into a hot smoker.
                  I'll give it a go with some cold smoked ribs... let u guys know how they turn out... hopefully i can report back with good news.
                  Saltpeter is no longer accepted as a safe curing salt. In addition, most of the "uncured" sausages, bacon, and hot dogs on the market use "celery extract" which is a high in "naturally" occurring nitrate.

Be very careful of the path you are taking. For the most part, it is NOT generally recognized as SAFE.

Comment

Nitrites are in almost everything we eat, from vegetables to our own saliva. You cant avoid them
                    sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
                    Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
                    Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
                      Nitrites are in almost everything we eat, from vegetables to our own saliva. You cant avoid them
                      not in my saliva,
                      i spit a lot

JK!

Comment

just curious..

You will be sticking to sodium chloride AND iodine with table salt. Use Kosher or canning. And DO NOT think it "cured"- EG get it to 140 within 4 hours.

The down side of nitrate/ite is not measurable against it's upside.

Also give up celery, spinach, kale, radishes... just saying.

Don't let the tail wag the dog. Look beyond the sensationalistic BS into the science. Get smart...not snowed
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thats cool. Good luck! The butcher in my town has smoked whole loin with the ribs attached. Iv never tried them but they look good. Hamy!
                          sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
                          Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
                          Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Cured Smoked Ribs???
                            It's called "Bacon-On-A-Stick".
                            Not to be cold smoked---Curing time is for flavor only.

Easy Step by Step:
                            http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...threadid=19153

If I was going to cold smoke these Ribs, the only thing I would change would be the Curing Time. To Cold Smoke I would cure for 4 days, instead of 2.
                            Then I wouldn't have to worry about the "40 to 140 in 4 hours" rule. However I would still take the final IT to at least 145*-150* before consuming. 170*-180* would be better.

Personally I would do them like I did in the Step by Step (above), in fact I have a couple racks of Spares in my freezer that have been winking at me.

Bear
                            Last edited by Bearcarver; 10-13-2013, 05:43 PM.
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                              No more than if you eat store bought bacon or ham. That is how they are cured.
                              lots if not used correctly / proper ratio's... Canada's laws are to not contain more then 200PPM, (USDA about the same, I'm sure Rich could chime in on the legal ratio in the USA) Nitrite's are said to be cancer causing if used incorrectly. but on the other hand, if not used when keeping meat in the danger zone temps for a period of time, then the bacteria content in the meat is harmful.
                              www.facebook.com/butchcolquhoun _____________________________________________

sigpic

Comment

Now, i'm not sure if anyone picked up on my "process"
                                but i believe that i should be in the safe zone.

i'll be curing for 2 weeks... maybe a bit longer, until the osmosis process goes all the way to the bone, i'll be curing with Morton's Kosher Salt, coarse.

then i'll wash them off with cold water & put them in a boiling pot of water and cook them until they are about 1/2 way done

then i will cold smoke them for about 6-8 hours.... on a cold day so that the temps stay in the low 70's maybe high 60's... it doesnt ever get much colder than that here in Bakersfield....

then i will bbq them :D

Comment

Working...
                                X