Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first ever attempt at true smoking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I brought the butts inside at 5:30 AM to warm up a bit. Fired up the smoker and waiting for it to come up to temperature. I've placed a hotel pan, with about an inch of an apple juice/pineapple juice mix, under the smoking surface. This will catch the drippings as the butts smoke. I've mixed up my Mop, 3-2-1, Apple Juice-Apple Cider Vinegar-Spiced Rum. I do have a quick question...

In the side firebox, there's the "cooking grates" and then the charcoal goes underneath. Should I put the apple chunks directly on the charcoal or up on the cooking grates, or a combination of both? I ask because, last night, when smoking up the venison, if I placed the chunks directly on the charcoal the chunks seemed to burn up really quickly. I guess I'll need to keep a close eye on it and adjust on the fly, for the first few hours, until I get the hang of it.

Comment

Great start!

Originally posted by returnofsid View Post
      In the side firebox, there's the "cooking grates" and then the charcoal goes underneath. Should I put the apple chunks directly on the charcoal or up on the cooking grates, or a combination of both? I ask because, last night, when smoking up the venison, if I placed the chunks directly on the charcoal the chunks seemed to burn up really quickly. I guess I'll need to keep a close eye on it and adjust on the fly, for the first few hours, until I get the hang of it.
      Personally, I would put them directly on the coals.
      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
      Pink Thermapen
      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
        This is probably the thread you're thinking of.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287

Dave
        Thanks Dave, yep that was the one...
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
          Venison=130-135 ish In my world. They cook very fast, it is very easy to miss that mark.

Welcome from Illinois!

I would make some mods to that smoker and set up the the fridge a little different.

Real men have more than one smoker.......
          Yeah, the venison was a little dry. Marinating it, next time, would help.

I've already decided that I'm going to keep the CG as is. I'll purchase a second firebox for the fridge! HAHA

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
          Great start!

Personally, I would put them directly on the coals.
          I'm kind of doing a combination. Chunks directly on the coals are burning pretty quickly. I've got chunks on the cooking grates as well and they're slowly smoldering away.

Comment

Instead of actually "mopping," I'm spraying the mop on, with a spray bottle, at least to begin with. I don't want the mop to wash or wipe off the rub. Once it begins to build some bark I may actually use the mop. I just sprayed the first mopping, inserted an internal thermometer, and took a picture! The smoker seems to be holding pretty steady at about 225 degrees. The internal thermometer isn't reading accurately in this photo, because I'd just stuck it in.

Comment

Looking good!
              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

looking good
                sigpic
                GMG Daniel Boone
                UDS
                Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                Vision Kamado grill
                Weber Genesis Silver
                Smokin Tex
                MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                Maverick ET 732
                Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                2 orange ThermoPops
                A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                Vortex

Comment

Wow loving the looks of it. I'd just keep using the spray bottle. Those bad boys going to make some good sandwiches I bet.

Comment

Photo update...9 hours of smoke so far. I've had a couple stalls, when I failed to check on it soon enough...Internal Temp of the one on the right is 135, the one on the left is 125. I'll probably swap their position the next time I mop.

Comment

yum

Comment

About 30 minutes ago I added 4 chicken breasts that have been marinating all day. That'll be tonight's dinner.

Comment

Now I'm headed home to double check those temperatures, with a known calibrated probe. Those temps sound too low for 9 hours smoke, at 200.

Comment

Sure enough, after calibrating 2 food probes, the thermometer I'd been using is off by 30 degrees!

Comment

Working in the food industry, as a gourmet chef for several years, you'd think I'd know better than to trust a new thermometer, especially one that has no way of calibrating it!! I was at my daughter's dance school and I was scratching my head...something was wrong but I couldn't put my finger on it! So, I raced home and grabbed 2 of my food probes that CAN be calibrated. I ice water calibrated AND boiling water calibrated both. They're accurate. That other thermometer is going back to the store tomorrow morning!

Comment

When I was using my CG I actually ran it as a stick burner keeping a live fire as much of the time as possible...A pain in the @ss but the payoff is in better flavor than smoldering wood will provide...

However you use it you need a good thermo like the ones that Maverick sells...To monitor pit temps and meat temps both at once...
                                Craig
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X