Pork Butt Juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork Butt Juice

I am going to smoke a pork butt this weekend for some pulled pork. I plan on vac sealing some left overs as a test. If it reheats well and tastes good I want to prepare some food for when the wife has the kiddo this fall. Quick easy meals will be great.

I've only done one pork butt so far. It was big, like 10 lbs. Family was over and I didn't plan enough time so I cranked the heat to 290 F just to hit 185 F. Thankfully if pulled nicely and was delicious. So with better planning I am confident I can make great pulled pork.

Question is about the juices. I see most people saying to save the juices from the foil when vac sealing and freezing to prevent the meat from drying out. I did not foil the first butt I did. Mostly because I wanted the bark and I figured it was easier not to foil it. I also did not inject it so I wouldn't have any extra juices from that. Not injecting is mostly a personal taste thing for me. I like the bark, rub, and smoke flavor. I've had some over injected not so yummy pork butts made by others.

So if I don't foil or inject is there any real juice to be collected? Or if I put a pan under it will I only collect rendered fat?

Good question.

I do a couple of things along these lines. I either save the drippings or I use them for the veggies. Here's what I mean.

Along the way after cooking and resting, you should have plenty of juices collected. The easiest thing to do is pour that into a container and put it in the fridge for a day. The fat will rise to the top and form a hockey puck when cold. Scoop it out, do what you want with it and save the liquid gold.

The other thing I do is slice or dice up your favorite veggies like onions, jalapenos, bell peppers, etc. Put them in a pan underneath with any additives you may desire. I pour some apple juice in and even some dried red peppers. Just leave that pan of veggies underneath the meat for the smoke and it will turn out good as long as it being cooked indirectly as well.

So, here's kind of what I'm talking about:

and this is a brisket flat but here's how I did it to keep everything indirect so it doesn't boil:

and with a different smoker

Last edited by Abelman; 05-10-2017, 04:16 PM.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Pan instead of foil-collect liquid gold. Defat. Add back to PP, or..hell it’s liquid gold. Use as seen fit :)
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Maybe this (Below) will be of some help.
        It has the juices collected & separated in Pics.

You might not get as much juices in a pan below, without foiling & adding some other juices, but you should get some.

Link:
        http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21576

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

ok. similar response. disposable pan underneath the meat of choice. let it collect until the final temp. don't worry about anything burnt around the edges. when the meat is finished and properly resting, remove the pan and drain the fluid into an appropriate container. ( maybe not plastic). allow the fluid to sit into a refrigerator. a freezer can help speed the process. the fat "cap "should separate and rise to the top. If you have used a heavy container you can pry up the laden layer of fay and set it aside. the resulting au jus can be returned to the meat after heating it up to make the meat more moist. only add what you need then freeze the rest for later. that fat layer is handy as well. while it is still firm but pliable, drop it into a ziplock bag and form it into a log like a stick of butter. then the next time you make something like baked beans, just slice off a couple of pats of pork fat to introduce some lovely smoky flavor. bingo
          sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Pork Butt Juice

I alway save all the juice free anything that I make. I put it in plastic wide mouth jars and refrigerate it. There really isn't anything better to use as a base for bbq sauce.
            When I go to use it I skim off the hard fat and discard it. Take the juices and boil it till it reduces by a 1/3. It is loaded with smoke and concentrated flavors.
            Great to use as the start of my home made bbq sauce. I also use it in auju.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by freebee; 05-21-2017, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Pan instead of foil-collect liquid gold. Defat. Add back to PP, or..hell it’s liquid gold. Use as seen fit :)
              this..........

i use it and seal and freeze...........toss bags in simmering water to reheat.....best method i have fond for ease, flavor and mess............win-win-win!
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Most of the thyme, I defat at the end and mix it back in along with some Tiger Sauce when the pork is pulled. Can't be beat.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                  this..........

i use it and seal and freeze...........toss bags in simmering water to reheat.....best method i have fond for ease, flavor and mess............win-win-win!
                  Perfect use for Sous Vide! ........ I know Chef!
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Louie throws rice & jalapenos in it on a slow boil!
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                      Perfect use for Sous Vide! ........ I know Chef!
                      don't use that kinda language 'round me!
                      sigpic
                      it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                        this..........

Question -- pan the entire cook or just when you would normally foil?
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                          Question -- pan the entire cook or just when you would normally foil?
                          The good stuff don’t start rendering till 140 or so.. 150’s a good temp. Many wait for 160.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

The good stuff don’t start rendering till 140 or so.. 150’s a good temp. Many wait for 160.
                            Ah . . . good to know. I'll have to try that next time.
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

depends on the smoker.
                              if you can have a waer pan below the juice collector that's good. if it's a UDS type thing you will just burn up your juices depending on how many racks you have.
                              personally I'd loose wrap.
                              reason is- a butt is only going to collect so much smoke before 140 & after that you would actually be enhancing the smoke in the juices if wrapped.
                              if you have a direct below fire & you try to collect juices w/out a heat sink or water pan below that you could end up w/ a greasefire & creosote juice.
                              brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                              18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                              cast iron Hibachi
                              22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                              & rotisserator
                              12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                              stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                              Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                              http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                              my music recordings-
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Working...
                              X