No announcement yet.

Pork Butt Juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok all I didn't have a chance to smoke anything the weekend I posted this. Been busy. But I am doing a pork butt this weekend for our cook out. Last one I got was 10 lb from the local butcher. That was fine other than it took wayyyy longer than expected so I called the temp to 290 to finish. Don't want to do that again so starting much earlier this time around. If it'll fit I plan on placing in foil pan around 145 F too collect juice.

But..... Since I've been reading here I have a question. Last time it took 6 hours to hit 140 F at 225 F. Didn't think much of it until I started reading about not probing for a few hours and getting up to temp within 4 hours. I didn't die but I still have concerns since I've read what others have said about this. With such a large cut would you start with a higher temp than 225? I was thinking start at 250 until it hits the be 135 - 140 then back down a little. And I wouldn't probe it until the 4 hour mark.

Sounds like a decent plan?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

I never cook much below 250. You will be fine. Put that chunk on a rack in a foil pan from the start and you won't have to worry about moving it or losing heat from opening the cooker another time. The rack will keep the underside from just sitting in the rendering. Sometimes I throw in sliced veggies toward the end just for fun. Onion, garlic, celery. etc...Save them and blend them up. Add those back to your rendered juice for a very lovely stock that can be put back in your pulled meat or frozen and used later for stuff. mmmm good!
      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Didn't think of the track in a pan. Good idea. I'll be trying it.

Comment

Originally posted by a207769s View Post
          Since I've been reading here I have a question. Last time it took 6 hours to hit 140 F at 225 F. Didn't think much of it until I started reading about not probing for a few hours and getting up to temp within 4 hours. I didn't die but I still have concerns since I've read what others have said about this. With such a large cut would you start with a higher temp than 225? I was thinking start at 250 until it hits the be 135 - 140 then back down a little. And I wouldn't probe it until the 4 hour mark.
          As long as you don't puncture the intact muscle by injecting or inserting a temp probe, then only the outer 1/4" needs to pass 140° (or 135° actually) in 4 hours. If it is injected, or in the case of ground meat, then it is no longer intact muscle and the center must reach 135° in 4 hours.

The 4 hour rule is cumulative. It takes into account all of the time that the meat was in the danger zone.

If the meat was sitting on the counter for 30 minutes while you are waiting for the smoker to warm up then it must reach 135° in 3 hours and 30 minutes. The 4 hour counter doesn't necessarily start when the meat goes into the smoker.

Having said that, I , like jwbtulsa, don't cook much of anything below 250°. I usually shoot for 240°. And there really isn't any useful information that a temp probe will give you IMHO until you are ready to foil. So I really don't see any point in temp probing at all until 5 or, depending on the size of the pork butts, even 6 hours in.

YMMV
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

10 lbs of pork butt rubbed down with Mad Hunky (with a little BS added). Currently wrapped up and waiting to be tossed on the smoker this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
              As long as you don't puncture the intact muscle by injecting or inserting a temp probe, then only the outer 1/4" needs to pass 140° (or 135° actually) in 4 hours. If it is injected, or in the case of ground meat, then it is no longer intact muscle and the center must reach 135° in 4 hours.

The 4 hour rule is cumulative. It takes into account all of the time that the meat was in the danger zone.

If the meat was sitting on the counter for 30 minutes while you are waiting for the smoker to warm up then it must reach 135° in 3 hours and 30 minutes. The 4 hour counter doesn't necessarily start when the meat goes into the smoker.

Having said that, I , like jwbtulsa, don't cook much of anything below 250°. I usually shoot for 240°. And there really isn't any useful information that a temp probe will give you IMHO until you are ready to foil. So I really don't see any point in temp probing at all until 5 or, depending on the size of the pork butts, even 6 hours in.

YMMV
              Ditto to what these guys said.

I don't run a very tight ship when I comes to temps. I shoot for 275°F and normally float between 250°F and 300°F. I get very concerned if my temps start edging towards 225°F.

But i would be very concerned about food safety if I did not go from fridge temps to 140°F in 4 hours or less.

The one caveat to that rule cured meats.

Good luck and post pictures
              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a207769s View Post
                10 lbs of pork butt rubbed down with Mad Hunky (with a little BS added). Currently wrapped up and waiting to be tossed on the smoker this evening.

That's a good start

sigpic

Comment

I’ll refund your purchase price on the rub AND the meat if yer not pleased. Well..unless ya fall asleep and turn it into a cinder

Nice heavy coat...good call. That’s ALOT of meat!
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Funny you mentioned you added a little BS to your rub. Most folks on this forum add BS every time we post, myself included!

happy weekend!
                    sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                      Funny you mentioned you added a little BS to your rub. Most folks on this forum add BS every time we post, myself included!

happy weekend!
                      Yeah... one of the main reasons I came out with the “Sweet Heat” trial batch.

Dunno if I’m gonna continue it tho. Only sells at about .20 the pace of the GP.
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        Yeah... one of the main reasons I came out with the “Sweet Heat” trial batch.

Dunno if I’m gonna continue it tho. Only sells at about .20 the pace of the GP.
                        I was not referring to brown sugar when I mentioned "BS", just sayin'
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                          I was not referring to brown sugar when I mentioned "BS", just sayin'
                          Oh. Hehehe.. WOOSH!

Comment

thermopro sent me a while new thermometer because my meat probe went bad. Figured I'd use the new meat probe with the old unit. Well the smoker temp kept dropping and acting strange. Plugged the BBQ probe from the new unit in and you can see the difference. Seems like the new probe is correct and reading higher. Old probe must be dead. I loved this thermometer while it worked. Guess I'll be investing in a better product.

Plan on keeping the temp 250 or so on the new probe I don't go to low if by some off chance the old probe is correct. Not likely though. Smoker seems warmer to the touch than normal so I think it running warmer than 230. 15-20 degrees probably isn't a huge difference but I don't like not knowing for sure.

Comment

Hee hee hee, he said meat probe, twice!...
                              sigpic

Comment

Here is an easy test to see if your thermometer is close.

A glass of ice water should be 32°F

A boiling pan of water should be 212°F

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X