This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DDave View Post
    I was thinking maybe bbally is really Alton Brown.
    Alton has a food scientist that does the research for him. I forget her name right now.

Several reasons I would not be Alton, his knowledge comes from his food scientist.

He puts stupid crap recipes up on his website that call for Salt Peter. IDIOT!

He poopoo's food safety all the time, either due to him or due to his food scientist not understanding how to use the guidelines and rules to do something correctly.

He is always making fun of food safety. I would never do that, one only need to read the benefit to society given to us by Louis Pasteur to realize how important microbiological hygienne is to the life span.

He is a good host and makes things interesting, just wish he would not screw up on TV so much... people believe him.

Harolds pretty good, though he seems to have a poor understanding of papain.
    Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Still reading. (Dr. Spock imitation) facinating!
      Indeed, and enlightening!
      Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
        Indeed, and enlightening!
        If you are serious about barbeque, you have to eventually get serious about carcasses.
        Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
          Several reasons I would not be Alton,
          Okay . . . I withdraw the Alton Brown comparison.

Your shall remain, in your own words,
          the weird guy knows all this crap
          who can cook PLUS explain why food does what it does when it's cooking.

Glad to have you here.

Dave
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

If you are serious about barbeque, you have to eventually get serious about carcasses.
            I know you are right about that. I am afraid of the frustration factor involved in finding that better grade of pork without buying cases of butts and ribs!

Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
              I know you are right about that. I am afraid of the frustration factor involved in finding that better grade of pork without buying cases of butts and ribs!

Well Dan when you were a young'un you learned about the carcass of the opposite sex by feeling it up.

Meats need to be felt up a lot. You will start to be able to pick out the good ones. It is just not as obvious as the human carcass
              Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Very informative, educational, useful post. I did know about pork carcass grading (and lamb too) besides beef. Had to grade carcasses as well as live animals in my FFA vo-ag classes and teams as a teen. Thanks for all the great info you share with us Bob.
                sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

All very interesting.
                  One question though, is pull back or bone creep a factor in competition grading? I understand you are talking about high end catering Bob and I see the implacations for meat quality, and that obviously would effect judging. But appearance-wise, in competitions, are the judges looking at this?

JT
                  JT

Comment

Great thread Bbally. Thank you for the awesome information.

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                    All very interesting.
                    One question though, is pull back or bone creep a factor in competition grading? I understand you are talking about high end catering Bob and I see the implacations for meat quality, and that obviously would effect judging. But appearance-wise, in competitions, are the judges looking at this?

JT
                    Great question JT . I am also interested in this.
                    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

A great read for sure. It sure is a pleasure to have such an educated fella on this forum. Thanks for all your wisdom and for sharing too.

Comment

Watching last night food challenge on the Food Network Channel I notice a lot of the Rib turn ins had pull back. some looked as much as 1 inch. All I could think of was all the cheap ribs being turned in. lol
                        If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                        Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Great thread Bob. I took some friends to a BBQ joint in Jackson, Michigan last week and having been there before recommended the ribs. When they came to the table I was a little concerned over the lack of any pull back on the bones. The ribs were very good and cooked perfectly. A bite came right off the bone but the rest of the meat stayed in place. Didn't give it anymore thought until now. So it would seem this place uses a top quality rib and know what to do with them also.
                          sigpic

GOSM/propane
                          UDS (Cam)/lump
                          22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                          Weber Genesis/propane
                          Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Originally posted by JustSmoke2 View Post
                            Watching last night food challenge on the Food Network Channel I notice a lot of the Rib turn ins had pull back. some looked as much as 1 inch. All I could think of was all the cheap ribs being turned in. lol
                            Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
                            When they came to the table I was a little concerned over the lack of any pull back on the bones. The ribs were very good and cooked perfectly. A bite came right off the bone but the rest of the meat stayed in place. Didn't give it anymore thought until now.
                            This contrast is very interesting since we (previously anyways ) generally compliment each other on the "great pull back" in the rib pics. And even in the turn in boxes that I have seen pictures of on various forums, it seems that pull back is more common place than not on the competitive circuit. I wonder if a turn in box of ribs with NO pull back would be scored down for appearance in the KCBS world.

Okay, you KCBS judges. We know you are out there. What say you??

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Great info!

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                              I wonder if a turn in box of ribs with NO pull back would be scored down for appearance in the KCBS world.

Okay, you KCBS judges. We know you are out there. What say you??

Dave
                              That was my next question too.
                              KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                                Great info! That was my next question too.
                                I would assume since the say meat quality and handling quality count, pull back would have to be a deduction.

But I am not a judge so I have no real idea.

I can tell you if they are not deducting for pull back, or rating pull back higher then non-pull back, I would join a different organization. Because it shows a complete lack of understanding of the carcass, proper cutting of the carcass, and proper selection of the quality of meat to cook and present.
                                Last edited by bbally; 01-18-2010, 05:24 PM.
                                Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Working...
                                X