• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbally View Post
    , or rating non-pull back higher then pull back,
    Errr visa versa... I assume...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

since the early premise of BBQ was cooking the cheaper and tougher cuts of meat to savory goodness and tenderness, it might be a better score altogether if a guy used an inferior cut of beef or pork and it tasted as good or better than the more expensive/higher graded stuff.

Personally , If I could walk in a comp with a choice or select grade angus packer over the teams with the wyagu's, it would be quite the accomplishment.
      Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
        since the early premise of BBQ was cooking the cheaper and tougher cuts of meat to savory goodness and tenderness, it might be a better score altogether if a guy used an inferior cut of beef or pork and it tasted as good or better than the more expensive/higher graded stuff.

Personally , If I could walk in a comp with a choice or select grade angus packer over the teams with the wyagu's, it would be quite the accomplishment.
        I would agree if it was wyagu against select or choice.

But what we have is whether a person can select a good peace of meat. They are all sitting in the market bin priced the same. Do you have the knowledge to pick out the one that will produce the best product since they are all $1.99 a pound?

I purchased the one I used in the st louis demonstration from the market to show what a little knowledge can do in getting a better product for the same price.
        Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

We kinda did that, din't we?
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

This is what I was thinking. But as long as we realize the difference between comps and high-end catered food, then all is good.
            And I am sure Bob is an awesome chef and pit master, but 40 bucks a plate for anything is too much money.

Do competitors really bring that high dollar stuff? If they do, does it make a difference?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
              Do competitors really bring that high dollar stuff? If they do, does it make a difference?
              As I alluded to in my last post... we (Dan, Geoff, and I) did 2 briskies last comp. One Wyagu, one Angus. We turned in the Angus and walked :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                As I alluded to in my last post... we (Dan, Geoff, and I) did 2 briskies last comp. One Wyagu, one Angus. We turned in the Angus and walked :{)
                What did you pay for the waygu?
                Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

What did you pay for the waygu?
                  Geoff provided it. I think it was over $50?

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Geoff provided it. I think it was over $50?
                    Not waygu, probably wagyu like, but waygu is big big bucks.
                    Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Not waygu, probably wagyu like, but waygu is big big bucks.
                      Dunno... like I said I don't know the price- but was told it WAS waygu

Geoff? Maybe ya can clear this up.

Comment

I think it was closer to $80-$90.

And yes they use them all the time. I am not that serious to do that, plus I get more satisfaction if I can score well with the cheaper angus!
                        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

This is one of the reasons that I love this site. As I said in my new guy intro post, show me, teach me, make me the artist I want to be. Thank you for sharing your expertiece.

Comment

We raise Beef Master/angus cross breds. We lose alot of money at the auctions, because we don't run pure angus. so much of this is BS. I know people at Cal Poly who run the Carcassing program. Once the hide is off, our beef rates as high as any pure angus. The same is true of the Waygu. It is much more about hybrid vigor and enviorment, than about anything else.
                            I would totally agree that being picky about your initial purchase is as important as the way you cook it.
                            JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                              We raise Beef Master/angus cross breds. We lose alot of money at the auctions, because we don't run pure angus. so much of this is BS. I know people at Cal Poly who run the Carcassing program. Once the hide is off, our beef rates as high as any pure angus. The same is true of the Waygu. It is much more about hybrid vigor and enviorment, than about anything else.
                              I would totally agree that being picky about your initial purchase is as important as the way you cook it.
                              That is pure crap Whiskey. You need to find a better way of marketing or selling your cattle. Even the certified angus beef folks don't require purebreds. We don't sell much through auction for a lot of reasons, but that would sure be another reason not to. Most of our beef is marketed through local buyers, or marketing assns. that basically act as a middleman, to find us feeders in the midwest that are looking for calves to finish. You are dead right on hybrid vigor, environment, feeding program, etc. contributing far more to the finished product than specific breeding. Enough rant.
                              sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

That stage is running away water activity. While it has been losing hydration the entire time it has been cooking, this threshold is the start of rapid dehydration. That is the meat is going to release a lot of steam losing its water. This is due to the meat being in resonants with its infrared acceptance and emission. It can no longer accept any more heat energy without giving off energy of equivalent strength. Hence water will start to regularly exceed its boiling point, 198 F here at my altitude, and release the energy in an explosion where the water changes states from liquid to gaseous stage.
                                Now that's MY kind of cooking info. I prefer to know WHY as well as How.
                                again bob. :-)

As for grades of pork - I suspect that over here we understand that a little more, but in a different way.
                                The cheapest, nasties mea is factory farmed pork and the worst comes from denmark and holland. Britich mass produce pork is generally better as our welfare standards are higher.

Then you get outdoor reared pork, sort of free range. Because the pigs move about more they tend to develop better muscle tone, live happier lives and produce much much tastier meat. If I can I buy this.
                                Then you have named outdoor reared pork - generally rarer breeds like tamworths, gloucester old spot etc - this stuff is expensive - unless you can buy the whole pig then it's actually quite cheap. But you do get a lot of weight of waste in processing a whole carcase.

Next up would be named organic free range pigs. Personally I find no difference between organic and non-organic meats. And I'd prefer the farmer had the choice to use antibiotics rather then let an animal die of infection.
                                Organic is the most expensive, but not necessarily the best quality.

More and more farmers are shifting to outdoor reared pigs. Greater return on investment, healthier animals and they can pretty much sell all they can produce.
                                We havea number of outdoor pig farms round here - also a fair bit of pig rustling.

Now, Bob is the quality and density of muscle in an animal (indicative of breed and how it's raised) also a factor in pullback ? I'd always assumed it was because the muscle fibres shrink when cooked that caused the pullback.
                                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                                X