Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
    This is how I see it.
    20-20 I'd say. I'll run that up any flagpole! (Underneath Old Glory, of course!)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks, guys - I know that I sometimes come off as rather cavalier about beef and vension, but pork is a whole 'nother ballgame ~
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

My apologies John but I am getting the shit beat out of me at work and my patience is a bit thin.

Ron, the only thing I would differ with is the part about tric. and freezing pork. If you read the wording carefully (not that you didn't), is says tric in pork products is killed by freezing for such and such time and temp. It then differentiates that freezing wild game is not effective...because the species of tric that live in wild game (native) are freeze resistant or immune. Brown bear for instance or walrus, because of the climate they live in, the tric is unaffected by freezing. Pork is not considered a "game animal" as it is non-native. The species of tric that infest wild pork are different than that of native game. So apparently the freezing of pork works.

Bear as for the 140° comment, this comes from a summer sausage recipe from Kingudaroad.
        Smoke them at 140 for 4 hours. Slowly raise the smokehouse temp to 165 and smoke them to an internal temp of 140. Yes, they are done at 140. There should be no fat rendered and they should be a nice dark smoky color.
        http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11852

I use this method, except I built a fermentation chamber, I didn't like what it did to my oven.... It is excellent!

I have changed the seasonings a bit...fresh diced jalapeno for one.

Can I go now?
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Can I go now?
          Nope - you're trapped here forever....once you're in, there's only one way out, and that's through the smokehouse in the form of 152-degree links.....
          Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 05-21-2014, 03:50 PM.
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Nope - you're trapped here forever....once you're in, there's only one way out, and that's through the smokehouse in the form of 152-degree links.....

Good point about wild vs. domestic piggies. I'll add a bit in there to include that!
            If you read the wording carefully (not that you didn't) is says tric in pork products is killed by freezing for such and such time and temp. It then differentiates that freezing wild game is not effective...because the species of tric that live in wild game (native) are freeze resistant or immune. Brown bear for instance or walrus, because of the climate they live in, the tric is unaffected by freezing. Pork is not considered a "game animal" as it is non-native. The species of tric that infests wild pork is different than that of native game. So apparently the freezing of pork works.

Deep freezing is effective for pork given the chart.
            Deep freezing is not effective for wild game (excluding pork).

It doesn't differentiate between wild and domestic pigs. Wild pigs are not considered "game animals". Gamie for sure, they STINK!
            The wild pigs are all escapees...or were turned loose. There are no real native "pigs".
            They are all of European origin, that's why they are infested by a different species of Tric. So there is no distinction between wild pork and domestic pork, because the are the same.
            Last edited by Mark R; 05-21-2014, 07:23 PM.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

edits made - i think the list above is fairly comprehensive now, and can be touted as "sound advice!"
              Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 05-21-2014, 04:40 PM.
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Mark
                sigpic

Comment

'go with what you know' - is probably the worst advice I've ever heard.

Everybody 'knows' something different to everyone else.
                  If you go down the pub you'll meet an entire building full of 'experts' and they all KNOW stuff. And most of it's wrong and everyone will 'know' something different to the next man.

I'm with bear on this one - there are scientifically approved and tested guidelines out there - use them.

One interesting thing about wild boar.
                  Bought some from lidl recently.
                  It was american in origin, via germany and sold in england, tasty too
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                  X