Pork Chops and Vacuum Sealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork Chops and Vacuum Sealers

Well, I put this in the fire pit cause it's not really about pork chops. It's about the benefits of properly sealing and freezing meats for later down the road.

I ran across a pack of 2 pork chop steaks in the freezer from March 31st, 2011. Yes, that was 2011. I guess I brined them as well and I have not a clue about what I used.

Now, the wife and I hate pork chops as growing up for both of us, it was all about eating apple sauce with bits of dried shoe leather mixed in. So, I'm not even sure why I had these in the freezer except to say I was trying to over come our fears at one point and just never got around to it.

I figured I'd just throw them on the grill and give them to the dogs. I didn't do any prep to them what so ever. I was smart enough to use the new internal temp of 145° unlike the days of our parents.

I even rested them in foil for 10 minutes or so. Had to do a good job for my dogs. Since they were all done, I also decided to take a bite. Gave one to all the family members. I'll be damned, it was actually pretty good. Certainly better than anything my wife or I ate growing up. I also realized our counter tops look like pork chops I'm afraid

I still gave it to the dogs but may have to try and do them the right way sometime like the excellent chops that jwbtulsa posted. I'd eat those in a heart beat.

So, for meat over 4 years old, I just love my vacuum sealer even more.

Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

I agree...a vacuum sealer is a game changer for storing items in the freezer. I have an el cheapo food saver and will buy a nice one when this goes belly up...if it ever does. I use it all the time. Now that I have the Sous Vide I also use it for that too. It has demonstrated it's worth many times over, and now I would consider it an indispensable piece of kitchen equipment, kind of like my therma pen.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by bbq engineer View Post
      i agree...a vacuum sealer is a game changer for storing items in the freezer. I have an el cheapo food saver and will buy a nice one when this goes belly up...if it ever does. I use it all the time. Now that i have the sous vide i also use it for that too. It has demonstrated it's worth many times over, and now i would consider it an indispensable piece of kitchen equipment, kind of like my therma pen.
      ditto dana ^^^^^

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Yes I couldn't live without my sealer...day 12 on vac sealed jar of fresh salsa and it was still good last night when I opened it.
        sigpic
        GMG Daniel Boone
        UDS
        Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
        Vision Kamado grill
        Weber Genesis Silver
        Smokin Tex
        MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
        Maverick ET 732
        Brown and lime green ThermaPens
        2 orange ThermoPops
        A-Maze-N Tube 18"
        A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
        Vortex

Comment

Yes I have found steaks in my freezer that were that old...Still fresh and red as the day they went in...My dogs DID NOT get those...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
            Now, the wife and I hate pork chops as growing up for both of us, it was all about eating apple sauce with bits of dried shoe leather mixed in.
            Hmmm... those are the ones I had growing up too. However..at about 16 or so I put an end to that. I stuffed and breaded some chops and baked them covered...then dropped them in hot oil for a quick browning. I was requested to do the chops after that

PS: I moved to the Tool Crib. Sounds more logical.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That's one of the best inventions ever made! I have found many "dated" bags while freezer diving, and the contents were just like the day I sealed them!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I have used one for many years and yes, every once in a while I find a surprise of something that got forgotten. It's always been just as good as when I vac-sealed it.
                Saves us a bunch of money every year being able to buy in bulk and then vac-seal and freeze items.
                Jim

Comment

I love the (not so) annual deep freezer defrosting thaw and finding stuff in the bottom of it that I'd totally forgotten about. I recently found a nice chunk of smoked salmon that must be going 7 or 8 years now. At least it must be that long since my wife doesn't do fish and I haven't made any since we've been together. 4 year anniv is this thursday and come february it'll be 7 years together.

Anyway, I'm waiting for a good occasion to try it and see if it's held up to the deep freeze. Vacuum sealed and stored at -10F. I figure it probably won't be the best, but certainly not the worst I've had.
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

Working...
                  X