knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knives

quick question... although I know there will be every knife known to man mentioned now, what is the one knife you cannot live without? the reason i ask is because I need a new set. my Kitchen Aid set that we got a few years ago is starting to look pretty rough. i can sharpen them, hone them, etc, no problem. the issue is that i have to do it almost every time I go to cut anything. doesn't matter what I do/say, they get dinged up, dulled, etc. since I know this, I would like to get a set, and only allow myself to touch them... no dishwasher, no "utility" uses, etc. treat them the RIGHT way.

the major issue is as much as i'd like to go drop a grand on a nice set, it ain't happenin'. the first use they would get would be to butcher my ass by my wife, then they'd get thrown in the dishwasher. lol.

so, i simply ask, if you had one knife that would be a good all-purpose blade, what would it be? I am looking for names people! lol. my biggest thing is sharpness and longevity of the blade. second is versatility. third is comfort. I have never come up against a knife, or any other tool for that matter that I havn't been able to get a feel for pretty quick... "get a good tool and learn to work with it". granted, a good tool should work with YOU, but i'm not as picky as some people. lol

my number one use for this knife will be for slicing and dicing after the meat is cooked. i have found that my hunting knife works best for cleaning and prep'ing so far. maybe a 8" or 10" chef's knife? I am honestly at a loss here.

we have a couple good stores around here for professional cooking supplies. I plan on going around to them after the holidays to see what they have. talk with them, see what they can get in, recommend, etc.

thanks for the input guys! pics are always nice too.

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

I have a great set of wustoff and they really hold an edge,but I have to say I bought some knives at sams in there resturant section they have white handle,I use them for butchering venny, and alot of utility work around the kitchen. For the price they are great knives.They come in 2 packs and are wellworth the price.
    sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
    members mark upright propane smoker
    kingsford bbq
    23"weber kettle

Comment

what ever works for you as far as "hand fit"...........for me, my messermeister 8'' chinese cleaver is my #1 knife.

sigpic
      it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I use Dexter-Russell and Adcraft knives, both brands have a less expensive commercial line. Dexter-Russell calls theirs (Basics). They are intended more for prep. cooks than executive chefs. I like the prices and not bad knives either.

Comment

i've cut many a finger on D/R knives back in the day........i liked those heavy wood handles.
          sigpic
          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

This looks like a pretty good deal.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/cu...ortby=ourPicks
            sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

I like R.H Forschner they have the black handles and they also have the full tang rosewood handles.I have a 6" boning w/rosewood the rest are plastic handles but they are good knives.Hope this helps
              sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

I got a mixed set of Wustof & Henckels..... Like them OK.... & I do put them on the steel before doing anything with them..... About a year ago, I bought a couple of knives for my parents after being asked to filet & BBQ the salmon for Christmas dinner I think it was.... They had a drawer FULL of knives, but they all had an edge like a flat wall.....

I ordered a couple for Mom & a couple for me to try.... They are made by Kiwi knives in Thailand..... They are a much lighter, thinner blade knife with wood handles, which may take some getting used to ..... I reach for it more than the other much more expensive "designer" knives..... I wish they would make/sell a boning/filet style knife with more of a point & longer skinny blade. This is a thin blade & I do run it through a sharpener every couple of uses, but it sharpens easy & is VERY sharp...... I got the four knives for under $20 delivered if memory serves me.... From this place....

http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products...wi-knives.html

Trying not to Hijack this thread, but does anyone else know of, and or prefer the thin blades? And what brands do you like?
                Last edited by Fishawn; 12-04-2010, 12:51 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

I bought my first designer knife not long ago. Sharp as it can get. I too have some kitchen aide and they were never this sharp on the best of days. I have used the santoku style so thats the style I bought. I would say don't waste your money on the knives with the "Dimples",they don't release a thing in my experience. If you do some searching and reading you can help yourself figure out what might be best for you. Such as the length of the knife is usually directly related to the height of the user. Tall people tend to like long blades and visa versa. Shop around at local shops and find a knife you like then check Amazon! Smokin deals there with a lot of free shipping.

Comment

I know the one I would like to have next & I hope I phrase this correct..... Rich has a 8" Wusthof boner....... .... Maybe he will post a pic of it.... or PM you one....
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      I know the one I would like to have next & I hope I phrase this correct..... Rich has a 8" Wusthof boner....... .... Maybe he will post a pic of it.... or PM you one....
                      Well, if you are ever fortunate to get your hands on it, be sure to remember a few things. A Wusthof is not a toy, especially the Boner type. Keep a good strong grip, you don't want to poke yourself with the business end of one of those Boners. And sometimes 8" is more than enough to get the job done.

Comment

Not one in particular

Im a shun freak
                        Anything smoked is da bomb .

Comment

Walking Dude asked a very similar question, This was my response;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I supply my crew with Forshner knives exclusively. For the price and application they can't be beat. For myself, at home, it's Shun Classic, not only are they a work of art, but I've had them for 7 years and only used a stone on them once. I use them every day and I hit them with a steel very regularly. They show virtually no signs of wear on the handles and the blades taper into the handles so they are very easy to keep clean. All in all the best investment I have made in kitchen ware.

JT

Here's the link to that thread Andy, It's a good read!

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...highlight=Shun
                          JT

Comment

For general Kitchen prep, I love my Henckels Twin Santoku. Henckels has 2 lines, the twin series (picture of two dudes)

Is more high end for knives. For a lot of prep, I have boning knife...same series that is awesome, and people that have used it have commented that it is just scary sharp.

I have run across them sometimes at TJ Max or Marshalls, and you can get a screaming deal if you keep a watchful eye and snag them when they are there.
                            Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 12-04-2010, 10:25 AM.
                            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Good question, I still use old knives I pickup at garage sales. I have to admit that I do reach for a cutco paring knife that I paid 25 cents for when the opportunity calls for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X