No announcement yet.

Looking for someone to custom fab me a little branding iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'll shoot you over a quote as soon as i figure something out.

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

this is the best you are going to be able to get, based off of the image that Mark made. the main problem is that once you get the design small enough, you are going to loose the detail. even this design is cutting it pretty tight...

let me know what you think. i have a couple other ideas that will be easier to produce and will last longer also, but want to let you see what we are working with right now.

Later,
      Andy
      Attached Files
      Current babies:
      Former Lineup:
      -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
        Ideas are good - but I'm actually looking for someone to make me one :-)

Still got plenty of dollars and doesn't look like I'm going to get a holiday this year, so they're available for posting :-)

So if anyone wants to give it ago - please do !

I'll see if I can find any ornamental blacksmiths round here. But never heard of any.
        CA...

I realize you want to give someone on the board some business, but I'm telling you Shape Ways will do EXACTLY what you are looking for in GREAT detail. And at a very fair price. They "print" metal in 3D objects.

Here's a quick model I did for ya...

http://www.shapeways.com/model/23667...ml?gid=ug40823

I'm thinking with some tweaking we can get the cost down a good bit. The one I did for myself was only $30.

What cha think?
        ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

Originally posted by ptt49er View Post
          CA...

I realize you want to give someone on the board some business, but I'm telling you Shape Ways will do EXACTLY what you are looking for in GREAT detail. And at a very fair price. They "print" metal in 3D objects.

Here's a quick model I did for ya...

http://www.shapeways.com/model/23667...ml?gid=ug40823

I'm thinking with some tweaking we can get the cost down a good bit. The one I did for myself was only $30.

What cha think?
          for $30, then yeah... i'd go that route. I probably can't even get that piece cut for $30...

Later,
          Andy
          Current babies:
          Former Lineup:

Comment

as far as I can see the shapeways thing isn't metal.

not much info on the site either so who knows

But yeah - cheap and interesting.
            A okay found it - so yep stainless steel.

How do I get marks design into the shapeways thing ? (you read the instructions) Okay I'll go do that.

ACzeller - really like your design too, kinda a mean vark - nice, what we looking at costwise ?
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

AH - knew there would be a catch

Technical properties of 3D printed Stainless Steel
              Material density (printed) 8.07 g/cc
              Melting point 1528 F / 831 C
              UTS 99 KSI (682 MPa)
              Yield 66 KSI (455 MPa)
              Modulus 21.4 MPSI (147 GPa)
              Elongation 2.30%
              Hardness 26 – 30 HRC
              Thermal conductivity 22.6 W/m°K
              Mean CTE 13.4x10e-6/°C
              Specific heat 478 J/kg°K
              All their materials are some sort of non-metal compound. 831c melting point = not suited to purpose of branding iron.
              Given that my little lighter goes up to 1300. Okay the odds are it wouldn't melt - but why take chances ?

But I'll definitely bear it in mind for future use

Back to you andy :-)
              Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-06-2011, 07:07 PM.
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Ain't a water-cutter fine? And I see no reason for more than .375. He's only branding onesie-twosie...not the herd. He can re-heat.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

but is there a chance it would melt ?

Not that I have any idea what you're on about rich - guess when rob stopped drinking in the early hours someone had to take over the mantle of incomprehensibility :-)
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Waterjet would be possible, but it would still be too wide of a kerf. As a reference, in order to make the design like rich had, those lines are less than .03" wide. Mine are 1/16" thick... still pretty hard, even with a laser. The 3-D printing option is whqat I would go for if it were me and I couldn't make them myself.

As far as a price goes, figure $50 plus shipping CA, for me to make one. The high price is because its such a detailed piece, there is only one, etc... not much room for price negotiations between me and my suppliers for this one. Sorry bud.

Later,
                    Andy
                    Current babies:
                    Former Lineup:

Comment

so in your professional opinion would something with a mp of 831 c be suitable for branding a design onto leather ?
                      Or is it just going to melt first time I apply a flame to it ?
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

so in your professional opinion would something with a mp of 831 c be suitable for branding a design onto leather ?
                        If you use steel or stainless steel for your iron, and just heat it with a little propane/MAPP/butane torch, you will be fine. It may warp a little if the wall thickness is too thin, but if you use at least 1/16", you should be fine.

Plastic or aluminum would not be on my list for suitable manufacturing materials.
                        Current babies:
                        Former Lineup:

Comment

CA...

I've used the stainless from shapeways for a branding iron. Gotten it as hot as i could w/ a propane torch (not glowing but dang hot). It burned wood real well...never melted it.
                          ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

Christ mate... heat something to half that and touch it...see how your leather fares.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

AH - knew there would be a catch

All their materials are some sort of non-metal compound. 831c melting point = not suited to purpose of branding iron.
                              Given that my little lighter goes up to 1300. Okay the odds are it wouldn't melt - but why take chances ?

But I'll definitely bear it in mind for future use

Back to you andy :-)
                              Given that my little lighter goes up to 1300F
                              Not C. Shoulld work fine. Still worried then
                              As far as a price goes, figure $50 plus shipping CA, for me to make one.
                              - aczeller - Andy. If he can do it for $50 I'd jump on it.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

CA. Not the cheapest but the best. If you want it to last go with this option. You can have any amount of detail you like in one small area...

http://www.brandingirons.com/fireheated.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO3_kWlI9wc
                                ---------------------------------------------------
                                I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                                ---------------------------------------------------
                                KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
                                X