X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote:
    Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    AH - knew there would be a catch

All their materials are some sort of non-metal compound. 831c melting point = not suited to purpose of branding iron.
    Given that my little lighter goes up to 1300. Okay the odds are it wouldn't melt - but why take chances ?

But I'll definitely bear it in mind for future use

Back to you andy :-)
    Quote:
    Given that my little lighter goes up to 1300F
    Not C. Shoulld work fine. Still worried then
    Quote:
    As far as a price goes, figure $50 plus shipping CA, for me to make one.
    - aczeller - Andy. If he can do it for $50 I'd jump on it.

1300 c - no idea why you stuck the f on the end I didn't :-)
    I only use fahrenheit for food and only because you lot do. It's a cockeyed illogical system that has no place in a sensible world. Seriously a temperature sustem that's based respectively on a mans wifes armpit temperature and how cold he could get a bucket of water, ice and salt to go.

Anyway - so $50 plus p&P okay - I'll look at the electric thingies later.

But back to the relevant question - will a sensible butane torch melt a material with 851c melting point before it's hot enough to burn leather.
    Someone should know, enough of you welders round here :-)
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
      But back to the relevant question - will a sensible butane torch melt a material with 851c melting point before it's hot enough to burn leather.
      Someone should know, enough of you welders round here :-)
      will it melt the whole iron before it gets hot enough to brand the leather, probably not. however, there are a lot of things that go into that MP... average compositions, method of construction, porosity, insulation factors, conductive factors, etc... bottom line, if one of those "average variables" are off a little bit, you may have a problem on your hands.

the biggest problem you will have is longevity... the whole branding iron may not melt, but if you only heat up the "front" portion, or the imprinting portion of the iron, there is a good chance you will start to melt off the design.

Another aspect to look at is that there is a difference between MELTING point and the temperature at which the metal becomes malleable and/or soft. it's a fine line, but when you are working with relatively lower temps like with your butane torch, and smaller pieces, such as your branding iron, it's easier to see the difference. aluminum is not going to be used for your branding iron, but it's a great example of this. if you heat up the aluminum, it can look solid, but as soon as you touch it, it will dent, ding, and bend with hardly any force at all... it can still hold it's shape if it's left alone, but it looses all rigidity. just a little hotter, and it turns to liquid.

the point of that story is that plastics do the same thing. if they are using an adhesive to bond the stainless together, that probably has the lowest melting point of the assembly. if it was actually welded together or machined out of a chunk, it's be a different story. with that being said, if you take your torch to one of those, the metal will probably be fine, but the adhesive will probably melt.

Later,
      Andy
      Current babies:
      -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
      -RichTee's Lang :)
      Former Lineup:
      -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
      -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
      -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
      -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
      BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Thankyou :-)

Also asked the electric branding iron folk for a quote.
        Be interesting to see what they come up with.
        Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-07-2011, 01:11 PM.
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

So three years down the line and I now have my own 3d printer.

Brands are out - but I'm pretty sure I could make an embossing press with out too much difficulty.

Here's a wee test vark i printed out from marks design a short while ago.

Slap a smaller version on a hinged embossing set and should work quite well.
          (printing as I type)

I guess for leather I wet the leather and clamp the embossing thing on and let it dry.

The plastic is easily tough enough for that. Plus when i get round to it I've got some nylon I can use - that seems to be what shapeways are mainly using these days. Though i'm sure they've got some metal sintering machines as well.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-10-2014, 08:21 AM.
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

ran across these a while back:
            (both links are same store)

"and as always we can make any custom branding iron to your specifications...
            just let us know what you have in mind, and we can give you a quote for your own customized branding iron."

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1111995...w_type=gallery

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1594621...w_type=gallery

more to look into:

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=bbq%20...iron&ref=auto1
            Last edited by THUMPERRRR; 09-10-2014, 11:45 AM.
            ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
            ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

If you are a little handy:

1. a Dremel tool with a carbide cutter. Even better with a router attachment, but not required.

2. A small thick piece of aluminum. (1/4" thick)

About 30 minutes of work.

dcarch

Comment

Print your logo in plastic, and seek out a friendly local jeweler and have him cast it for you in bronze. There's your branding iron.
                A few of my favorite things:
                Good Whiskey
                Good Food
                Bad Girls
                sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

yeah - but as i've already got the ability to make most things in plastic and this is just for marking leather sling pouches.

I'll try the wet&clamp embossing thing first.

We're only talking something about an inch long.

Just found a little clamp file I can modify and use :-)
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I've got a 30watt laser engraver that would do the job very nicely!
                    You can't beat the detail you get with a laser!

I did a brick today! Worked perfect but it was SLOW GOING!

Comment

Originally posted by redruff View Post
                      I've got a 30watt laser engraver that would do the job very nicely!
                      You can't beat the detail you get with a laser!

I did a brick today! Worked perfect but it was SLOW GOING!
                      WOW 30watts!Diode? CO2 IR? I have always want one to zap chipmunks.

dcarch

Comment

Originally posted by dcarch View Post
                        WOW 30watts!Diode? CO2 IR? I have always want one to zap chipmunks.

dcarch
                        Co2 its an epilog zing unit. Nice little basic unit.

Comment

Working...
                        X