Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Danger Zone - Low & Slow in the danger zone too long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
    oh,my....
    Well, that pretty much says it all
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Not arguing with Rich at all. I have much respect for his opinions. This discussion does get on my nerves though when I see regulations on how food should be stored applied to the insides of an oven. (That would be some of the hearsay) When I have read this I have asked for a reference that actually speaks of it and never received an answer.

I won't claim to be an expert but I do like to see more then someones written opinion on such important a subject. Anything I write on the subject I can give you a book name and page numbers if you would like. I have been certified in food safety and taken many refresher courses on it. Been a few years which is why I stay out of these discussions for the most part.

Go ahead though and err on the side of caution. Doing so won't hurt.
      "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
      PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
        You know all of those great motorcycle jumps that Evel Knievel did during his career? None of them killed him. That doesn't mean that they were safe.
        The fact he ended up in the hospital after many of those jumps does though.
        "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
        PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
          I gotta go with the "Better safe than sorry" approach.

Hey Fat Head Carl, I bet you didn't think by asking a food safety question we would end up at Evil Knievel and prostitutes.
          Actually, I now feel at home here...because it ended up with Evil Knivel and prostitutes!
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Weber 22.5" Silver
          Weber Performer Platinum
          Smokey Mountain Gas Vertical Water Smoker
          Big Green Egg XL with iQue 110
          [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Fat_Head_Carl View Post
            Actually, I now feel at home here...because it ended up with Evil Knivel and prostitutes!
            Well, I'm glad I didn't scare you away. Hope I didn't scare bbally away. Haven't heard from him yet.

Originally posted by Vlap View Post
            The fact he ended up in the hospital after many of those jumps does though.
            You've got a point there, Vlap. Clearly it wasn't a perfect analogy since some harm did come from his . . . um . . . unsafe practices. Was he harmed every time? No. Do I think that everytime someone doesn't follow the USDA guidelines or inserts a thermometer probe into raw meat that they will get sick? No I don't think that and clearly they won't. But following the recommended guidelines does increase the probability that they and their guests will be safe.

Originally posted by Vlap View Post
            Go ahead though and err on the side of caution. Doing so won't hurt.
            I think that's the point we were trying to make. I think there are lots of new folks who come here not knowing much about the subject. That was the case with me when I joined SMF. I think back to the way I used to do things but I don't say "Well, it must have been fine since no one got sick". I think of it more as "Thank God no one got sick . . . or worse."

And Vlap, even though your certifications may not be current, the fact that you were certified says a lot. I would think you're input would be very valuable.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
              And Vlap, even though your certifications may not be current, the fact that you were certified says a lot. I would think you're input would be very valuable.
              He is one of my heros too :{)
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Everyone is used to their own cooking and germs. We get used to it. Ever wonder why You often feel queasy or upset stomache after going out to eat? It's because of new germs and different cooking techniques than you are used to doing at your home.
                The point being made as far as "guidlines " go, To keep things clean and healthy for other people, guests, children and especially elderly, or folks with lower immune systems.

I would bet that anyone here would not like to get a phone call about a guest or group that you prepaired meats for puking or shitting themselves to death either.

It's all about risks, and why risk any of that. There is no logical reason to risk it, not for money, or laziness, or because grampa always did it that way.
                Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                  a phone call about a guest or group that you prepared meats for puking or shitting themselves to death either.
                  EXACTLY THIS!

/them or me
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  Weber 22.5" Silver
                  Weber Performer Platinum
                  Smokey Mountain Gas Vertical Water Smoker
                  Big Green Egg XL with iQue 110
                  [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

Very interresting and entertaining thread, one question I have on this is, when you have your pork butt in the cooler resting and you then take it out and pull it, is it alright to freeze that meat immediately after pulling ??

Comment

Originally posted by 9manfan View Post
                      Very interresting and entertaining thread, one question I have on this is, when you have your pork butt in the cooler resting and you then take it out and pull it, is it alright to freeze that meat immediately after pulling ??
                      Sure... why not? Assuming you have it bagged and chilling within an hour or so.

Comment

Richtee, this question is for you. Would you interpret this to mean that uncooked or cooked meat can remain in the danger zone for 2 hrs as opposed to 4 hrs which was the guideline back in 2005? "The "Danger Zone" (40 °F-140 °F)
                        Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 ° and 140 °F, doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. This range of temperatures is often called the "Danger Zone." That's why the Meat and Poultry Hotline advises consumers to never leave food out of refrigeration over 2 hours. If the temperature is above 90 °F, food should not be left out more than 1 hour." http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...Food/index.asp
                        At the bottom of the page it says "Last modified August 15, 2006"
                        I posed this question else where and got the "yeah, I saw that too, and I'll e-mail the USDA" Never got an answer. Thanks in advance.
                        sigpic
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        New Braunfels Hondo
                        4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                        1-26" Weber Kettle
                        24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                        Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                          Richtee, this question is for you. Would you interpret this to mean that uncooked or cooked meat can remain in the danger zone for 2 hrs as opposed to 4 hrs which was the guideline back in 2005? "The "Danger Zone" (40 °F-140 °F)
                          Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 ° and 140 °F, doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. This range of temperatures is often called the "Danger Zone." That's why the Meat and Poultry Hotline advises consumers to never leave food out of refrigeration over 2 hours. If the temperature is above 90 °F, food should not be left out more than 1 hour." http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...Food/index.asp
                          I guess I am unsure of the question here- But one possible answer might be that the D.Z. is considered a "cumulative" time in the temp range... EG something cooked, then cooled then reheated could easily be VERY near 4 hours- and the rewarming to the 90° thing..I think that's where most bugs are really happy.

I really do not have historical references to compare with... we DO have an expert floating around- A couple as a matter of fact...
                          Last edited by Richtee; 10-01-2009, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X