Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition... Ok, I'm a fan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition... Ok, I'm a fan.

Ok, it started here with a post by Otis857:
    http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27376

If you read the entire thread you will see a post by me expressing my skepticism. Since then I have been reading and researching these things. There a lot of posts and reviews on YouTube. When I saw the Ken Onion edition, I decided to bust loose from $149.00 and give it a try.

The first thing I tackled was a very old stainless butcher knife that I had in a junk drawer. It had really been badly abused. Sharpened many times with one of those carbide blade pull through things that really screw up a blade. It was extremely dull, nicked and really should have been discarded long ago. I have lots of stuff that should have been discarded long ago, but that's just kind of my nature. I decided to use an angle of 20° as appropriate for kitchen cutlery. One of the things that sold me on the Ken Onion edition is the adjustable angle on the guide. It can be adjusted from 15° to 30°. Another feature that sold me is the variable speed. Also Ken Onion's endorsement is a plus. For those of you who may not know, Ken is an internationally known custom knife maker and designer. He designs for Kershaw and CRKT and others.

Anyway, back to my abused knife. I started with the X65 belt, one step up from the coarsest one. It took 16 to 18 strokes on each side of the blade to bring up a burr that was even along the entire edge. I then proceeded to run 4 strokes on each side with each of the successive belts stopping short of the finest polishing belt. Result is a blade that is wicked scary sharp from point to heel. It will easily shave at any point along the entire blade.

I proceeded to sharpen several more knives, with the same result on each one. I used 25° on the rest, since they were thick blade hunting knives. On my carry knife, a Cold Steel Recon 1 I used 30°. The reason is that I stone sharpen my knives at a steep angle to produce a tougher edge. 30° matched what I had already done on my stones.

Bottom line...I am a big fan. On old dog has learned a new trick.

Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition is highly recommended.
    A few of my favorite things:
    Good Whiskey
    Good Food
    Bad Girls
    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Thanks for the review. I'll have a look at that one. I really need a decent sharpener.
    I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
      Thanks for the review. I'll have a look at that one. I really need a decent sharpener.
      X2. Nice review
      sigpic

Comment

Interesting...can get mine really sharp with a old ceramic/stone gig...the test is the tomato slice...
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

We have one, great tool to have on hand for a quick touch up while deboning deer!
          --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Just to add my .02..

I got one too. And I'm a hard core stone/diamon lapper guy. But this unit is pretty darn good. I use it mainly for re-building an edge, but I have a fine and polish belt... it'll do razors. Not that one needs them in the kitchen...but it will.

SOO much safer for the knife..re-buliding an edge with it instead of my bench grinder...
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Cool, so the KO version is worth the extra $ over the standard system? I have a few sharpening system but I have been tempted to get the WS for kitchen knives.

Comment

Ok, I am sold. I bought a KO edition and it arrived today. I gave it a once over and grabbed a breaker butcher knife that has a 12" blade. It has always been a pain to sharpen properly due to the long length. I used the belts and within 5 minutes I was able to float hair off my arm with the edge. I am impressed. I still like the Wicked Sharp for my serious hunting knives but for every day use the Work Sharp works great.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder! I've had this on my Wish List on Amazon since January. I almost just moved it to the shopping cart, but then noticed that a 3rd party vendor in MN (Glen's Army/Navy) is selling it for $134.95 with free shipping (AND!!! no tax like Amazon collects now, so I saved about $4+tax (so, about $14 total) over Amazon's Prime price!

And I've got some knives that need the TLC, that's for sure!

Edit: Glen's had 3 remaining. I bought one, so he's got 2 left as of now.
                  Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
                  ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
                  Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
                  Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

Working...
                  X