Meat Slicer or Vac Sealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat Slicer or Vac Sealer

I've been looking to purchase one but not sure which would benefit my needs the most. Most things I freeze are usually cooked within 2-4 months. When I go fishing I freeze in water so they last a long time.
    Meat is usually wrapped in freezer paper and when I defrost the meat it looks like the day I put it in the freezer. So I'm not sure I really need a sealer.
    So I am thinking I would get more use out of a slicer. But with that, I probably would only use it to slice bacon, meat for jerky and maybe some cheese.

For those who have both, which do you get the most use out of? I don't want to spend a fortune, under $125.
    I've looked at the Vac Master sealers and the Weston and Chef's Choice slicer.
    I've noticed the Chef's Choice slicer comes with a serrated blade vs a smooth blade. I would think a serrated blade would shred whatever you are trying to slice. Is that accurate? The Weston appears to come with a smooth edge blade, which is what I want.

Does anyone have the Weston 61-0901 or Chef's Choice 609 Premium? if so can you provide your opinions?
    If anyone has the Vacmaster sealers, either the Pro140 or Pro110, can you provide your opinion on those as well?
    Stumps Baby
    Bubba Keg Convection Grill
    Digi Q
    Gasser with 4+ yrs of dust
    Custom end grain cutting board
    Superfast Yellow Thermapen
    18 " Smoke Vault
    12" AMNTS
    AMNPS
    Newbie beer brewer

This varies from person to person. From reading your post I would go with the slicer. You don't freeze long term nor prepare foods that would benefit from being sealed. in my case getting a slicer made getting a sealer more of a necessity as I want to prepare my own lunch meats to control the salt, quality, cost and flavor.
    Weber Smoky Joe
    18" Weber Silver
    22.5" Weber Gold
    22.5" Weber Silver
    UDS X 2
    Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
    Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
    Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
    Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
    Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
    Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
    Blackstone three burner flat top
    5" AMZNPS
    Vortex x 2
    Maverick ET 73
    Maverick ET 732
    Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
    Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
    Pitmaster iQue 110
    sigpic

Comment

I too am interested in info on the slicers. I have a Pro 110 Vacmaster. I haven't used it a huge amount yet, but it has worked flawlessly so far. You definitely do not need to step up to the 140 if your use is limited, in my opinion.
      Good One Heritage Oven
      Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

I use my vac sealers ALOT. I do not use my slicer much at all. I have good knives and have perfected my slicing skills to the point I don't need it...

My needs are prolly way different than yours... So, in answer to your question, whatever you think you are gonna use the most.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Sealer
          sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
          Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
          Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

No brainier, a vacuum sealer. I'd be lost without one.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I've just got the vacmaster 110. I haven't used it much. Mine seems very picky on how the bag is placed in it and the brand of bags I use. Its still better than my rival sealer. A sealer is a necessity here. For years I always borrowed my parents waring slicer. Those are cheap and does a great job. But it can't handle big meat. Which I want to do bacon some day. I kept my eye out on craigslist and scored a cheap globe. Absolutely love it. I've used that more than my vac sealer lately. Tough call check Craig's list. Maybe you can get both for the price of one new.
              sigpic

Comment

If I start making sausage then I might need a vac sealer. I almost pulled the trigger on the vac master 110 last week from vac sealers unlimited- I think that's the site. The shipping was outrageous so I didn't order it. Amazon has it for $71 I think and that's w free shipping. I don't know if they have the bags.
                Maybe I'll check Craig's list but I have not been lucky finding anything.
                Stumps Baby
                Bubba Keg Convection Grill
                Digi Q
                Gasser with 4+ yrs of dust
                Custom end grain cutting board
                Superfast Yellow Thermapen
                18 " Smoke Vault
                12" AMNTS
                AMNPS
                Newbie beer brewer

Comment

I have both, and use my sealer often. That being said I also make most of what we eat and don't go out much and always seem to have leftovers. I don't think you can make a bad choice either way. Good luck.
                  God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
                  Weber Performer Gold
                  Masterbuilt 26" twins
                  Big Chief Electric smoker
                  Brinkmann barrel smoker
                  LEM sausage stuffer
                  Cabela's pro HD grinder
                  Maverick ET-732
                  ThermoWorks Thermapen
                  GrillGrates

Comment

You can get alot more vacuum sealer for $125, than you can get slicer........
                    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                      You can get alot more vacuum sealer for $125, than you can get slicer........
                      True dat... a good slicer will empty your pockets real quick. Not that I would know that...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                        True dat... a good slicer will empty your pockets real quick. Not that I would know that...
                        The only thing you can get if you spend $125 on a slicer is pissed off and frustrated, when it doesn't perform as well as advertised, and breaks within a year....
                        Just saying... you may be able to find something on CL or EBay....
                        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

IC and HH pretty much summed up my thoughts..........
                          sigpic
                          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                            No brainier, a vacuum sealer. I'd be lost without one.
                            X2
                            sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                            members mark upright propane smoker
                            kingsford bbq
                            23"weber kettle

Comment

Another vote for the vac sealer over the slicer. I use my vacuum sealer all the time, probably weekly on average. I use my slicer a few times per year. Do yourself a favor and only cry once and save up to get a good slicer at a later date.

Comment

Working...
                              X