Trichinosis in Wild Hog??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trichinosis in Wild Hog??

The reason for this query is a batch of Summer Sausage I have in the fermentation chamber right now. I will be switching over to hot smoking later this morning. I used venison, lamb and wild pork. The wild pork is the questionable material. The pork has been frozen to -18° for six months. I included the wild pork after reading this
    5.2.5. Trichinosis
    Details on trichinosis can be found in a publication by the National Pork Producers Council (Gamble) and on trichinosis statistics in the USA (CDC 1988). Trichinosis is an infestation of trichinae, or Trichinella spiralis or other Trichinella spp. The parasites invade the muscles causing severe pain and edema. It can be avoided by ensuring that cooked pork or certain wild game meat reaches an internal temperature of 150°F or more. Freezing the pork according to the following chart also can kill trichinae:

Table 5.1. Freezing Pork to Kill Trichinae Freezer Temperature
    Group 1 Days
    5°F 20
    -10°F 10
    -20°F 6
    Group 2 Days
    5°F 30
    -10°F 20
    -20°F 12
    Group 1 comprises product in separate pieces not exceeding 6" in thickness or arranged on separate racks with the layers not exceeding 6" in depth. Group 2 comprises product in pieces, layers or within containers the thickness of which exceeds 6" but not 27" (US FDA 1999).
    The pork I am using was definitely less than 6 inches in thickness, but even in group 2 my pork is way over the minimum time in freezing. The pork in question is definitely NOT from a northern climate and has probable never seen snow...in Florida. It's not written clearly butt I believe the freezing resistant tric is found in bear and in particular game from the far North (verrry cold).

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fs153
    Table 3.

Minimum time and temperature combinations for the heat treatment of all pork muscle tissue, per USDA mandate,

Minimum Internal Temperature Minimum Time (min)
    140 1
    142 1
    144 instant

So I should be safe hot smoking to 145°, 150° internal? (above the thermal death point of the organism (137°F)). If I read this stuff correctly, but I had to look again this morning cause they always say pork, not wild pork.
    Just a double check, maybe I should take it to 170°, but that will render the fat out...
    Last edited by Mark R; 05-18-2014, 08:21 AM. Reason: make table clearer
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

All I can say is I take all my Pork & Beef sausage to 160* IT, so I wouldn't take wild Piggy to any lower temp, but that's Me.

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

The chance that there are any viable trichinae in the sausage after the frezing time is very, very small, but why take the chance? I'd strongly advise cooking the wild boar sausage (or any sausage from a carni/omnivore) to 155 (160 wouldn't hurt, either). I see no reason to go to 170.

Trichinosis is transmitted by eating meat from infected animals, so the products made from deer and other herbivores are fine.
      Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 05-18-2014, 10:38 PM.
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
        The chance that there are any viable trichinae in the sausage after the frezing time is very, very small, but why take the chance? I'd strongly advise cooking the wild boar sausage (or any sausage from a carni/omnivore) to 155 (160 wouldn't hurt, either). I see no reason to go to 170.

Trichinosis is transmitted by eating meat from infected animals, so the products made from deer and other omnivores are fine.
        Yea, that's what I was thinking butt I thought I'd throw it out there. Just getting ready to start the hot smoke, so I'll be a while.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Boy do they smell good!
          Mark
          sigpic

Comment

I would do 152 F. But im crazy like that... Sorry i lied, 153-154 just to make sure they all reached 152 thruought
            Last edited by Charcuteryan; 05-18-2014, 11:19 AM.
            sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
            Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
            Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
              I would do 152 F. But im crazy like that... Sorry i lied, 153-154 just to make sure they all reached 152 thruought

I've been reading about guys using that specific number (152*) for years.

Anybody knows what authority that comes from?

All I ever read & do is 160*, but that 152* must come from somewhere, or so many guys wouldn't be using it.

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                I've been reading about guys using that specific number (152*) for years.

All I ever read & do is 160*, but that 152* must come from somewhere, or so many guys wouldn't be using it.

Bear
                No idea John, 137° is the magic number, hence the 140° rule, but you want a bit of a margin with this. I'm lookin for 155°....and will check all ten 1lb chubs.
                Mark
                sigpic

Comment

Between the freezing and the heat treatment, it would have to be a very, very, genetically superior little cyst to survive. Especially if you are going eith a fermented recipe.....
                  Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                    Between the freezing and the heat treatment, it would have to be a very, very, genetically superior little cyst to survive. Especially if you are going eith a fermented recipe.....
                    Yea, I know...butt there is this little voice of maybe doubt... They're at 145° an goin to 155° just cause....
                    Mark
                    sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

Miriam Stoltzfus' authority who probably would have smacked my ass with a switch if i let her chubs get above that!
                      sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
                      Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
                      Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                        so the products made from deer and other omnivores are fine.
                        Herbivors?
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

lol - whoops - yep!

i thought it as i was typing, but evidently my fingers went elsewhere...

will edit, and thanks for letting me know!
                          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                          Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

I never use wild pig in any of my cured sausages as I posted in another thread Rich stared..

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I agree with Texas Hunter. I typically make small 10-15 lb batches of sausage ten times a year. I don't take any chances with wild pigs. If I'm going to eat one she's going to be thoroughly cooked.

Comment

Working...
                              X