Poultry and safe cooking temperatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
    You will never go back! The texture and taste is.....
    I was afraid you might say something like this...wife says i need no more projects.....but i keep checking ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by gonefishin View Post
      Where did you get the 2.5 hours (@140f)? I'm just wondering because it's quite a bit different from the 35 minutes (@140f) I've found elsewhere.
      This is where,
      http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/con...df?MOD=AJPERES

as posted in the beginning of the thread.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

This is where,
        http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/con...df?MOD=AJPERES

as posted in the beginning of the thread.

Okay...I still only find duration for chicken at 35 min or less (down to 29 minutes)out of all the documents and charts you posted.

As I said, if this was cooking preference or a recipe...it wouldn't even be anything to question. But in the context of Poultry and safe cooking temperatures, with many references to minimum safe temperature at duration...I think it helps to be sure the info is good. I know you have tons of experience with SV cooking and don't doubt your expertise at all. But everything I can find, online...and in the documents and charts you've linked says chicken is SV @140 for 35 minutes, and some info mention down to 29minutes, in order to be safe to consume. Quite a ways off from 2.5 hours at 140.

Either way...I'm out of this one

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by gonefishin View Post
          Okay...I still only find duration for chicken at 35 min or less (down to 29 minutes)out of all the documents and charts you posted.

As I said, if this was cooking preference or a recipe...it wouldn't even be anything to question. But in the context of Poultry and safe cooking temperatures, with many references to minimum safe temperature at duration...I think it helps to be sure the info is good. I know you have tons of experience with SV cooking and don't doubt your expertise at all. But everything I can find, online...and in the documents and charts you've linked says chicken is SV @140 for 35 minutes, and some info mention down to 29minutes, in order to be safe to consume. Quite a ways off from 2.5 hours at 140.

Either way...I'm out of this one

Dan
          Sorry Dan, my bad the time and temp came from here,
          http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-us...mperatures.htm
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Sorry Dan, my bad the time and temp came from here,
            http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-us...mperatures.htm

I started to feel like we were going in circles so figured I'd leave my comments at that. But after your updated link, I see where my confusion was coming from with your post.

It seems the 2.5 hours,@140, you referenced was for recipe instructions, rather than the duration to hold an internal temp. Because everything we were talking about was referring to holding the internal temperature, and not total SV time, I was confused where the 2.5 hours came from. I suspected there was more to the story, but wasn't sure where you got the referenced number.

Thanks for sticking with it and explaining yourself...I figured it may have been coming from a recipe but didn't want to just assume.
            thanks,
            Dan

Comment

Working...
            X