Carbon Del Sur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Del Sur

Around the fourth I was at Restaurant Depot, and they had some new lump...being up for an experiment, I bought a bag of Carbon Del Sur - 9 bux for 18 lbs.

It is a columbian hardwood lump.

Poured it out of the bag and sorted through it...all lump that came from trees and not scraps of lumber. It was in the shape of logs, and had a good distribution of sizes. There was some dust in the bag, but it was not what I would consider out of the ordinary.

Some of the pieces were pretty long, in this case about 11 inches...so if your rig is picky about longer pieces, you will have to break these up.

I did find a couple of tiny pieces that weren't fully carburized and one spiral weed. There were no rocks or other debris in the bag, just lump charcoal.

It ignited quickly...one flick of the match on the turkey burner and it was off to the races!

It had a pleasant smell to it. I typically like the smell of the south american hardwoods, and this was no different.

When I poured it out of the chimney it did have some ash on it, so it will probably produce a small bit of ash...it (the ash) was incredibly light and I doubt it would cause a problem unless you have a smoker with micro air vents, in which case you should be shopping for a new smoker instead of a new lump.

Doing a cook with it this afternoon...I expect good results. At this point, I'd buy this stuff again.
    Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 08-10-2014, 09:38 PM. Reason: You try typing on a tiny keyboard with giant man hands. Besides there is a button for editing!
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Not bad... I get B&B Oak or Hickory lump for $10.99 / 20lb. bag at Academy Sports

Comment

I have never seen that brand Dana... good report! Thanks for the heads up... I am very interested in hearing/seeing what this does 4u!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
        I have never seen that brand Dana... good report! Thanks for the heads up... I am very interested in hearing/seeing what this does 4u!
        Yeah Phil, there isn't much info on it...generally well received on Amazon reviews. No review on Naked Whiz yet. It smells good...throwing it at some Hunky brined chicken with a chunk of Peach this afternoon...then some Salmon for dinner. If RD keeps it in their stock, I'll keep buying it. Also going to buy a bag for a self proclaimed lump charcoal snob at work...He'll give it the acid test and really let me know what is what.
        BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
          Yeah Phil, there isn't much info on it...generally well received on Amazon reviews. No review on Naked Whiz yet. It smells good...throwing it at some Hunky brined chicken with a chunk of Peach this afternoon...then some Salmon for dinner. If RD keeps it in their stock, I'll keep buying it. Also going to buy a bag for a self proclaimed lump charcoal snob at work...He'll give it the acid test and really let me know what is what.

I am very interested in this... gonna pay attention to this thread for sure! I love RO lump, butt this stuff looks really nice!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

OK, I like it...a lot. I would like to think the Awesome Pit Master at Casa De Engineer controls every aspect, but the heat source flavor / aroma is a variable that is outta my hands. This has a nice slightly perfumed wood smoke to it, and this is how my chicken looked. It is Really farkin' tasty...OK, I can't stay out of it.

There is a bit more ash than RO would generate, but the small amount that I put in the mini maiden is still going strong. Got some breakfast sausage on right now, and some salmon planned for later. The point with this is that I believe this to have some staying power.

If RD still has a stock, I'll not only buy again, but I'll prolly stock up.
            BBQ Eng.

Comment

nice review and dig that color on the chicken............
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I'll be going there this week... and grab a bag. Thanks Dana. And that yardbird looks fantastic :{)
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice bird... don't have RD not near any place close...
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    I'll be going there this week... and grab a bag. Thanks Dana. And that yardbird looks fantastic :{)
                    Rich if you are going to RD...look for some of these in the meat case...you won't regret it.
                    BBQ Eng.

Comment

Great review! Chicken looks great!!!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                        OK, I like it...a lot. I would like to think the Awesome Pit Master at Casa De Engineer controls every aspect, but the heat source flavor / aroma is a variable that is outta my hands. This has a nice slightly perfumed wood smoke to it, and this is how my chicken looked. It is Really farkin' tasty...OK, I can't stay out of it.

There is a bit more ash than RO would generate, but the small amount that I put in the mini maiden is still going strong. Got some breakfast sausage on right now, and some salmon planned for later. The point with this is that I believe this to have some staying power.

If RD still has a stock, I'll not only buy again, but I'll prolly stock up.
                        great review man,,, an some fine lookin bird!!!
                        ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                        ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Great looking birdies, and a great review... I'm on it!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                          X