Meat slicer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat slicer

Does anyone here have a meat slicer? I'm looking into one to save my family money by purchasing bulk deli meats instead of sliced lunch meat.

I'm looking at this one. Anyone have an opinion?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

That looks like one for my christmas list. I can tell you which one not to get!
    sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
    Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
    Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

I can tell you which one not to get!
      So... why dontcha?
      A few of my favorite things:
      Good Whiskey
      Good Food
      Bad Girls
      sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
      Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Dont get any of the cheap department store ones with the serrated blade. I hate mine but i cant bitch cuz it was a gift. I could do better with a hacksaw on a fishing boat at night time. Theyr around $100. That one looks much better for only $30 more and it looks like it got good reviews
        Last edited by Charcuteryan; 09-02-2014, 03:01 PM.
        sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
        Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
        Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Yup lot's of fellas have meat slicers around here, I'm pretty sure you get what you pay for in slicers. I got a Hobart for a steal
          Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
          Weber 22.5" WSM
          Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
          Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
          Weber Smokey Joe
          GMG Daniel Boone
          Pit Barrel Cooker
          Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
          6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
          Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
          The Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
            Yup lot's of fellas have meat slicers around here, I'm pretty sure you get what you pay for in slicers. I got a Hobart for a steal
            The problem I have with a Hobart is that I don't have a place to put it. My wife needs to be able to put it away in a cabinet, so it has to be fairly light. I'm hoping this one is good, but if it's crap... well I guess Amazon will have to take it back and I'll have to get a bigger one...

I also considered buying a table to keep it on and keep it out all the time, but I have too many small children that might get into it (and since we do foster care, the social workers would likely freak out that the kids might get into it and cut themselves).

Unless someone knows about a really small Hobart slicer...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus52980 View Post
              The problem I have with a Hobart is that I don't have a place to put it. My wife needs to be able to put it away in a cabinet, so it has to be fairly light. I'm hoping this one is good, but if it's crap... well I guess Amazon will have to take it back and I'll have to get a bigger one...

I also considered buying a table to keep it on and keep it out all the time, but I have too many small children that might get into it (and since we do foster care, the social workers would likely freak out that the kids might get into it and cut themselves).

Unless someone knows about a really small Hobart slicer...
              Yup slicers and kids don't go together very well, good choice
              Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
              Weber 22.5" WSM
              Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
              Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
              Weber Smokey Joe
              GMG Daniel Boone
              Pit Barrel Cooker
              Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
              6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
              Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
              The Vortex

Comment

If you are buying a cheaper household slicer, it will last a lot longer if you don't use it to slice cheese......
                Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                  If you are buying a cheaper household slicer, it will last a lot longer if you don't use it to slice cheese......
                  Seems like good advice. Fortunately, I have no intention of using it to slice cheese. :)

We buy all aged cheese anyway, (2 of my kids have lactose issues) and from what I understand, aged cheese doesn't do that well on a slicer anyway...

Comment

My Son shares his with me. It's a Chef's Choice #645, but it sells for $400.

It has a small 7" blade like that #615 you're looking at, but I love it !!!

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

It looks to me as though this would be a great slicer for your needs and within your budget. Quality and construction look good, and nearly all of the reviews look to be very positive. I've found that the "negative" reviews (when there are only a handful versus a multitude of good ones) are usually from people who don't know what they are doing, and so they blame the product.

Also, if the price really is a sale price as it appears to be, then it is a screaming deal as well.

To be totally honest, if I had the money, I'd get one right now, so I say go for it!
                      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                        It looks to me as though this would be a great slicer for your needs and within your budget. Quality and construction look good, and nearly all of the reviews look to be very positive. I've found taht the "negative" reviews (when there are only a handful versus a multitude of good ones) are usually from people who don't know what they are doing, and blame to product.

Also, if the price really is a sale price as it appears to be, then it is a screaming deal as well.

To be totally honest, if I had the money, I'd get one right now, so I say go for it!
                        Who am I to argue with Tas? I pulled the trigger! Comes in on Thursday!

Now to see how much I can budget to buy meat from restaurant Depot...

Comment

For the record, this ends up costing more like $200 when you add in a 2nd blade (the blade that comes with it is serrated, and a flat blade should also be needed) and then a sharpener for the blade.

Comment

Congrats on the purchase ~ I hoenstly wish I could afford to get one too, because it does look like a good, honest deal for home use - even with the extras.

Let us know how you like it!
                            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Working...
                            X